DSC- alarm go off right when front door opens

Old 09-05-19, 07:44 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DSC- alarm go off right when front door opens

DSC 1832, I've programmed the system myself 5years ago.
Recently I've noticed that
alarm armed, coming into home from front door, siren goes off right away.
I usually exit/enter from back door - no issues ever.
Sometimes I exit through back and enter through front - no issues, until now.
I have not made any adjustments so I'm baffled why this happens.
BTW front and back door are the same zones.

Can these alarms have glitches?

Old 09-05-19, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
If the front and back doors are on the same zone.... there is no glitch. Both doors would be on a delay so that you can enter either door and disarm the system.

Your problem sounds like the front door switch is not working and you are getting picked up by a motion sensor. Is there a motion sensor that looks at the front door ?

Old 09-05-19, 08:54 PM
B
When you mean front door switch- mean the sensor can be faulty intermittently?
It always beeps when the door is open or closed as far as I can remember.

Yes there is a motion at the front door but the alarm history doesn't show that the motion faulted, just the door.

I assume now I'll just have to replace the front door switch...

Old 09-06-19, 05:24 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I'm assuming with the doors on the same zone, that you are working with wired contacts.
As Pete mentioned, the door contact may be acting up or the motion sensor board has dropped a hair and is now covering the door too well.
Has the door contact taken any impacts (making physical contact with the door magnet or door)?
For your motion, I'm assuming it's set to Stay/Away (03 or 05, can't remember off the top)? What model is the motion?

Old 09-06-19, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
If both doors are on the same exact zone...... then what one does..... so must the other. One can't delay and the other one not.

When the door is opened..... it should immediately start the disarm countdown and shut off that motion detector. If the switch is not working properly..... the motion stays active and picks up you or the door opening.

I have a complex that I work at and all the doors used roller balls. As these switches get stuck or go intermittent I've been changing them with magnetic switches. Common complaint...... when I come in the front door..... the alarm goes right off. Typically since the motion detector is in the living room and looking towards the door while the rear door has no motion near by.

Old 06-18-20, 12:51 PM
A
I've recently discover a same or very similar problem. I have 4 doors on Zone 1, when I open each door and go to the control panel I see that the panel says "Open 1". At night I set the panel to "Stay" before going to bed. Last night I had some come to my door very late when I open the front door the alarm siren did not go off. So this morning I did some testing and found that while in "Stay" mode the siren goes off right away when 3 of the doors are opened but when the front door is opened the panel starts beeping and after a minute the siren goes off like it is in "Away" mode.

My only thought is that the front door is the only door covered by the motion detector; is the system smart enough to detect the inside motion at the door before the door is opened and give me time to get to the panel before the alarm goes off?

DSC PC1616 with RFK 5501 panel

Last edited by admiral6568; 06-18-20 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Typo and forgot to add system info
Old 06-18-20, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Are you sure all four doors are on the same exact zone ?
If they are..... they must all act the same way.
The doors would be wired in series and each door should follow the same exact operation.

There can be two ways to set the "stay" mode. The stay mode basically is to shut off any interior motion detectors. You can set the system for "stay" delayed which allows the doors to be opened and a countdown started to disarm the system or you can have "stay" instant when opening any door will trigger the alarm system.

Old 06-20-20, 01:18 PM
A
Pjmax,

I checked again and all four doors act the same with alarm not set, I open the door fo to the panel and it says open then I hit the scroll arrow button and it displays 1.

When I set it for "Stay" I get a green check mark and the red padlock lights on and then after 1 min the green check goes away.

When "Stay" mode is selected I do get a bypass msg in the top right corner. I thought that was because the interior motion sensor was being bypassed.

How do I set stay mode to be active right away without the 60 sec delay?

Old 06-25-20, 12:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
You don't. The exit delay operates in _all_ arming modes, including "instant".

The bypass is, indeed, any interior zone programmed as a "stay/away" zone type auto bypassing if the entry/exit zone isn't opened and closed, or your select stay arming.

Old 06-25-20, 05:10 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
If you are testing the system you need to wait about 15 to 30 seconds after the exit delay runs out before opening the door. If you are opening the entry door as soon as the exit runs out ( stops beeping ) the panel will sound immediately.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: