Ademco 6270 TouchCenter

Old 07-18-19, 06:22 PM
Ademco 6270 TouchCenter

Hi, How do I perform a factory reset on a Touchscreen without programming? Cos I read on other posts that without a keypad the programming canít be accessed.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-19, 04:38 PM
Upvotes Received: 11
Sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding your question. I'm not sure what you mean by "perform a factory reset on a Touchscreen without programming." The way you phrase it, it's kind of ambiguous.

What model and version Control Panel do you have, is the Touchscreen enrolled and working with the Panel now, and are you trying to reset the Control Panel (whichever model that is) or the Touchscreen?

Old 07-20-19, 10:26 AM
I donít have the master or installer codes on the Ademco 6270 Honeywell alarm. But the alarm doesnít have a keypad either. It is a TouchCenter.

I would like to know how to reset it to factory defaults where I can get or set a new master code. I tried to access Advanced Settings with 4112 and 4140 but these arenít working. Is there away for me to reset the wall alarm?
Thank you.

Old 07-20-19, 11:26 AM
First of all: I STRONGLY ADVISE that you NOT do a "factory reset" to reset your codes. Resetting codes is a relatively easy procedure. Returning the Panel programming to factory default values means that ALL the settings in the ENTIRE programming will be reset, and you would have to reprogram your system from scratch.

Once you're in Panel Programming, hitting #20 gives you your Installer Code. You don't need to reset it. With the Installer Code, you can set your Master Code with a simple procedure. PLEASE FORGET about performing a factory reset and save us all a lot of grief.

Your 6270 is not your Control Panel, the Touchscreen (a.k.a. Touchpad) is an interface device between the User (you) and the Control Panel that usually lives in a steel cabinet somewhere out of the way, either a closet or a basement or utility area. If you open the door to that cabinet, the model name & number is usually on a wiring diagram on the inside of the door. The Control Panel (or simply, "Panel") is probably a Vista-15P or Vista-20P.

All the programming for your system resides in the Panel, not in the Touchscreen. When codes are lost, there is a "back door" into programming that entails power-cycling the Panel (power down, wait a few seconds, then power up), and then pressing * and # simultaneously within 50 seconds after power-up.

The problem with Touchpads is that they take more than 50 seconds to boot up, so you can't use that back door unless you have a keypad, which boots up immediately.

There's no magic trick that lets you use a Touchpad for this operation: You're going to have to buy a keypad to reset your codes. It doesn't have to be a showcase keypad. You can buy the cheapest Honeywell 6150 you can find online and just hook it up at the Panel to get into Panel Programming. A quick check on eBay shows you can buy a 6150
right now for about $16.50 including shipping.

Old 07-20-19, 12:38 PM
Thank you for the feedback!
So, just to make sure I perfectly understand you, I will need to take the TouchScreen off and hookup the 6150 keypad to the wall??

Does this look like a good one to buy?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-6...-/303116308382

Thank you again

Old 07-20-19, 02:59 PM
Yes, that looks like a good keypad. You do not need to disconnect any of your other devices to add it. If you can get a couple of feet of quad (4-conductor) cable/wire, you can just hook it up right at your Control Panel in its steel cabinet, to terminals 4, 5, 6, and 7. Quad wire is a lot like household telephone wire (landline) "22-4", and if you have any of that around the house, it will serve nicely. Otherwise, you can buy a few feet in a hardware store.

Since you're buying a new KP, it should come with instructions, but here's a quick rundown on addressing it.

Remove power from the Panel before hooking it up--otherwise, you can zap it. As soon as the KP is powered up, you will need to set the KP Address to 16. (It may come already set at 16.) Immediately (within 60 sec) after powering up, press 1 and 3 simultaneously on the keypad and hold until it beeps and displays a number between 16 and 31. That puts the KP in LOCAL Keypad Programming (Not to be confused with Panel Programming). The KP Address of that particular KP is the only setting that resides in the keypad itself. If 16 is not the number displayed, then enter 16* to set the KP address to 16, and you're done addressing the KP. Now it's integrated into your system. You're ready to use it to get into Panel Programming.

If you took more than a few seconds to address the KP, then I'd power-cycle the Panel again to restart the timer. Within 50 seconds of power-up, press and hold * and # simultaneously until you see "20" displayed on the KP. You are in Panel Programming. Press #20, and the keypad will display your Installer Code, one digit at a time. Ignore leading zeros.
For instance, if your Installer Code were 6321, it would display 06 (beep)-
03 (beep)-02 (beep)-01 (beep-beep-beep). That gives you your Installer Code, which you can use in Normal Mode to set the Master Code. Now get the heck out of programming by entering *99.

BEFORE doing anything else, After you are out of Programming Mode and back in Normal Operation Mode: Enter your selected Master Code by entering [4-digit Installer Code] + 02 + [4-digit Master Code]. You need to enter all ten key-presses in a steady sequence. You don't need to machine-gun it, but if you hesitate more than a second between entries, the new code might not take.

After you think you've entered the new Master Code, test it by entering CODE + 6 (Chime) to see if it toggles the Chime function as it should. Do NOT test it by Arming the system. It's a good rule NEVER to Arm a system unless you know for certain that you have a working code to Disarm it. People have gotten locked out of their Control Panels by doing that, and an Armed Panel won't let you into Programming.

If the new Master Code toggles the Chime on and off, then it's a working code and you can use it safely to Arm and Disarm.

I also strongly recommend that you set a second User Code by entering [4-digit Master Code] + 03 + [4-digit code]. If you have a 2nd User Code, then when you want to change your Master Code, there is never a time when you don't have a working User Code code if you glitch the code change.

After you're done with the code setting, you can either remove the keypad or leave it in place. Disconnecting doesn't delete anything and it's ready to plug'n'play if you need to use it again. Remember to power down any time you disconnect or connect a KP/TP.

Last edited by ChosunOne; 07-20-19 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-20-19, 03:16 PM
Thank you very much for taking the time to type all this. I am indeed sincerely grateful. Iím off to purchase and PRINT out your instructions( not even gonna look st the manual, LOL!!)

There is however one gray area you mentioned that got me in this mess to begin with:

It's a good rule NEVER to Arm a system unless you know for certain that you have a working code to Disarm it. People have gotten locked out of their Control Panels by doing that, and an Armed Panel won't let you into Programming.

I accidentally armed the TouchCenter when trying to figure out why it was beeping (low battery)...so will this keypad work with the control panel given the armed state? Pls say yes, Pls say yes, Pls say yes...

Old 07-20-19, 05:26 PM
Quick answer is that I"ve gotten mixed results on that. Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't.

Modified instructions: Power the system down by disconnecting one battery wire and unplugging the transformer. Ignore the battery until after you're finished in programming (if you can get in).

When you power up by plugging in the transformer, either have a partner or give yourself enough wire on the keypad so that you can plug the transformer in while you're holding down * and #. That will sometimes get you into programming, if you're lucky.

if you get into programming, after reading the Installer Code, press *39 0*, then *99 to exit programming. Field *39 sets the panel to either power up in previous state (1), or always power up Disarmed (0). When the system looses power for long enough while you're not home, to run the battery down, the (1) setting ensures it will power back up in the Armed state. It also ensures that if the panel died while it was Armed, and power returns in the middle of the day when everyone is home and doors/windows are open or people are walking around in front of motion sensors, that the system will immediately go into alarm.

Different techs disagree on whether to set (1) or (0), but while you're doing this, leave it at zero. Later on, when you have your codes set, you can set it back to one if you want. But the (0) setting in field *39 will let you disarm the panel by powering it down. Obviously, there's some risk in leaving it set to disarm that easily.

That reminds me: If you haven't changed the Panel battery in over 3 years, this might be a good time to do that. 3 to 5 years is about the maximum safe lifetime of a Panel battery. You'll need a 12V, 7 Ah SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) battery from your local battery store. It's a widely used battery and any battery store should have them.

Old 07-21-19, 11:13 AM
Ok thanks again. Iíll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed