Looking for advice on a system I can do myself

Old 07-07-19, 12:52 PM
Looking for advice on a system I can do myself

Hello, I'm new here, glad to 'meet' you all. I use to install DSC systems 'back in the day' (mid to late 2000's), before they all became wireless. I've a new home with an unfinished basement and I'd like to install a security system myself. Google searches review services, but not so much the hardware itself. I'm hoping you can help me with that.

What I would like is a system that is capable of wired and wireless sensors, roughly 16 zones, capable of interfacing with a surveillance system, and ideally... able to be certified by an Installer and linked to a Monitoring service.

I can always go back to what I know and put in a DSC system, but there's undoubtedly been a lot of advancements in the last 12 years and I'd like to look at all my options. I'm sure these questions get asked all the time, and I apologize for the spam if that is the case, but I would appreciate any help. Thanks up front.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-19, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 21
Actually, the changes over the last 10 years or so have been relatively minor. Mostly in terms of more communication options, really. Unless you are looking for fairly high-end features; nearly any of the major brands will do the trick. The one big change, is nearly every system integrates wireless pretty seamlessly.

Since you are already basically familiar with DSC interfaces and nomenclature, I'd advise sticking with that brand family. Adding wireless just means choosing to add a RF receiver model keypad, or a receiver module at the system head end. They have plenty of optional add on modules; so, unless you want to do something really "out there", you should be fine.

Frraksurred voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-15-19, 05:32 AM
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. Was looking like this thread was just going to die, glad you spoke up.

Old 07-15-19, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 21
Remember, volunteer forums, people aren't around 24-7...