Replacement options/issues on an ADT monitored panel?

Old 08-10-19, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement options/issues on an ADT monitored panel?

Hi all,

I've been looking into an Envisalink to tie my ADT monitored system in to my home automation system.
Unfortunately, I have a SecurityLink SL-150, which I understand to be a modified Ademco Vista 20SE, which is incompatible with the Envisalink.

I am willing to buy a 6150 and a Vista20P to replace/upgrade my panel and keypad, but I'm not sure how/if I can go ahead with this, with a system that's already monitored by ADT.

Am I going to need to call them to get the new system online with them? Will they work with a homeowner doing this himself? Are there numbers or codes in my system to access ADT that I will need to get/transfer? How do I find these?

I know my programming code is 6321, and I have the cellular connection for monitoring...
I'm pretty unfazed by what I've seen of programming a system, and this isn't a question about wiring up, etc....just not sure if it's a dead-end that they're going to require me to get a pro/re-up a contract (we've had monitoring for 13 years as it is)

Thanks for your help,

Ricky

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-19, 01:22 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If your up to the dly stuff and upgrading the vista 20p yourself i would first cancel adt if you dont have a contract with them anymore. then remove the vista 20se and install a vista 20p. the wire transferring shouldn't be hard if you jot it down. the hard part would be programming it which requires a 6160 alpha keypad and not the 6150 fixed word keypad. then you can add the ev4 module. if you want cheaper monitoring i would go with geoarm or alarmgrid. they are much cheaper than adt and offers zwave animation packages with honeywell total connect.

Old 08-10-19, 09:01 AM
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I'll look into the recommendations for other monitoring services, but I know that we have ADT through our USAA homeowners policy, which is discounted and in turn triggers a discount on our policy that makes the monitoring very competitive (if not free--it's been a while since I looked). Not positive the discount applies with other providers, but it's worth a look!
At any rate, I know I'll need to get a 6160 (kinda want one anyway), and I'm not scared of the programming side of it--just don't know the ins and outs of getting it online with ADT.

--Or is it the case that the communication is all programmed into the cell unit, which is unintelligently wired into my panel, and basically ADT doesn't ever know what's hooked up on this side? I just want to make sure, should we choose to keep ADT monitoring, a panel swap is something that can even be done without involving ADT.

As for the home automation/Honeywell Total Connect stuff: I'm already pretty deeply set up on that front with Hubitat and Node Red, etc. I just want to get my monitored system wired into my existing HA system with Envisalink.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 08-10-19, 07:35 PM
Question

Alright, update:

I've ordered the following:
  • Vista 20P
  • Honeywell 6160
  • Envisalink 4
I currently have:
  • Vista 20SE (Securitylink SL-150) --will replace
  • Fixed word keypad --will replace
  • 5881EN(H? see picture) --will reuse
    EDIT: I NOW SEE that I have an SA-5882-3ENH. Labeled differently somewhere else. This shouldn't matter, right? It's currently working with my system and sensors. (No, I am not in Canada).
  • Several 5800 wireless sensors --reuse
  • Wired smoke detector --reuse
  • ADT 4G communicator --property of ADT, correct?...I assume they will want that back?
Also, I've talked to my wife about our monitoring, and it's not exactly as I remembered...it's more expensive than I thought, and it doesn't seem like it's any longer as tied into our insurance as it once was.

SO, THE PLAN:
  1. Cancel ADT, schedule for them to pick up their communicator (please tell me if there's any chance I can continue to use this without ADT?)
  2. Swap the 6160 in place with current wiring
  3. Swap the Vista 20P in place with current wiring and current 5881 (5883, actually)
  4. Install EVL4 and program new system to use all my current sensors, etc.
  5. ...decide on monitoring options after that point. Geoarm is looking good at around $15 for professional monitoring via cellular. But I will have to purchase an expensive cellular radio for that, yes?
If any of you super helpful folks see any problems with my plan (the equipment has already shipped), please let me know. And I'm hoping it's not an issue for me to just set it up as a self-monitored system at first and take my time deciding the monitoring options after the fact. GREATLY APPRECIATED, everybody! Pictures of my current components below for your reference.

Attached Images     

Last edited by DesignDawg; 08-10-19 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Correction on my gear
Old 08-11-19, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
The Vista 20p and the Vista 20se variant have different settings and configurations. While it won't be difficult to integrate the new panel to your field hardware, the differences in how the two models communicate will require the ADT franchise to work with you to update the monitoring account.

Old 08-11-19, 11:33 AM
Ah. Makes sense. Thanks, MrRonFL .
I'm almost certainly quitting ADT at this point, though, I've decided. So if I'm starting from scratch, I should be good to go to list start with self-IP monitoring via Envisalink while I shop prep monitoring options, right?

Old 08-11-19, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
A fair number of DIY people go this route.

DesignDawg voted this post useful.
Old 08-13-19, 10:27 AM
Yea the adt radio only works for adt. If your buying a cellular radio make sure itís a LTE model. 4g hspa and 3g are getting shut down by 2022 and those are not being activated anymore !

DesignDawg voted this post useful.
Old 08-13-19, 11:20 PM
As always, thanks for the advice. Got my 20P installed and programmed tonight, along with my EV4. Super easy! Should've done that years ago. Cancelled ADT, and over the next few days, I'm going to slowly get it all tied into my Hubitat setup and figure out exactly how I want to monitor it. This was a fun project, and I'm happy about the upgraded keypad. My last one was screechy high pitched beeps.

Thanks for all the guidance. The ADT communicator, as it turns out, is 3G. I'll unmount it probably this weekend when I go back and dress all my cabling, etc.

Old 08-14-19, 08:17 AM
Glad to hear everything went as planned ! And yes as keypad age the pizeo speaker starts to age and make screeching sounds. My 6148 keypad did that and I replaced it with a new 6148 and the beeps were much louder and didn’t have screeching sound effect. The 6160 keypad you have is a speaker and can make various sounds and different sounds unlike the fixed English keypads that has a pizeo beep speaker