Replacing an ADT "6150ADT" Keypad

Old 09-19-19, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing an ADT "6150ADT" Keypad

Now that I have figured out my zone wiring issue, I am thinking of replacing my current keypad. From what I can tell, it's a 6150ADT. (See photo)

If I find one I like online, is it a simple "plug & play" procedure? I guess I'm asking if the all the settings are stored in the actual panel as opposed to the keypad itself.

Also, can you please suggest a step up from my current pad? I'd like one that shows a little more information and may make it easier to program in the future. Your help is very much appreciated.

Current keypad:

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-19, 01:44 PM
A 6160 is what you want, and yes, it's plug and play. Just be careful not to let the open wires touch after you take the old keypad off.

Old 09-19-19, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
It's better, and safer, to power the system down before swapping keypads.

If your system is a Safewatch 3000 (same as a Vista 20p) you will need to match the keypad address from the old keypad to the new one.

Old 09-20-19, 06:30 AM
Thanks, pearljammer & Mr Ron. I ordered a 6160 from Amazon and have been watching a few videos on addressing it once powered on. It seems that you hold down the 1 & 3 buttons within about 50 seconds of powering on then change the address to 16, which is usually the default address for one keypad systems. Does that sound about right?

Old 09-20-19, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, that is the address that is always active. Pressing 1+3 on the existing keypad will display the current address.

Old 09-23-19, 07:49 AM
Got the new keypad yesterday and the install went great. I was able to address it correctly and even label my zones with the pre programmed alpha words. I have two questions, please.

1) I'm only using this system as a local for the time being. Is there a way to permanently get rid of the "Comm. Failure" message? I tried going to program fields 41 & 42 to see if any numbers where shown, but I didn't see any phone numbers. I'm wondering if I can just disable something to stop the "Comm. Failure" Message from displaying.

2) The LCD back light doesn't seem to be working consistently. It will sometimes come on when a button is pressed but other times it wont. It seems that I read somewhere a low battery will cause this and I currently do have a bad battery which I plan on replacing today. I hope this will fix the issue. Is there a way to tell the keypad to keep the light on all the time? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for helping me out!

Old 09-23-19, 11:42 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I've been retired for some time, but double check 40 thru 46 (account numbers) and 60 thru 76 (report codes). IIRC ADT blocked access to the phone numbers in the panel so it can't be hijacked. If report codes aren't the problem, you may be stuck.
Mr.RonFL should be along later in the day.

Old 09-23-19, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a way for them to use the download software to prevent changing or deleting the programmed phone numbers; but it's uncommon for most franchises to do that with the SW 3000 models.

When you try to look at those programming locations, are you pressing #41 & #42, or are you pressing *? Star won't display anything, it's just waiting for further input.

Go ahead and try the *41* & *42* sequence.

Old 09-25-19, 05:40 AM
I entered programming mode and used the following key sequences: *41*41* followed by *42*42* then exited programming mode. The comm. failure message went away.

I replaced the battery while system still had power. The low battery warning was still on but I knew it was fully charged as the battery store tested it for me when purchasing. I then performed a full power cycle by unplugging the battery and transformer for a few seconds.

After doing this power cycle, the low battery alarm went away and now my keypad will back light on each press of button which it was not doing while the display showed the low battery warning.

As of now, my local system seems o be running great. It's an early 2000's system and I don't know the life span of them, but I hope it lasts a while longer!

Thank you to the forum for helping me sort through my issues. A local company advised me that I would need at least $300 to get my system up and running as a local because they couldn't gain access or program my old ADT system. They didn't know I had the power of DIY forum to help me save my $!!! Thanks again!

Old 09-25-19, 05:50 AM
Like any electronic device, your 15-20 year old system could last another 15-20 years or it could crash tomorrow. It's a crap shoot lol.

Old 10-04-19, 07:14 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I had a vista 10se installed on one of my properties in 1997 by adt and it’s still running fine up to this day lol. It did die last year due to a burn out fuse and power supply. But I upgraded those and a new battery and it continues to work. It could die any moment or decide to work longer