Need help programing DSC system

Old 07-09-19, 08:29 PM
Smile Need help programing DSC system

I am a 2nd hand owner of a DSC Security System, I wasn't given a manual or any information about the codes for the system when I bought my house. I left the system powered off for 20 years because it was beeping and I didn't have any interest in using it or fixing it. Today, 20 years later, I learn that the monitoring company that had been associated with my alarm had gone bankrupt some years ago. So I turned it on (it's not like it could dispatch police anymore).

I didn't know the code or have any manual for it, so I just pressed some buttons and armed the system by accident without even knowing the code. Someone else in the house walked passed a motion detector and the horn went off full blast.
I found a manual on the DSC website but it mentions a lot about calling your installer for various issues. I don't know who installed my alarm and I don't really want to pay someone to fix something I can do myself with help from people of the internet.
I did a full factory reset on the system without thinking that it would erase the zones too. Well, it erased everything. Zones, codes and all.

I found some programing manual from DSC online on how to do it but it is very complicated and I can't figure it out. I was hoping someone here knows about my system and can help me get it working again.

I know my keypad model and the DSC website shows what control panels you may have based on that. I don't know which panel it is but I hope it is more or less the same to program.

I have 2 DSC LED5508 Panels as well as various motion and door sensors.

Also, now after the reset the trouble light is on and when I check the troubles, 6 of the 8 zone lights all turn on.. I hope it isn't too messed up.
I will be very grateful if anyone can help me with this issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-19, 09:16 PM
Upvotes Received: 11
Good job on doing a reset to factory default values. You were going to have to do that anyway, without the codes to the system.

The next thing you need is to find the model number of your control panel. The default reset you did pretty much works for all models (afaik), but you need to have the installation/programming manual for your particular panel model. There's a lot of difference in programming between different models. Don't change anything else in programming until you know for sure what model number Panel you're working with.

Here's a link to an eBay page because I often use eBay for their abundant pix: The page is for a panel model# PC5010, a popular model. Look at the close-up pix of the Control Panel Cabinet and notice that the "Power 832" is underlined and near the right end of the line is "PC5010" which is the actual model number of the panel that lives inside.
Also look on the wiring diagram inside the cabinet's door and you might find the model number.
To be certain, look on the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) itself for a model number. On the PC5010, it's usually printed below the lower right corner of the large aluminum heat sink.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...C5010&_sacat=0

Old 07-15-19, 11:37 AM
Response

My control panel box was provided by the monitoring company I assume because the only thing on it is their company name and the inside of the door has nothing attached or printed on it. I checked the PCB and the only thing in the location you described is “C35”. On the top of the PCB it says “DSC... Made in Canada... UA000 Rev 02” if that helps identify it at all. If it would help, I can take a photo of the inside of the control box and the PCB and upload it.

Old 07-15-19, 04:25 PM
Upvotes Received: 11
Okay, it sounds like you have a later model than the only DSC panel I have handy. You _may_ have a PC1616, a PC1832, or a PC1864.

A picture is always helpful, or you could also search pictures on eBay. I use eBay as a resource because sellers often post pictures that make it easy to identify items. Search through the DSC PC1616, etc, models and see if one of them looks like your panel. You may have to go through several different entries to find a seller who posts good pictures that enlarge enough to see a good PCB layout.

Old 07-16-19, 02:44 PM
As you recommended, I searched eBay for a listing that resembles my system and I have found it. I have included the link below:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DSC-1555-50...sAAOSwVopdF660
If you are knowledgeable with this specific system, It would help me greatly if you help walk me through the setup process as looking at the DSC provided programming books seem very complicated and I don't understand much of what is written in them.

I have also looked at the DSC website again with the model of the eBay listing and it shows the panel being used with a different variant of DSC keypad.

According to the eBay post, I have a DSC 1555 control panel but my keypads all say Power 832.

Old 07-17-19, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 21
DSC keypads for most of the "power series" systems are largely interchangeable. If you have 6 ones it's probably a 1555, if there's 8 zones, then it's a Power 832 (PC5010). Typically the model number is written on the main IC chip, but on some of the early models, it was an adhesive label that can fall off.

First, to walk you through this, we need to know what your zones are.

Old 07-22-19, 04:17 PM
Ok, the total number of units (Door sensors and motion sensors) is 5 listed on the keypads. 1: Front door. 2: Side door. 3: Patio door. 4: basement motion detector. 5: M/F (or mlf... bad handwriting) motion.

But there is another box on the wall of a dining room that looks like it could be a motion detector but it looks different from the other 2 motion detectors. There is no visible markings or branding on it. It is not mentioned on the lists attached to the keypads. It also has a button on the front. Upon opening this box, I immediately saw a 9 Volt battery inside and a component on the PCB found in the other motion detectors of the house. It has no wires going into the wall. Just a wall plate for mounting. I don’t know how that will get set up.

Also I believe only 1 of the door sensors are actually wired and built inside of the door and frame. I believe the rest are wireless as they have batteries. I probably need to replace all of them by now because the attached led doesn’t flash anymore when opened and closed.

Old 07-22-19, 05:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The way to tell how many zones is to just count the zone inputs on the main board, actually, but I'm guessing that you probably have a 6 zone system, with maybe 5 in use.

The thing with the 9v battery isn't likely part of the security system.

I doubt that the system has wireless zones. Sadly, your description is missing enough information, that it's hard to be certain.

Right now, we will assume that you have a PC1555 with the zones as described.
Installer manual: https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13598

If all of your zones are currently showing open, first we fix that:
*8 [installer code]
013 - press 1 to turn ON option 1
Press #
Zone definitions
press 001
01 01 03 05 05 00 00 00
Press # until you exit programming.

See if those zones are working the way you expect, before we try to set a new master code.

Old 07-23-19, 09:09 AM
I will try that. However, I am pretty sure that my main control panel has some way of wireless communication with the motion detectors and door sensors as my house only seems to have possibly 1 door sensor that is wired as well as 1 wired motion detector. The rest seem to be wireless. All the wireless units have buttons on the circuit boards. Do I need to press them before starting this programming process?

Old 07-23-19, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At this point, without some photos, or device model numbers, we are kinda flailing in the dark. Security alarm installs are _all_ custom installs, in essence; and aside from the manufacturer's designed wireless devices, there are third party devices that can be interfaced with the system in various ways.

This is insufficient information being provided to give you a meaningful answer.

Old 07-23-19, 09:49 PM
What photos can I post to help you better understand my setup? I can post them to my website and give you the link to access them.

Old 07-24-19, 02:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Photos of your wireless devices, a photo of the interior of the control panel box, preferably sharp enough to be able to read the labels on the chips.