Honeywell Vista20p add alarms

Old 11-14-19, 04:03 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honeywell Vista20p add alarms

Hi,
I have Honeywell Vista20p system with smoke and co2 detectors installed. They are connected to RRS-MOD i3 series reversing relay.

1. Smoke: only 2-wires (black and red) are coming to the panel. They are connected to RRS-MOD and RRS-MOD is connected to Terminal 8 and 9.
2. CO2: power (black and red) are connected to RRS-MOD and green and yellow are connected to 19 and 20 terminals.

Question: I am adding additional smoke and CO2 alarms but I can't connect them to existing devices as they are not accessible. I have the wires from new smoke alarm and CO2 at the panel. How do I connect them?

Old 11-14-19, 03:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
These type of devices have to be wired in parallel, because they are supposed to be supervised circuits. If you can't run wires from the existing devices to extend the circuit; but you can get from the alarm control to the new device locations, what you need to do is run twice as many conductors as the new devices need so that you can pick up the circuit at the panel, run out to the new devices, with a pair (or two pairs in the case of the CO detectors) running back to the alarm control where you would connect them to the outbound wires of the existing loops.

In essence; you would be inserting the new devices between the head end terminals and the existing device circuit.

(it's harder to describe than it is to do...)

Old 11-15-19, 06:10 PM
N
You are correct. It's hard for me to understand by reading. Are you suggesting running them as series? I already have wires from new devices to panel and just don't know how to hook them up.

Old 11-17-19, 07:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Step one: When you run wires for your new devices you have to run an extra pair (for a two wire device) At the new device, you would connect them to the appropriate terminals, as if you will be continuing the wiring to another device (look at the wiring diagram for the detector, for this).

Step two: At the head end, you take the pair of wires going OUT to the existing device off, and connect the to the pair returning from the new device.

Step three: At the head end, you take the pair of wires going OUT to the NEW device and land them on the alarm control terminals in the place of the existing device terminals..

This will wire the old and new devices in parallel, and maintain circuit supervision.

The same concept works with 4 wire devices, you are just adding power wires to the mix.

I can try to diagram this out; but I hope this clarifies the idea.

Old 11-18-19, 04:31 AM
N
Great idea!

I think I follow you and I just need to see if I have enough wires available to connect.

Let me try to figure out this weekend and will keep you posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: