Is my Vista 20P dead?

Old 08-25-19, 09:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is my Vista 20P dead?

I am working with Alarm .com support on this but wondering you guys have any insight.

Basically I got a SEM2 communicator module that wires in like a keypad. I followed the instructions, wired it in... it was uneventful.

Activated service, the SEM module did it's thing where it goes thru read the zones, programs etc... I watched it work from my 6160 panel and everything was fine.

Repowered the panel (per direction from my provider tech) now all of my keypads do not function.. I cannot arm the system. I just get a blank screen on my 6160 from the moment I power on -no boot up message - nothing.

Here's what I've tried to get it to merely come back to life again... with no success:

Completely disconnected the SEM (power & communication).
Completely disconnected all other keypads except my 6160 (power & communication).
Tried holding * and # down during system power up....
Tried changing the address of my 6160. Tried multiple including #23 (the SEM address).

System is un/repowered by unplugging and plugging in the transformer(with battery disconnected of course).... not just pulling the power wire out/in on terminal 1.

Verified with a bright flashlight there is absolutely no shorts between terminals 6&7 (communication). I only have one wire screwed down to each terminal for my one keypad, certain wire is contacting. Green wire is screwed to 6 and yellow is screwed to 7.

Same thing happens.... power up... 6160 keypad lights up, screen is blank the entire time. Same is true of my other keypad (RF one).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by PJmax; 08-26-19 at 09:28 PM. Reason: removed link
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-19, 10:22 AM
Just an update... Set the keypad to address 16 (undisabl-ible) and it's talking to the panel now.

Guessing all the keypads got disabled - somehow.

I keep trucking and update - in case it helps someone else in the future.

Old 08-25-19, 06:15 PM
Just an update... I got everything backup. The SEM programming from alarm. com wiped out all my zones and disabled all my keypads. It's *almost* like a *97 was done... I am 100% certain I didn't do it.

Odd thing is alot of stuff was set to defaults but some stuff wasn't. Had to painstakingly go thru and reenable stuff.

Before you install one of these SEM device on your vista, make sure you have all your zone written down somewhere (and their config).... if all your zones get nuked, it would be best to just *97 the system to reset everything. I wish I thought of that, it would of saved me time.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-26-19 at 09:29 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 08-26-19, 02:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
If I were to guess, it's likely your add on device was trying to use the same address that your keypad was set to, and the system choked on it.

Old 08-26-19, 12:44 PM
I checked that... I had to enable address 23 (thus no other keypads were using it) which is what the communicator device was set to.

Old 08-26-19, 05:43 PM
Got another odd problem... I am unable to add users to the system from the keypad(s) (tried several). I do master code (not installer) + 8 + userno like 10 + 4 digit code like 1234... and nothing happens (no beep).... all pretty quick.. no pauses.

Tried it for several different user numbers and tried the installer code out of desperation.

I can change master code (02) no problem. Everything else is ignored.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-26-19, 06:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm thinking your SEM device is glitching you. If the master code you program with the installer code works, otherwise, then it _should_ be able to program secondary codes. There's no "secret handshake" for this. It's a fundamental firmware function.

Old 08-26-19, 06:45 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Ron is probably right, but I'm just going to check this because I've seen users try to be cute with their codes before:

You aren't trying to make the Installer Code and Master Code be the same code, are you? Because the Panel won't allow it. They have to be different codes. No two users can have the same code.

Old 08-27-19, 11:43 AM
Nope, totally different.

Oddly, after pounding in the codes a dozen times, it seems to have taken one.... never ever got a confirm beep.

Question I have is, the SEM is acting like a keypad.... how is it able to read the user codes in the panel? Is there a way to query that via the keypad? It pulled the user I added AND the code I entered on the panel... I know cause I see it on the website.

Old 08-27-19, 12:57 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
This goes back quite a while, but I did not have good luck putting anything other than keypads on a Honeywell keypad buss. Maybe they've improved it since then.

Old 08-27-19, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect that it's borrowing some code from the software used to do uploads/downloads of the panel software, which is normally the only way to view programmed user codes. I _think_ the touchscreen keypads can view them, as well.

Old 08-30-19, 09:37 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
could also be incompatibility due to the vista panel prom chip number. i remember adding a total connect 2.0 communicator to a older vista panel and it freaked out. upgrading the prom chip to 10.23 corrected the issue and i was able to add the total connect 2.0 communicator