Zone Types for Wireless Sensors (NX-8E)

Old 12-06-19, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zone Types for Wireless Sensors (NX-8E)

Long story, so I'll do my best to explain. I have Control4 and recently purchased an NX-584e to integrate with my C4 system. I'm running into some issues with the integration and going through a whole lot of troubleshoot, I have questions on zone types on the NX-8E. I know that the NX-8E also has what the NX-584E offers, but in order to properly integrate and location of the panel to the C4 controller, the 584 made more sense to use. That said...

I have a simple alarm install, nine zones, all wireless. When I go and look at the zone types in location 25 and 27, they are listed accordingly and were set up this way but he company I used when we built the house.

Zone 1 - Zone Type 3 (Door sensor)
Zone 2 - Zone Type 3 (Door sensor)
Zone 3 - Zone Type 6 (Door sensor)
Zone 4 - Zone Type 5 (Motion sensor)
Zone 5 - Zone Type 5 (Motion sensor)
Zone 6 - Zone Type 5 (Motion sensor)
Zone 7 - Zone Type 6 (Glassbreak)
Zone 8 - Zone Type 6 (Glassbreak)
Zone 9 - Zone Type 6 (Glassbreak)

When I read the NX-8e manual, it says on page 29, "Use zone types 17 through 20 for wireless...". Clearly, my setup of zone types above, I'm not using types 17 through 20.

So as I continue to try and troubleshoot some of the integration issues with Control4 and the NX-584E, I am wondering if incorrect zone types are throwing things off. What I'm not clear on, is what zone types each of the sensors I noted about would be if I were to use types 17-20. And I don't want to change anything and end up in a bad spot; some of the motion sensors are bypassed when we're home sleeping, but fully armed when away, etc. I don't think changing a zone type would impact any of that.

Anyone have ideas when my current wired zone types would translate into for "wireless" types. I've read the manual a couple of times, not clear to me what to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-19, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thinking the changes would be...

Zone 1 - Zone Type 3 ---> 17 (Door sensor)
Zone 2 - Zone Type 3 ---> 17 (Door sensor)
Zone 3 - Zone Type 6 ---> 19 (Door sensor)
Zone 4 - Zone Type 5 ---> 18 (Motion sensor)
Zone 5 - Zone Type 5 ---> 18 (Motion sensor)
Zone 6 - Zone Type 5 ---> 18 (Motion sensor)
Zone 7 - Zone Type 6 ---> 19 (Glassbreak)
Zone 8 - Zone Type 6 ---> 19 (Glassbreak)
Zone 9 - Zone Type 6 ---> 19 (Glassbreak)

Old 12-10-19, 07:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Those zone 17-20 zone types simple add the function of the tamper switch on the battery compartment of the transmitter being a discrete alarm.

With the base zone types, opening the battery compartment acts the same as if the zone contact were opened. Using the specific zone types will not change how the zone reacts/reports, otherwise.

If you read the zone type descriptors in the manual: zones 3-6 and 17-20 function identically, except for the additional tamper signal.