Vista 20P: cannot find transformer & panel busy issue

Old 07-20-19, 08:01 AM
Vista 20P: cannot find transformer & panel busy issue

I just read an old thread about a guy who could not find the transformer for his alarm system. I am having the same problem. I have the Vista 20p. I need to power it down, but I can't find the transformer. Oddly, enough it has two batteries. If I cannot find the transformer, can I disconnect the power by disconnecting a wire in the panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-19, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 214
Welcome to the forums.

There will be a plug in transformer somewhere. It could be in the basement, a closet, the attic. There is no end to the wrong places it could be in. Alarm installers are not electricians so they will use the closest available receptacle.

Two batteries are used to extend the alarm standby time during a power failure.

Screw terminal 1 and 2 are the 16.5v AC connections.
Remove the wire from terminal one. Don't let it touch terminal two or anything else.

Name:  120p.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  48.0 KB

Old 07-20-19, 10:33 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
The transformer for my alarm system was the garage, plugged into the receptacle for the door opener.

Old 07-20-19, 10:35 AM
Upvotes Received: 11
What PJMax said, plus:

Sometimes when you have two batteries in the Panel cabinet, it's because there's an independent power supply in there too. Make sure whether both batteries are connected to the Control Panel, or if one battery is connected to a smaller circuit board.

Independent power supplies are becoming more commonplace as AUI/ Touchpads replace keypads: Touchpads are power hogs and the Panel's aux power (T4 & T5) really can't reliably supply enough power for more than one.

If you do have an independent power supply, it may or may not share the same transformer as the Panel. Don't be surprised if you find two power transformers.

Just something to watch out for.

Old 07-20-19, 05:34 PM
Thank you all. Pj, I disconnected the wire from T1. Nothing happened. However, there was a smaller set of terminals right below it. It's labeled power/supply/charger. I disconnected the wires at T1 and T2. Voila, power to two of my 3 touchpads was cut. I reconnected those wires and the two batteries, but the words "panel busy programming " still is displayed. Those 3 words have been displayed for the last 4 days. I took pictures, but I don't know how to attach them.

Old 07-20-19, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
Follow this................... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 07-21-19, 05:47 AM
Attached are photos I hope.

Name:  a1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  a2.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  72.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-21-19 at 08:56 AM. Reason: restored/resized pics
Old 07-21-19, 08:27 AM
Btw, "panel busy programming" is what I am trying to get rid of.

Old 07-21-19, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Your pictures were gigantic. The board is temporarily having a conversion issue. I was able to save one and then make an enlarged from it. The pics should be around 600x600 with file size 50k.

I see four devices connected to the data bus.... terminals 6 and 7.
I only see two power connections to terminals 4 and 5. That means two of the data bus devices are getting power from that second supply. So the two keypads on the second supply is correct.

By removing power from both supplies and disconnecting the batteries..... it would appear that you are correctly resetting the panel. I'm not sure what else can cause your problem. The other guys will probably know. Make sure there is a black wire that connects terminal 4 on the alarm to the - terminal on the aux supply.

Old 07-21-19, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 21
Probably, what you are going to need to do, is to temporarily remove the touchscreen devices from the mix. They have their own internal programming configuration, and is adding confusion to what you are looking at.

For the purpose of trying to bootstrap into _system_ programming, you are only concerned with the conventional keypad(s).

Since you can't locate your power transformer(s) (which may behind a piece of furniture, or just inside an attic access), you will take one wire off of the AC power terminals on both the panel, and the add-on power supply board. Unplug one terminal off of each battery.

Reconnect the AC power connection on the main board (if my guess is correct, the touchscreens are on the Aux power supply). Don't worry about the batteries, for now.

Withi 50 seconds, press * + # on one of the conventional keypads. It _should_ jump you into programming.

If you press # 20 it will read back the current installer code, one digit at a time (ignore leading zeros). Write that down. Press *99 to exit programming.

Enter [installer code] + 8 + 02 +[new master code] - Do this is a smooth continuous entry, because if you hesitate more than a couple of seconds between key presses, the new code won't take. Test the new code by turning the chime feature on and off.

Once you get this far, _then_ it's time to address what's going on with the touchscreen panels.

Old 07-21-19, 01:02 PM
Thanks, MrRon. However, I don't have a conventional keypad. All three of them are touchscreens.

Old 07-21-19, 03:59 PM
HELP! I had disconnected the alarm and was reconnected it and it started sounding off. I removed the wire connections. Now I have received and still am receiving emails from the security company that the panel is reporting a low battery and Device 0 is reporting a pending alarm.

Old 07-22-19, 02:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, I think this "20 questions" approach isn't helping you. If you are going to get useful information out of this; you will need to give us a clear description of your system; whether or not you have a current working user code; and what you are trying to do to/with the system.

ChosunOne voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-23-19, 11:37 AM
MrRonFL, let me give you and the ChosunOne an idea of what has happened. The explanation is long. My computer is down and I came to the library to post this reply. Here goes: Two Sundays ago I opened two windows in my kitchen to let some smoke out. My wife had left something on the stove too long. Of course, the 2 windows were wired. Before I went to bed that Sunday night I forgot to close those two windows. The system was not armed, thus no indication that two windows were open. When I woke up Monday morning and opened the front door, the panels began to indicate that one zone(the two windows were open and there was a fault on Zone 3, the motion sensor. I closed the two windows, which took care of that problem, but the touchpads continued to indicate a fault at the motion sensor. I could not find the fault and so I did what I though was the next best thing, I tried to bypass zone 3. Each time I did that the touchpads displayed "ready bypass". However, each time I opened a door the system sounded off. It was getting unbearable for my wife so I disconnected the motion sensor in the panel. However, the touchpads continued to show a fault at Zone 3, the motion sensor and an ECP error. So then, I disconnected the red wires on the back of each of the touchpads. After about 3-4 days I disconnected the batteries, but could not find the transformer(and still have not). I then reconnected the batteries, reconnected the touchpads and the touchpads displayed "panel busy programming". This display continued to show for 4 days. Everybody kept telling me to power down the system. I disconnected the batteries, disconnected the wire at T1 on the larger terminal strip and also disconnected the first two wires on a smaller terminal strip labeled "power/supply/charger". By the way, I have two batteries in the panel. After I did all of that the AC light and the DC light on the smaller terminal strip went off. Two of the three touchpads went blank. I reconnected every thing, but still, the touchpads displayed "panel busy programming". This past Saturday, I remembered that I had disconnected the alarm sounding device months ago and decided to reconnect it.(By the way, at that point the third touchpad did go off) Boy, that thing was going off, so I disconnected it. Of course, the touchpads displayed "open ckt" an open circuit, as you two know. After that, I received some 200 emails indicating that the panel was reporting a "low battery" and "Device 0 reported an impending alarm". I then shut the system down to stop the emails and I got about three more emails indicating a possible "smash and crash". I have not reconnected anything yet. I know it' s long. Thanks, for your help.

Old 07-23-19, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Somewhere in your poking around you have probably disconnected one of the data bus wires to one or more of the keypads, and the system is probably configured to report a tamper if this happens. The fact that the system is going into alarm, means that it may have been set to trigger the sounders if this happens.
You have two batteries because one if the backup for the system, and the other is the backup for the accessory power supply board.

The trouble with the motion is either that the motion has failed, or has lost power.

As moderately complex as your system is, and based on you lack of information details on your hardware and configuration; I would highly recommend you have your service company untangle this.

Old 07-24-19, 04:52 PM
Thanks, MrRon. I reconnected everything just before I read your reply. The only problems I am having now is a fault indication at the motion sensor and a "low battery" message on the touchpad .

Old 07-24-19, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The battery is simple. Especially if the battery is more than 3-5 years old, it's probably due for replacement.

Motion detector troubleshooting 101:
Does it have power (does the led turn on on detecting motion?)
If yes, the next thing to check is whether the relay inside the unit is still good. If you jumper between the alarm connections inside (_not_ the power wires), and the zone closes, then your motion has likely failed open, and you need to replace the motion detector with a new one.
If that doesn't close the zone, then you need to carefully check the wiring between the device and the zone input at the alarm control. Double check the connections at the alarm control, in case one of the wires has been broken, or dislodged.