Honeywell Vista Alarm Power Cycling / Resetting on its own

Old 06-19-19, 09:46 AM
Honeywell Vista Alarm Power Cycling / Resetting on its own

I do not know what version of honeywell alarm this is. I'm sure its an older vista version (installed 2007)
All of a sudden the Alarm has started to reset itself. As if I just unplugged and reconnected the power. I get a very short siren sound (sometimes), the keypad displays d1 not ready then goes back to normal. My codes are all still set as well as the zones. However the only thing that has changed is the chime is now off. So when you open the door it doesn't beep. I can turn the chime back on and randomly minutes later it will be off again. It is doing this throughout the day every day now. I may not hear the siren but the chime will turn itself off and I assume it would have power cycled again said d1 not ready as it boots up.

Things I have tried to do:
Eliminate zones as in remove the connections. I have two motion detectors, both are disconnected. I have the siren disconnected. I have 3 door sensors. I have removed 1 of the 3 so far I still have the problem. I don't know if I have a board problem or possibly just a transformer. I have heard suggestions of over voltage but I have eliminated the powered things, as mentioned above unless there is something else I don't know about.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-19, 11:23 AM
Upvotes Received: 11
It actually sounds like your panel battery is dead and your panel is doing a power cycle every time the AC power hiccups.

If you have a Control Panel in a steel cabinet, separate from the keypad, then you probably need to replace the SLA (Sealed Lead-Acid) battery inside the cabinet. If you've never changed the battery since it was installed, you _definitely_ need to replace that battery. I'd recommend a 12V, 7 or 8 AH battery.
That's if you have a Control Panel in a steel cabinet, remember.

Also inside the cabinet (if any) should be a wiring diagram and name of the model number of your system. It will probably be something like Vista-10, Vista-10SE, Vista-20(or 20SE), something like that.

If you have a Control-Keypad All-in-One system, that's one of the Lynx panels and the Panel battery is very different. You may have to take it off the wall to get the model number off the back. If possible, post a picture of it.

If you don't know which you have and can't find a steel cabinet for the Panel, post a picture of your Keypad.

Last edited by ChosunOne; 06-19-19 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-19-19, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have replaced the 12v battery if this is what you are talking about (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) it had failed a couple years ago and remained connected. Immediately I received warning beeps letting me know the battery had died.

I have also ran the system without the transformer plugged, meaning only on battery. I have also disconnected the battery completely. Either way the symptoms continue. I do have a steel cabinet. I can't find an exact model anywhere on the wiring diagram but it looks like a vista and says honeywell on the circuit board chip. All the wiring diagrams and videos titled vista I've seen matches what I have. So I'm really confident its a version of Vista. Now if a 4ah battery is not good enough is it possible my transformer is going bad? If that was the case it should run fine on the battery unless it has issues too. I have two other door sensors (zones) that I have not disconnected after that their would be nothing else connected as I have remove the phone connection too.

Old 06-19-19, 11:50 AM
Upvotes Received: 2
It could also be that something powered from the panel occasionally drawing excess current (failing device or burgeoning short), dropping voltage enough to reset the microprocessor.

Old 06-19-19, 03:27 PM
I read back over your original post and I think I have to revise my response. If your system is power-cycling several times a day, every day; then I don't think your line power is hiccuping that often. So I don't think it's a loose connection on the battery (which can sometimes gives this kind of trouble during an AC Fail).

It sounds like you've tried taking power off powered sensors and everything else powered from Terminals 4 & 5, (except your keypads?) so they're not shorting/overdrawing to cause this symptom. Hardwired door and window sensors from zones 1 through 8 can't draw power down, not even if they short to ground.

A shorting keypad, RF Receiver, or Hardwire Zone expander (4219) or Relay Module (4220 or 4204) is vanishingly rare. Do you have any other powered devices being fed from Terminals 4 & 5?

A failing Control Panel is usually the last thing I suspect; but that's what it's starting to sound like here.

Question: What kind of Keypad(s) do you have? Go look on eBay at Honeywell Ademco 6139, 6160, 6150, 6128 & 6148 KP's and see if you can identify your keypad(s). Otherwise, you'd need to take the backplate(s) off the wall(s) to read the model numbers. Do you have more than one keypad so you can disconnect them one at a time to see if they're causing this symptom?

Old 06-19-19, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 21
To figure out your proper model number, look at the edges of the PC board. There should be a printed part number, usually beginning "SAV".

Old 06-19-19, 05:06 PM
The keypad is the only thing left that is connected to 4,5 (6 and 7). I took the panel off and this is what I have come up with via google: FA270RF Keypad is the First Alert version of Ademco's 6150

Found the board identification at the very top center SAVS15P3

Old 06-19-19, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a Vista 15p, probably the First Alert version.

https://kylinks.net/kysec/pdf/VISTA-...0(Install).pdf

Old 06-20-19, 06:45 PM
Assuming I start with replacing the keypad, can I use the standard 6150 or do I need the exact replacement for the First Alert version? At this point I am thinking keypad or main board after that I don't know. I also want to confirm if I replace the keypad, there shouldn't be any re-programming correct?

Old 06-21-19, 08:35 AM
No, an FA209RF is the First Alert version of a 6150RF Keypad, which is the keypad combined with 5883 M transceiver for your RF (wireless) devices. The RF keypad will obviously cost more. And yes, there is no panel re-programming involved in switching keypads. Just be sure you get your existing KP's address before you remove it, and program that address in the new KP, in Keypad Local Programming. Download the 6150RF Installation instructions for how to do that. My first guess is that you'll find your KP set at Address 17.

I strongly suspect that you're going to have to replace the control panel to resolve the problem. It's not impossible, but I think it's unlikely that the keypad is causing your problem.

I don't know how you feel about buying off eBay, but I did a quick check and found that a used Vista-20P costs about the same as a Vista-15P, and either costs about the same as a 6150RF. I'd recommend buying the Vista-20P.

I'm sure you've figured out that if you buy a new Control Panel, that you'll have to reprogram it from scratch, and you'll need a 6160 or 6139 Keypad to do that. I recommend buying that one off eBay---it doesn't have to look good, you can just hook it up at the Control Panel to use for programming, and leave it out of sight.

Old 06-21-19, 12:04 PM
I am thinking its the board too unfortunately. The only thing that throws me off is the RF part as I do not have any wireless at all on the system. Everything is hardwired. Oh wait (I recall as I'm typing this). There are two key fobs that were never given to me when I took ownership of the house because they lost them supposedly. That is why its RF then. So if I don't have those do I still need the RF version? Where would the receiver for the RF keyfob signal be? Wouldn't that be the keypad? The panel is in the basement so I don't think that would be able to receive the signal based on proximity. Now I'm really taking a leap but is it possible that is was is creating my issue. The RF portion malfunctioning?

Old 06-21-19, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How many zones are on your system. It's a variation on a Vista 15p, which means it only supports 6 wired zones, if you have zones above that number, the you have wireless zones.

It is highly unlikely that the keypad/receiver is the cause of the described behavior. This sounds like the power supply circuitry on the main board is reaching it's end of life.

Old 06-21-19, 03:24 PM
No, an RF Reciever/Transceiver can't cause a power-cycle type malfunction; or at least it's extremely unlikely. Also, an RF failure has its own trouble code, so there's no indication of any RF malfunction here.

The location of the panel is not relevant, since the keyfob signals are received in the keypad/transceiver and passed to the Panel via the KP's data wires.

Old 06-21-19, 06:35 PM
I have 6 total zones including the key fob. I guess I need to bite the bullet and replace the main panel. At this point my main concern is still being able to use 3 wired door sensors and the 2 wired motion detectors, and siren with whatever version of the vista board I purchase etc. Those wired parts are universal (vista universal) I presume, correct?

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 06-21-19, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wired contacts are just magnetically actuated switches. No brains, they work with any system that uses normally closed contacts.

Old 06-22-19, 02:25 AM
Don't confuse number of zones with _zone numbers_. With the Honeywell/Ademco panels, zone _numbers_1 through 8 are reserved for the 6 or 8 hardwired on-board zones---even for panels like yours with only 6 on-board zones.

I'm guessing you have a list with zone numbers 1 through 5, and a sixth zone (probably a panic zone?) with a zone number 9 or above.

Old 06-27-19, 08:20 PM
I have a wireless door sensor and the rest of the motion and sensors are wired I don't want to replace those.

I found a new Vista 15P for $50 Can I keep my existing keypad, the first alert version of the 6150RF (FA270RF) and use the rest of my stuff assuming its the board that is the main problem?

The next best that I found was $179 for the 20p with a 6160RF Keypad

Old 06-28-19, 02:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It _should_ work with a Vista 20p. but, you still need a 6160 model keypad to do the set up and programming. The one you have cannot access the programming menus.

If you can find a used one that is functional, you can leave the FA270RF as the use keypad, and just connect the programming keypad as a temporary.