Smoke detector incapability question

Old 08-07-19, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smoke detector incapability question

Hi,

I have 3 smoke detectors in my townhome.~2004. The detectors are hardwired and are connected.

I am trying to add additional detectors. Connecting to that wire is nearly impossible. Therefore, I need to look at wireless extension.

My questions:
1.) Can i replace any of my current detectors with any brand new? While new ones/any brand be compatible?
2.) I like to add detectors n the garage , utility room, possibly in enclosed porch. Common advice is not to use smoke detectors in utility room and garage. Is this still true given todays cars and furnaces? Would a heat detector be the right choice?
3.) What is a good brand that has a good wireless/combo portfolio?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-19, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
Are the current units electric with battery backup ?

2004 equates to almost 15 years so it would be time to change them. Replace them all with a similar brand. Don't intermix brands. I don't know of any hardwired AC type with remote/wireless capability.

Smoke detectors are fine in a utility room. If it's very small..... might not be the best idea. Keep as far away from furnace as you can in the room. Don't mount a smoke detector in garage. A heat detector would be ok but now you are getting involved with different manufacturers parts as many don't have a wired heat detector.

Old 08-08-19, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Actually Kidde recently came out with a model that pulls off this wireless interconnect trick:
https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en...ms/rf-sm-acdc/

Old 08-08-19, 07:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 7 Posts
Times change & so do products & technology..... so just for clarity, I am speaking from my experience with smoke/fire detectors from back in the 80's. Yeah, yeah, I know.

Fire or heat detectors take longer to alarm than smoke detectors.
I am not even sure that heat detectors are even a thing anymore.

Smoke rises & is detected from a smolder much sooner than heat from the fire can be detected. By the time the fire gets big enough to generate a flame &/or heat to that degree (to be detected on the ceiling) smoke will be detected much faster.
If I remember right (again, may have changed since the 80's) smoke detectors detect the Ion's in the smoke & alarm.

Based on my past experience, I'd recommend smoke detectors long before fire or heat related detectors.
I also agree that at 15 years old, they need to be replaced & that whatever brand & style you choose, get then all alike.
Tip: I'd recommend not placing your detectors closer than 8 - 12" from where the wall & ceiling meet.

Old 08-08-19, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Heat detectors do have a purpose and function. They are for locations where the ambient conditions would result in excessive false trips; or for locations where life safety is the lesser consideration.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 08-10-19, 02:31 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
My kitchen is equip with a honeywell heat detector 5800 series to reduce the false alarms caused by our toaster

Old 08-10-19, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, kitchens, adjacent to bathrooms (steam), and garages, are all locations where placement of smoke detectors/alarms is not recommended.

Old 08-10-19, 11:02 AM
Ok. I will plan on replacing all my detectors.

Sounds like putting a heat detector in garage is recommend. I sleep on top....
How about utility room?

Are there any wireless heat detectors?

Old 08-11-19, 11:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know, there are no wireless consumer grade heat detectors. There are models that connect to wireless security systems, and to certain fire alarm systems, but that's different from what we are discussing.

Old 09-21-19, 03:44 AM
Do heat detectors age out?

My security system has a 15 year old heat detector. I replaced all the smoke detectors 5 years ago. not connected to the security system.. Does the heat detector ever have to be replaced? I suppose it's purpose is to call the fire department if no one is home.

Old 09-21-19, 06:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Heats don't normally go bad with age. If you have one in a dampish environment, you could get a corrosion problem, but, other than that, they don't generally degenerate with age, very much.

PJmax voted this post useful.