keypad wires

Old 07-04-19, 08:39 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
keypad wires

I just removed my old DSC 5010 home security keypad. I was expecting to see a red and black wire, but there are two white wires with 4 multicoloured wires in each wire. What type of wires are these?

Attached Images  
Old 07-05-19, 02:30 AM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
Those are two "quad" (quadruple,or 4-wire) cables. It helps to differentiate wires (single conductors) from cables (multiple conductors in the same insulating sheathing).

One cable comes from the 5010 Panel (Panel = Control Panel, not the keypad) . Red and black are the power wires, and green and yellow are the data wires between Panel and Keypad. Your control panel is the "brain" of your system and usually lives in a steel cabinet in some out-of-the-way place in a closet, basement, or utility area. If you'll look inside the steel cabinet door, you may see a wiring diagram for the 5010 Control Panel.

The other white cable probably goes to some other data bus device, which might be another keypad but could also be a hardwire expansion module or RF (wireless) Receiver module. That cable might even be serving more that one device.

Those modules use the same wiring as keypads: Two power wires and two data wires, which all connect to the aux power & data bus terminals of the Panel.
The keypad you removed was also serving as a junction point for another device or devices.

Shepweiler voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: