uninterupted power supply

Old 08-10-19, 12:06 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
uninterupted power supply

I'm purchasing home security equipment wired with DVR, wifi and motion detection optional. I want to get an uninterrupted power supply box and/or battery generator in case the power goes out, and so the unit continues to record when power is restored. Which is more practical, the UPS or generator?

Also any recommendations on security equipment to buy that has the features I'm looking for?

Old 08-10-19, 01:07 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
You have to decide the importance of availability of your security equipment. From a standpoint of cost (equipment, installation, maintenance, etc.) the UPS is my choice. Unless the generator has automatic starting, transfer and stopping (usually called standby generator), you have to be home to start and connect the portable generator to the security equipment when power fails.

Old 08-10-19, 03:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
UPS or generator which is most practical? They are two totally different things and which you choose will largely depend on your budget. A UPS can be purchased for $100 while a standby generator installation will be $3'000+. The UPS can power your security system only while the standby generator can power the security system and other things in the home like the refrigerator, lights...

Old 08-12-19, 07:11 AM
K
Can you shed light on how a UPS would function with home security equipment? How easy is it to set up and how glitch-proof it is in the event of a power outage? Are there any you recommend? Same with the security equipment. I need one that is reliable, with a DVR, that retains recorded footage no matter how it may be shut off, with a playback feature that can be real time and up to about 60x as fast if possible.

Old 08-12-19, 10:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Most alarm systems have provision for battery backup. Everything is done automatically and all you have to do is replace the battery every 5 - 8 years or whenever the battery no longer holds a charge. You will have to periodically remove and test the battery as most systems don't monitor battery health.

For a video system easiest is to simply get a computer UPS and plug your DVR into it. Then the trick is how to power your cameras. Some can be powered via the cables so it's easy to also plug their power supplies into the UPS.

With both types your electronics will be powered off the backup batteries. How long they stay powered depends on your system, how big a battery and how old the battery is. Bigger backup power systems can power your devices longer during an outage but are bigger physically and cost more.

Old 08-19-19, 09:24 AM
K
1. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "most alarm systems have provision for battery backup." Do they have battery backup within them? Does this mean there has to be a particular part to the system that attaches to an UPS? I have looked at a few security systems and haven't seen any with the former.
2. If a UPS has a max capacity of 900 W, for how long approximately would a typical continuous record DVR/1 camera keep going if there were a power outage?
3. Do you know of an app for a laptop that would capture a recording no matter how it gets shut off? A laptop would work perfectly except you have to stop the recording for it to be captured. If it just x's out of Quick Time player or computer shuts off the recording is not captured.

Old 08-19-19, 03:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
All intrusion alarm systems have a battery backup, built in.

Typically, depending on size and complexity of the system, anywhere from 2-6 hours will be the run-time, depending on the battery installed. There is a battery size calculation in the instructions for each system based on the installed hardware choices.

Ultimately, for the DVR, you size it like a similarly sized computer (which is what it is). For most people, a 500-700VA model will be plenty.

Most of the IP cameras have the kind of frame grab feature you are talking about in the software you would use to view the stream.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: