Recommendations for alarm change over

Old 08-15-19, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for alarm change over

Just like to get some opinions here.

Current situation is I have a vista 20P with alarm monitoring via IP with cellular (GSM) backup. I do not have a landline phone, only VOIP (OOMA), thus the need for IP monitoring. The vista phone output connects to a little "ABN" box that in turn connects to the internet for central station monitoring.

For all of this, I pay $14 a month. However, I've grown unhappy with my monitoring service where I've had several alarms (false) in the middle of the night and despite the alarm sounding for quite sometime (minutes, till I figured out what was going on and entered my code); I never received a call from dispatch. One time was a fluke, a couple of times means it's time to move on. They've been going downhill for awhile now - and I believe their dispatch is no longer UL certified.

At any rate, ideally, I would like to have IP with cell backup. The biggest concern is to mitigate the loss of power/wire cut scenario. I can live without having remote arm/disarm but would like to maintain text message notification and ability to view the logs (alarm, arm/disarm) remotely on my phone.

I would like to keep monthly monitoring somewhat reasonable, knowing I'm not going to get that $14 rate for what I have now :-).

Right now thinking of getting a honeywell total connect LTE-XV module and find monitoring service somewhere.

Any recommendations on hardware and/or central monitoring services?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-19, 07:34 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Here in Ontario Canada, DSC was the more dominate product line. In cases like yours, I would have recommended using the Alarm.com service.
Never understood the IP first, Cell backup. Cellular response now can have a return signal from the monitoring station in under 2 seconds. Using IP means that you need to have a proper path out of your house and through your router.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with US monitoring stations to suggest a good carrier.

Old 08-15-19, 08:26 AM
Probably not true anymore but when I got the cell backup originally, it was a much cheaper "addon" option for monthly monitoring versus 100% cell monitoring.

My cell backup is triggered by the siren and is dumb. It only transmits if there is a "burglar" or "fire" alarm. No contact ID, no zones etc... just burglar and fire generic. Thus, I need the IP for contact id/ zone information to be transmitted to the station for the "most of the time" scenarios.

I guess if you think about it, the only reason for dual ip/cell is if you are worried the cellular network was to go down or is unreliable or someone would jam it - all extremely unlikely scenarios. I don't have much to steal so I'm not really worried about it that much :-) .... thus thinking I will just go 100% cellular.

Really debating on the hardware I should get and monitoring. The total connect monitoring seems relatively expensive.

Old 08-15-19, 08:57 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
I'll be honest, I've never worked on the Vista systems, but have swapped a couple for DSC units (as mentioned before, that was our preferred product).
Contact ID was a blessing when compared to the old 4-2 format we use to use. No having zones for AC power loss, or other monitoring, all identifiable signals.

Old 08-15-19, 12:43 PM
I think I am going to go with the Alarm.com and their SEM210 module unless someone can talk me out of it :-).