Napco ma1000e

Old 09-05-19, 04:06 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Napco ma1000e

How to program to serve as a local system to call my cellphone ONLY on alarm zone violations (no system report calls).

Old 09-05-19, 05:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
Not with that system. It was never designed to call anything other than central station receivers. Basically it's too primitive to do what you want.

Old 09-06-19, 05:39 PM
J
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
You can program it to call your cell phone but you will only get a call with no other information other than seeing that the caller ID shows that the call is coming from your premises. The control panel will go into trouble condition when it cannot communicate with a central station receiver.

Old 09-07-19, 12:23 AM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
What Jimmiee says is true, but I'm going to add a few caveats to the limitations he already mentioned:

(1) You need to have your MA1000e hooked to a landline phone for this to work.

(2) The Trouble Condition each call will generate isn't like other trouble conditions, e.g., AC Power Fail or Low Battery. With most other Troubles, the panel resets when the condition clears (i.e., AC power is restored or battery is replaced and tested); or you can reset it from your keypad.
If the panel tries to call out and doesn't get acknowledged by a CS (Central Station) Receiver, it causes a Fail-to-Communicate (FC) Trouble that can only be reset by (a) actually reaching a CS Receiver, or (b) powering the MA1000e panel down (remove AC power and disconnect batter; and then re-connect), to erase memory of trying to call out.
In other words, you can't reset it from the keypad. You have to fiddle with the Control Panel every time it tries to call out and doesn't reach a CS Receiver.

(3) If you want only alarm signals to be communicated, you will have to program your MA1000e panel to send only alarm signals, and you'll have to do it item-by-item: There isn't one single setting to send only alarm signals. Each zone and each "system report" condition of your panel can be programmed to send or not send a signal. Chances are that your system was originally programmed with what to send and what not to send; you would have to go into programming and change what you don't want to send, item by item (no Low Battery Report, no AC Fail, etc)
(3a) Be advised that Napco isn't the best panel for a DIY novice to take up learning to program an alarm panel. I used to work with Napco extensively and they're solid and reliable, but the programming format is not the easiest to work with---in my not-so-humble opinion. You'd have a steep learning curve.

Now the final caveat:
(4) If you decide to go this route, every time you have an alarm, it's going to call you 8 times in succession. Again, there's no setting in panel programming to change this. Panels of this era were designed to keep trying if they didn't reach a CS on the first attempt. That's in the firmware and can't be changed: There's no way to re-program it to make only one attempt.
Not really sure off the top of my head, but I think this generation panel could be set to keep calling indefinitely, especially for a fire alarm. Most dealers didn't use that setting, but a few did.

Old 09-07-19, 06:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, all of those reasons are why I prefer to simply say not to try this route with this system. It _can_ do that dial out, but it probably won't do so in a way that you will find useful or acceptable.

If you like the existing intrusion alarm, your better bet is to get an add on voice dialer, and trip it with the bell/siren voltage.

Old 09-09-19, 08:08 AM
R
Thanks 4 reply,
I gave the old system for my single-parent sister who lives near me and has an old land line phone. It is only intended for intrusion or possibly panic so I can be her security (she is on a very limited income).

Old 09-09-19, 08:57 AM
R
Thanks Jimmiee, MrRonFl and Chosunone,
Appreciate all of the info provided. I do have (3) of these very old systems that I purchased long ago at a "going out of business" sale. I have one on my home (monitored 20+years), this one for her and a spare. I can program them manually and have blanked or entered data codes to disable no ac, low batt.,fire, ambush, panic,etc.and entered my cell# for her landline# to call, but so far have not gotten it to call me. I will power it down,un-hook battery, wait and then power up and try again because I am getting a "failure to communicate warning" perhaps still in memory from earlier. Thank you again and I apologize for this delayed reply, but we are on the East coast and her water front home has many opportunities to keep my retirement busy.

Old 09-09-19, 03:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I would recommend something like the Visonic DL125C. They are easy to install, and you can get one for less than $100.

It will do what you want, without creating confusing error codes that you will have to spend your time clearing and/or explaining.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: