mounting security camera on exterior brick veneer

Old 08-05-19, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mounting security camera on exterior brick veneer

Hi,

I want to mount my security camera on the outside of my house (brick veneer). The camera mount has three 1/8" holes. The smallest Tapcon screw is 3/16", so I would have to drill the camera mount holes slightly larger to accommodate the larger screw. I also plan to drill into the mortar, not the brick. Below is a picture of the camera mount and where I plan to drill the holes into the mortar. Is this the best way to go about this or does anyone have an alternative or better idea than using Tapcon screws? Thanks

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-19, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 158 Posts
Yes... I would suggest you make a mounting block out of wood or PVC... slightly larger than your camera mount. Cut it out with a jigsaw if you want it to be round. Then mount it to the mortar with one tapcon in the center.

Once its up you can use regular short wood screws to mount your camera to the mounting block.

Shepweiler voted this post useful.
Old 08-05-19, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 248 Posts
That would be one method.
You could also use three small plastic mollys and screws instead of any Tapcons.

Old 08-06-19, 10:35 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
I found that mounting into the mortar isn't always the best depending on the quality they used, etc.
In cases like yours, I've had good luck using the standard plastic anchors with say a #8 screw.
If the texture of the brick isn't too extreme, drill into the brick will offer a stronger hold.
As for cabling, are you coming straight through the wall into the back of the mount or are you coming along the exterior of the wall into the mount?

Old 08-22-19, 10:23 AM
Ring cam installed

I cut a piece of wood and painted it black to mount the camera to. Drilled 5/32" hole into brick then mounted wooden base with 1 1/4" Tapcon and screwed camera to the base. Drilled 1/4" hole through brick mortar to pass the CAT5e wire through. Camera is working awesome.

When I was drilling the 5/32" hole for the camera base I went all the way through the brick (the brick veneer is only 3/4"). I read a lot online about brick fracturing when drilled. By drilling through the brick veneer did I affect the integrity of the brick? I don't see any cracks or anything, just curious.

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-19, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 158 Posts
Doubtful... such a tiny round hole won't usually create a split or crack. If it was going to crack it would have done it when you were hammer drilling on it, or if you were real close to an edge. Looks really good.

Old 08-22-19, 10:35 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
As long as you are using a hammer drill and not and SDS drill, you should be fine. I've had very little issue drilling into concrete or brick with my brushless hammer drill.

On question, is that camera outdoor rated? Looks like it's an indoor camera.

Old 08-22-19, 10:46 AM
Yep, it's indoor/outdoor. The camera is covered by the main entrance roof anyways, but it has an IP rating of IPX5 and operating temperature of -5 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://shop.ring.com/products/stick...14141445079129