Running ethernet for security cameras

Old 07-09-19, 07:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running ethernet for security cameras

I'm installing some wireless security cameras that can either connect to the wifi or Ethernet. I want to use Ethernet but I have a couple questions. The router is located at one end of the house. The camera for that part of the house will connect directly to the wired port on the back of the router.

The other 2 cameras will be on the other end of the house. I'm thinking of running Ethernet to that part of the house then use a switcher like this one to power both the desktop and the 2 cameras.

Will a switcher work or do I need to add another router to that end of the house powered by a Ethernet cable from the main router then run the cameras off of that? I got one camera installed running off the wifi and recording to the computers hardrive.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-19, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
If the cameras have a separate power supply then you can connect them to any network switch or router. If the camera needs power from the network cable (has no separate power supply) then you need to use a POE (power over ethernet) router.

Old 07-10-19, 06:16 AM
What model are the cameras? FYI, i have some Honeywell cameras (older model) wired in to powerline adapters and they work like a charm!
https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Com...8&node=1194444

Powerline adapters are much better than wifi extenders imo.

Old 07-11-19, 07:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
What model are the cameras?
These are the cameras that I'm installing. Each one comes with it's own A/C adapter.

Old 07-11-19, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
I don't see any mention of Ethernet connections to those cameras. Just the power adapter.
They appear to be strictly wireless.

Old 07-12-19, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Scroll down to about the middle of the page and there's an illustration of "Ethernet & Wi-Fi Connection".

ieGeek camera supports both WiFi and Ethernet cable connection. It offers you the best live video experience. Choose the connection method according to the installation, your camera won’t lose connection anymore.