Updating alarm system

Old 01-15-20, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Updating alarm system

Hi all, I have a security system in the home I just bought, it was installed in 2005. There are 3 Honeywell keypads all are FBII ,picture included. I have a huge amount of windows and doors in my house and all of them are alarmed. Iíd like to be able to use this system as just a stand alone without a service. Is there a way to do that with what I have? Should I update the keypads? Thank you in advance

Iím working on including my pics, havenít figured it out yet

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-20, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
Old 01-15-20, 05:21 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
While you're working with the pictures, find the *Control Panel* and see if the make and model number is on a diagram inside the door of the steel cabinet that houses it. The door of the Control Panel cabinet may be locked. The key is often concealed under the top lip of the door where it overlaps the cabinet (at least in my area).

A photo of the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and any peripheral modules at/nearby the PCB will give us a better idea of what you're working with.

In my own humble opinion (~ 40 years as service tech) is not really that old and replacing the Panel & keypads shouldn't be necessary, as long as they're working---with the caveat that it _may_ be a proprietary brand that has build-in hardware/firmware to prevent you accessing it, but statistically your chances are good that you can use your existing system.

And yes, all commercial-grade systems can be used as stand-alone, without monitoring.

Old 01-16-20, 05:37 AM
Thank you very much for the reply, once I switched to a desktop I was able to follow the instructions on inserting pics. Thanks again for any help

Attached Images      
Old 01-16-20, 08:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
installer manual: https://www.schulersecurity.com/pdfdocs/FBI-XL31.pdf

This is an old style system, and isn't very DIY friendly. I recommend reading over the manual, especially section 9.2 which describes the programming interface. Then you can ask us to interpret any parts you have trouble following.

If you are lucky, the installer code is still at the factory default (4612) otherwise, you may have to default the system and start from scratch.

Old 01-16-20, 08:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
installer manual: https://www.schulersecurity.com/pdfdocs/FBI-XL31.pdf

It can be set as a local only panel.
This is an old style system, and isn't very DIY friendly. I recommend reading over the manual, especially section 9.2 which describes the programming interface. Then you can ask us to interpret any parts you have trouble following.

If you are lucky, the installer code is still at the factory default (4612) otherwise, you may have to default the system and start from scratch. This one does have a feature where they could have used download software to lockout defaults, so that is a small possibility.

Old 01-17-20, 06:12 AM
Thank you for the manual and info, I printed it out and began reading. I have a couple of questions.

1. If my goal is to just use the alarm system as a stand alone, all I'm really needing to do is change the pin code to one I choose, is that correct?
2. I noticed that there are numerous questions that I can go through in installer mode, if they are already set from the previous owner can I just leave them the way they are?

Old 01-17-20, 06:47 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds like all you're really wanting to do is prevent it from calling out to a monitoring station, right?

Old 01-17-20, 06:58 AM
ďSounds like all you're really wanting to do is prevent it from calling out to a monitoring station, right?Ē

i just want want to be able to use it without a monitoring service, but I donít have any of the codes except for hopefully the default installer code if that hasnít been changed.

Old 01-17-20, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
ln the programming question 5 (dialer options) you have to change the third digit to a "4" in order to disable the dialer. Otherwise, it will stay in trouble for continually trying to dial out.

Otherwise, the other main thing is to set your own user code.