Paradox Spectra 1686H TBL 7

Old 08-25-19, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paradox Spectra 1686H TBL 7

I have Paradox Spectra 1686H with no outside contract. I am getting an alarm TBL 7 (Communication Failure) but I donít have anybody to communicate with. I tried the Cancel Communications command to no effect. How do I cancel the TBL 7?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-19, 04:13 AM
The frustration is growing with this system, Paradox mod 1758 EX and Spectra mod 1686H. We had a hurricane a while back and lost the power to the house which triggered a power failure alarm (TBL 3). We tried to cancel the every 5 second beep to no avail. So in desperation I unhooked the battery that got rid of the beep. Than some time later the fire alarms start squealing without power to the house or battery hooked up. I found that there was 3 volts AC coming into the house and it was enough to trigger a squeal from all the smoke detectors. So I turned off the circuit breakers to the fire alarms and the Paradox box, problem solved. Until however the power came back on for a few minutes, in the middle of a category 1 hurricane, and the garage door opened up, as I now know was because the Paradox was turned off. Not a great option!!!!!! I will not be using this security system ever again. I can use the fire detectors separately and will run with them on only.Goodbye Spectra/ Paradox.

Old 09-17-19, 05:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
In order to correct the issues you are describing, you have to be able to get into system programming to disable the communicator function.

Your smoke alarms are probably not connected to the intrusion alarm system. In most cases, they are 120v devices with a 9v battery backup.

I also doubt that your garage opener is connected to the alarm system, unless you previously used a security system remote to open/close the door (it _can_ be done, it's just really uncommon).

Old 09-18-19, 03:49 AM
Re garage door: I am the second owner of the system and never heard of a remote for the security system. When I bought the house I wanted to map the circuit breaker box so I turned off each breaker one at a time to see what circuit was off and when I turned off the security alarm the garage door opened. That was eleven years ago and I never turned it off again until the storm this fall, and I forgot about the garage door. At the time I thought it was a strange thing and assumed it was some kind of safety function to open the door if there was a failure and you had a carbon monoxide in the house. Who knows why?

Old 09-18-19, 05:20 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Try this simple test:
(1) See that the security system Control Panel is powered down by battery being disconnected and _ transformer unplugged_ (but circuit breaker left ON).

(2) Turn off the circuit breaker that feeds the Control Panel while the system is already powered down.

If that causes the garage door to open, then the door opening is caused by something else, not the security system. If you've mapped out your circuit breakers, then you know that other outlets are on the same electrical outlet circuit as the Control Panel. What else is plugged into that set of outlets? Is the garage door on that same circuit? Is there an independent RF Receiver for the wireless garage remote controls (as opposed to a built-in RF Receiver in the door opener housing)? If so, is that RF Receiver powered by a small wall wart plugged into an outlet on that electrical circuit? If such an RF Receiver wall wall wart (transfirmer) exists, does unplugging it cause the garage door to open?

I can't tell you all the steps to find the source of your garage door opening, because I don't know what devices you have in your security and garage door opener systems, or how they're configured; and whether they're interlocked somehow. There are many ways that _can_ be done, but like MrRonFL, I seriously doubt the security system is programmed to open the garage door
when it senses a power failure. I've personally never come across a protocol vaguely like that.

Old 09-18-19, 08:07 AM
The hookup is like this:
Smoke detectors are on one stand alone circuit breaker.
Security alarm box 1758EX is on a breaker with some lights.
Garage door is on a different breaker with some lights. The garage door opener is hooked to the security box through a normally closed relay, in the box, and then onto the security box circuit board pins labeled PG1 and AUX +.
When I say normally closed relay I mean the contacts are shorted and require power to hold them open. When the contacts closed, i.e. no power, the garage door opens.

Old 09-18-19, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Once upon a time, they either had a remote with an auxiliary function used to trigger the garage door; or they were using a keypad command to open/close the door (most use a momentary contact closure as a toggle; like a more complicated version of the simple push button on the wall).

They did (by my standards) do it a little strangely. Normally, best practice is to require a change of state on that programmable output to energize the relay, rather than constant power that drops to activate the function.

As mentioned before, a connection like this is uncommon, but not unheard of.