Ademco Safewatch Pro 2000 Battery question

Old 01-11-20, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco Safewatch Pro 2000 Battery question

Hi, last night my system beeped and showed what looked like several zone Battery failures. The issue is that it displayed zones that do not exist. I stopped the beeping and tried to alarm the system. It came back as ready and away but the BAT indicator remained on and the display cycled from zone 36 through 39. None of which are setup. I tested the Main battery at 13.3 volts. Since none of my real transmitters were being called out I decided to replace the 5 yr old Main battery. The system still Displays the same cycling of zones and BAT.
System was installed in 1999. Ademco Vista20

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-20, 02:51 PM
So I watched the pattern on the display and noticed the following:
AC and Ready stay on consistently however the cycle is 36, 37, 38, 39 36, 37, 38, 39 all with BAT lit then everything clears except for AC and Ready and the cycle begins after about 5 seconds.

Old 01-11-20, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It looks like your system thinks it has wireless points on 36-39 and that they have low batteries.
Do you have wireless points on the system ?
What is the highest used wireless point number that you know of ?

Old 01-11-20, 06:02 PM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Primo20, the symptoms you describe make me suspicious that your system has wireless sensor/transmitter zones that you don't know about. The thing about a zone low battery signal is that (1) the panel has to be programmed to have that zone, and (2) a wireless sensor assigned to said zone has to actually send the low-battery signal.

Try this: Power down the system by taking one wire off the Panel battery, and unplug the transformer. Wait a few seconds, the power back up: Battery first, then transformer. The Zone Lo Bat should be cleared in display because of the panel reset, but should reappear within an hour or so, probably not all zones at the same time.
If the zone low batteries are still displaying immediately after power-up; or if they all come back at once, then you probably have a bad Vista-20SE Panel.
If they never come back, then your Panel probably had a (very rare) glitch, OR the batteries died and you'll be getting a CHECK on all those zones about 12 hours after power-up. (You'll want to time the power-up so that 12 hours later isn't the middle of the night.)

Are you the original system owner who lived in the house when the system was installed? Or did you acquire the system when you bought the house, alarm system included?

There are a number of devices that might sit unnoticed or hidden for years, until the batteries run low: For example, smoke or CO sensors that never get triggered, sensors on crawl-way or attic hatches, sensors for closet doors for valuables, etc; possibly even unobtrusive basement windows.

You may need to go into your panel's *56 menu programming and see what the Zone Types are for these zones, so you know what to look for. If you've never been in your Panel's programming before, I recommend you not start before checking back with us. Look for previously undiscovered wireless sensors first.

Old 01-11-20, 06:41 PM
Original owner. All zones are wireless (22 total) Numbered 10-32. System worked fine for 20 yrs. This issue just started yesterday.
even though the 36, 37, 38, 39 & BAT are displayed, the system shows Ready and lets me arm it as Away or stay. No zones higher than 32 have ever been established.

Last edited by Primo20; 01-11-20 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-12-20, 01:30 AM
In that case, it sounds like the V-20 Panel itself has glitched. You might try the power cycling procedure I mentioned, and see if that resets it back to normal.

If it doesn't, the Panel is suspect: You don't know what else might not be working improperly. You could just live with the flaky display, but I would replace the Panel with a Vista-20P. The Panel Programming for the new panel is almost exactly the same--you wouldn't even need to change any of the zone numbers: Just program the new Panel zone numbers as they are now.

All existing peripherals (Keypads, 5800 RF Receiver, etc) are compatible with the new panel. That's the beauty of Ademco (now Honeywell) systems.

EDIT: Just noticed from your latest post: If your zones are numbered sequentially from 10 through 32, then I think you have 23 zones. Not relevant to anything, but it just caught my eye.

Old 01-12-20, 08:10 AM
Yeah, bad math on my part.
So if I reset the panel, I should not lose any of the current zone settings right?
Also with regard to the 12 hour note.. the worst that happens is the keypad beeps no alarm or horn triggers right.
if I do need to replace the board, what info do I need? All I have is a list of the zone numbers and the window or door they match. I don’t know how that translates to a transmitter MAC or s/n.

Old 01-12-20, 09:31 PM
No, none the Panel Programming is lost when you power the Panel down and back up (Power Cycling). Ademco models haven't had to worry about Panel power-downs since the '80s, and even then it was only the Master and User Codes. Nothing in programming is lost in power-downs for the Vista-20 Series.

Yes, if the Panel sees a "CHECK" trouble condition 12 hours after power-up, it beeps at the keypad only; no sirens/horns/strobes, _IF_ the condition is initiated while the system is disarmed. So it's good to time that so that IF it comes up 12 hours later, it's while you're at home, and system disarmed, and not in the middle of the night.

Old 01-13-20, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
Low battery for groups of 4 consecutive zones is normally from a four button keyfob. Do you have any remotes that you have not been using that are sitting forgotten in a drawer or box?

Old 01-13-20, 04:57 AM
No, there are no key fobs only the 22 wireless transmitters and a wireless indoor motion sensor.
i thought the vista 20( chip WA20ADT-1 rev2 was limited to 24 wireless zones. I am using zones 10-32 wouldn’t that make zone 33 the only other available zone to program? Wouldn’t 36-39 be excluded?

Old 01-13-20, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, on a SW2000/Vista 20se, the system maxes out at 32 total zones with 24 of them being wireless. I'm agreeing that the most likely thing is that the panel firmware is failing. If a cold restart doesn't clear things up, replacement is the next step.

For replacing the board, you need the new board (Vista 20p) and a 2-line alpha keypad (6160 if you don't already have one, or the older 6139 keypad). You need the list of what all of your existing zones are. Don't worry about the transmitter serial numbers, since they are enrolled by activating the transmitter in the programming process. The one caveat is that some of the older transmitter models have issues with the newer firmware (something Honeywell may have remedied in recent firmware revisions).

Old 01-13-20, 05:28 PM
I have the 6128 keypad so it only shows the zone number. I have a hand written list that matches zone number to a specific door or window. For example if zone 10 check displays I have to look up where in the house it is. Is this enough?

Old 01-13-20, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup, that's enough to start over. As I said, you need the better keypad for programming the replacement.

Old 01-13-20, 06:28 PM
Does that keypad change require new wiring from the panel to the keypad? It is 4 wire from panel to keypad and from panel to 5881-H wireless board( blue wire from wireless board is not connected)

Old 01-13-20, 08:32 PM
No, the keypad wiring is exactly the same. You _will_ need to address the keypad(s) for the Vista-20P, and possibly enable the address(es) in Panel Programming; but that's a trivial task that takes no more than a minute or two.

I have a few good used Vista-20P Panels and 6160 Keypads on my shelves. If you're interested, PM me and I could ship it to you for cheap, with KP already addressed to the Panel's already-enabled address (16); assuming you're not posting from Timbuktu.

Old 01-13-20, 11:48 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
i actually still have a vista 20se brochure from a adt dealer and in the small descriptions it states that the alarm panel was designed to last 10 years of service and after 10 years there are no guarantee and the system could fail any time. its a weird disclaimer ademco added to prevent lawsuits im guessing during that era. but looking at the posts ive seen on here so far. people seem to have weird glitches with their 10se or 20se ademco panels after 15 to 20 years which is very impressive compared to todays standards where technology moves fast.

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Finally got back to this and restarted the system.
disconnected battery
disconnected AC
WAITED 2 minutes
plugged in AC
Waited 2 minutes
reconnected battery
display shows AC, BAT, Ready& green ready led is on.
this is a new battery that has been plugged in for a week prior to the restart.

How long before the BAT notice should clear?
i noticed that when I open a zone and press * the zome number and not ready shows AND the BAT goes away until I close the zone.

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Try power-cycling again, but this time, don't wait 2 minutes between plugging in AC and connecting the battery. There's no reason not to plug in the battery immediately following AC, and 2 minutes might be giving the Panel time to notice it's got a battery problem.

Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
That cleared it.
It showed d1 on the display when it first powered up. After a minute or two it cleared and only AC and ready show. Is that normal?
I opened a zone when it was disarmed and it went to not ready and displayed the correct zone.
After that I armed it for stay and then disarmed it and so far everything looks normal.
I will arm the system an open a zone tomorrow to check the siren. I want to see if the original problem comes back over night first.
Thanks !!