Get rid of ADT system

Old 01-20-20, 02:40 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Get rid of ADT system

Just bought a house with ADT SCW9057G-433 key pad and sensors installed. I don't pay for monitoring or have a contract with ADT and I don't know how long or if the previous owner did either. I know there is still power to the keypad because the backlight is on. I want to uninstall the system and get everything off my walls. Anyone have an idea how I can do that and not get any false alarms or sirens going off?

I used Mr. Google but didn't find much about taking the system down.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-20, 03:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
The system is an all in one unit. Unplug the battery, and unplug the power transformer from it's outlet, and it's dead. Remove the components at your leisure.

Old 01-20-20, 06:04 AM
Received 119 Votes on 109 Posts
May son has the same situation. You can't just call ADT and ask them to remove their equipment.

Old 01-20-20, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info! I took a couple pictures. I'm not sure what the ADT box is about 3-4 feet above the keypad. Also I found a lockbox in my basement next to the DSC plug. Do I need to do anything with it or just unplug the adapter beside it? thanks again! Name:  pic 1.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  132.5 KBName:  pic 2.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  126.4 KBName:  pic 3.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  185.0 KB

Old 01-20-20, 02:44 PM
If you're just trying to shut this system down, you can either open the metal box and remove the battery connection, or if you wait long enough it'll run out of juice and shut down. ADT won't come remove the system because it belongs to you.

The white box is probably an indoor siren.

Last edited by pearljammer; 01-20-20 at 02:48 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-20-20, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The piece higher up on the wall is a siren for a hardwired system, and the box in the basement is the enclosure for a hardwired system. I suspect that what happened, is that they replaced an original hardwired system with the wireless all-in-one unit, probably reusing the original keypad wires for power for the AIO. The original system enclosure is just an oversized junction box, and the siren is just covering up the hole in the wall that it's wire came through. Kind of a lazy install, if you ask me.

In any case, if you unplug the power pack, then take a small screwdriver to the little slots at the bottom of the wall unit (there may also be a small locking screw under the bottom center edge), you can work the face off and unplug the battery pack that is inside. Once that is done, you can disconnect the wires, and remove the thing from the wall, if you wish.

Old 01-20-20, 05:32 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
headbanger783, do you mind if I ask in what part of the country you're located--assuming you're in the USA?

Old 01-21-20, 02:57 AM
Thanks so much, yea I'm going to remove everything, except the wiring. So I assume once I unplug and disconnect the battery then the siren can't go off and I can remove that as well? Thanks!

Old 01-21-20, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The odds are that the siren isn't actually connected to anything operational.

Old 01-21-20, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 513 Votes on 483 Posts
I would have said NY but his bio says Pennsylvania.

Old 01-22-20, 02:55 AM
thanks again for your help. Got all that junk down yesterday! And yes, Pa.

Old 01-22-20, 07:09 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
NORM: Who owns the house? You or ADT? Yes, you have every right to remove it! First, know where everything is located! Alarm, Sounder, Light (while rare -there are some with lights - aka "flashers"; I have mine set up with Flashers). NO ADT (or any other Security Systems) will NOT remove their own equipment. They will ALL harass, threaten, etc - do not even bother contacting or alerting them!

Locate everything! System Box, Adapter, Sounder, Alarm, Lights (Flasher), Door Sensors (found up on top frame of door and a small magnetic strip below on door), Windows, etc. This will show you how to effectively remove the entire disgusting thing out of your house forever!

First, go to the Breaker Box Turn Power off where the power supply (Adapter is powered on disconnect the battery terminal. It is now officially dead. Leave adapter dangling and unplugged.

Go to the System Box (can be up in attic, stored in closet, etc). Remove battery terminal. Unit is now officially DEAD!
You can now turn breaker on and see that the Control Panel lights are "officially off".

WHOOT WHOOT!!! We're gonna now can this out of the house forever:

Now go to the power supply adapter (Typically found nearby the Breaker or Fuse Box); unplug! Easiest way to remove the system out of your house is: Cut the power line near the Adapter. (Throw adapter in garbage).

Return to the System Box, Cut all the wiring that goes outbound/inbound/ground (if there's a grounding connected). Remove System Box (if it is mounted - unscrew first) and throw in garbage.
Go to Control Panel (Pop it off the wall if old model, newer ones, pry the middle off and unscrew).
Leave wiring exposed. Throw in trash.

Go to the Sounder / Alarm and in some cases a free standing Light (also called Flasher) is used. Remove those, leave wiring exposed (long enough so you can pull)

Now throw all devices into the trash!

Wiring from the System Box that are sitting there - Pull them all out, throw in trash.

Door Sensors, pop them off - you can use a blunt butter knife, plastic putty knife, spatula. Pop open and remove the batteries -(those batteries in there may still have some life and can be used for something else) .. Throw in trash. Magnetic strips, pop off and throw in trash.

Window Sensors, same thing - however, the sensors on the window - I recommend to leave it alone; do not try to remove that... if you cannot pop them off easily... leave it!

The only thing left now is patching up and painting those exposed spots!

You did it! Your home is free, free, free at last!

Old 01-22-20, 07:53 AM
Not my house. My son's. He's cleaning up a lot of crap the previous owners left.
I use Simplisafe and love it.

Old 01-22-20, 08:28 AM
SimpliSafe definitely has its disadvantages.

Old 01-22-20, 09:39 AM
SimpliSafe definitely has its disadvantages.
As does all other security systems. It all depends on what your level of security NEEDS to be vs what you think you need.

This discussion has been going on in this forum for a number of years. Those of you who are in the "business" will defiantly not like the DIY systems. But there are those of us who feel we need a minimal semi-passive security system. Simpisafe and others such as ABODE, Ooma, Ring Alarm, Abode Iota, Honeywell Home Security, Nest Secure, Swann, among many others, fills that need.

Perhaps the biggest criticism of the DIY systems is that they can be easily hacked. True, IF there is a reason to be hacked, in which case that kind of system is the wrong one for the situation. On the other hand an ADT, or Wells-Fargo and such systems are expensive and very limiting for use in a non high risk security environment.

Hell, even bank security systems can and have been broken into. Does a typical home in a typical suburban neighborhood with little or no "valuable" items need a bank type security system? Or does the isolated farm house need high end alarm systems (especially since police help, most likely won't or can't respond in a timely manner) be of any more valuable vs cost?

Statistics IIRC shows that most break-in where valuable items (jewelry, art, high end electronics, etc..) are targeted by thieves who already have a knowledge of the valuables in the home or premises.
Vandals on the other hand may target almost any home or premise if the need is there to secure such things as drug money. So this then begs the question, what is the risk of break-in for your particular premise?

Lets be blunt, a ghetto area should most likely have a better system than a DIY system, if that area is frequently targeted with break-ins. A small business in an inner city environment should not use a DIY. In fact I'm betting insurance will require a professional system installed. Lets move up to a typical suburban or town village area. Again depends on the risk factor and frequency of past break-ins. Probably a DIY system for the home owner will suffice. An industrial park...most likely a pro install, maybe a night watchman and maybe even a dog.(BTW...even a junk yard dog can be immobilized if the intruders are serious.) A small business in a suburban neighborhood, can go either way.

Up until now I use the term valuables as reason to have or not have a security system. The other side of the issue is personal intrusion and violation of one's home. Any DIY or pro-installed system, cannot take back the personal violation that is incurred, by mere virtue of the fact that it has already been breached regardless of the security system. The next issue is if an intrusion takes place what is the response time involved to catch or prevent further theft or bodily harm. Regardless of the system be it pro or DIY will only be as good as the local police can respond.

So those of you who do not like DIY security systems, must also not like cameras. I mean what good is a cam? It can only show you what is happening and nothing can be done about it. But I bet most DIY or pro installs will want a cam!

Another point is openly show the use of a security system be it DIY or pro, as a deterrent. And yes it does work. Stores show sings advising cams and security is in use, fake cams are used, and even the threat of a dog is used. So putting up a sign that your home is protected by Simplisafe or ADT, is a deterrent for a would be intruder to try another house without the warning. Remember the point is not to catch the intruder but to prevent the intrusion.

As I mentioned in previous post on this subject, my Simplisafe system has in fact worked for me. Not that I had a robbery, but my son dropped off material while I was not home. He forgot the security password. The alarm went out immediately and I was informed within 60 seconds, and via camera I was able to say it was OK and not an intruder. My daughter-in-law (also Simplisafe) did not take the system seriously at her own home. She did not disarm the unit and the police were on the scene within 5 minutes. It works!

BTW...My Simplisafe was given to me as gift. Great gift.

Old 01-22-20, 01:37 PM
Fair enough. I don't disagree with that.

Old 01-22-20, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
My biggest issue with SimpliSafe is that they give you the perception that they don't have any monitoring contracts and you can cancel at any time. What they don't tell you is that the hardware is proprietary to them and cannot be used with any other monitoring company. So, for example, if you become unhappy with Simplisafe's service and cancel, the system that you purchased and own is useless. Simplisafe also doesn't have much of a selection when it comes to sensors for intrusion, fire or CO but that's a different issue.

That issue also pertains to some of the other "DIY" systems you mentioned above like Ring etc.

You can "DIY" install a professional system like a Honeywell Vista 20p, Honeywell Lyric controller, DSC PowerSeries, 2GIG Go Control etc. just as easily as you can a Simplisafe system (except for the hardwired systems like the 20p and PowerSeries). There are plenty of instructional videos online. Check out AlarmGrid's YouTube Channel. These systems have huge advantages over Simplisafe and Ring for a few reasons;

1. The systems aren't proprietary to the manufacturer. (You can pick and choose any alarm company you like to monitor the system) There are plenty of alarm companies that cater to DIYers and will monitor these systems without making you sign a contract. Check out AlarmGrid, GeoArm and Alarm Relay. In my opinion this is a HUGE deal. Over the years I have switched to different alarm companies while using the same equipment.

For example, we'll say you have a 2GIG system using GeoArm as a monitoring company and no longer like them. You can cancel your monitoring service with GeoArm and sign-up with AlarmGrid using the same 2GIG system and all of the equipment you have installed. Both GeoArm and AlarmGrid do not make you sign a monitoring contract. This is not possible with Simplisafe or Ring

2. Hardwired systems like the Vista 20p and DSC PowerSeries can interface with 3rd party modules (Envisalink 4) and be self-monitored with NO monthly fees (Remote arm/disarm, text/email alerts on events etc.).

3. The above-mentioned systems are considered "professional grade" and have more of a selection of sensors. This includes PIR motion detectors, Dual Tech motion detectors, Motion detectors that have animal immunity up to 100lbs, outdoor motion sensors and entry sensors. Heat detectors that can be installed in attics, garages and kitchens. etc. In my opinion the systems are higher quality and have higher quality sensors. A system like Simplisafe or Ring simply does not have the sensors that I would need to fully cover my house.

4. Hardwired sensors are compatible with just about any hardwired system. For example, a hardwired Bosch motion detector can be used on a hardwired Honeywell system. The hardwired Bosch motion detector can even be installed on fully wireless 2GIG or Honeywell system using a wired to wireless translator. My point for this is that you're not limited to manufacturer specific sensors. The Honeywell Lyric was recently updated to accept 2GIG wireless sensors and the 2GIG system will accept Honeywell wireless sensors etc.

As a consumer who has a lot of knowledge of the alarm industry, I would never consider purchasing Simplisafe or Ring for the reasons I mentioned above. If you look on Simpisafe's forums there are a lot of users who are unhappy with the service. If they cancel outside of the return window they're stuck with hundreds of dollars of worthless equipment. With that being said, I would never allow ADT or any other national branded alarm company to install an alarm system in my house even if they paid me. Companies like ADT do not make a profit when they install an alarm system. They make their money on RMR (Recurring Monthly Revenue) which is why they lock you into long term contacts. This results in halfassed installations without full protection. In my experience, most of the "professional" technicians that I have dealt with are incompetent and have no business in the alarm industry.

When it comes to security cameras, I prefer Dahua or Hikvision POE cameras interfaced with BlueIris. Ring, Nest, Arlo or any other cloud cameras are junk. If you want to educate yourself on security cameras check out ipcamtalk.com

Old 01-22-20, 06:06 PM
You're neither right or wrong. As I said before...
It all depends on what your level of security NEEDS to be vs what you think you need.
Your point # 3 is fantastic. And I like it. But as you said, it's profession grade. Doesn't mean it needs to be installed professionally. How many people need or can afford that level?
If a system like Simplisafe works and you are satisfied with the cost and the level of security, why would I consider changing systems or equipment unless a major change in my life style changes?
But I like what you have to say and it gives a lot more options to work with.
Great reply.

Just another note or comment...Many of the homes in my neighborhood have outside cams and or security systems of various sorts and we make it well know that our area is monitored. That I think is probably more important than the security systems themselves.

edit...apologizes to the OP for hi-jacking your post. We (I) have probably beaten this horse to death.

smiticans voted this post useful.
Old 01-22-20, 06:33 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you're already in the Simpisafe ecosystem then there really isn't a point to switch unless you're unhappy or want to expand your security system beyond what Simplisafe is capable of. My post was intended for someone who is in the market for a security system and doesn't have a lot of knowledge between the systems. A lot of people get sucked into the fancy marketing and don't really understand the technical limitations of the system.

But as you said, it's profession grade. Doesn't mean it needs to be installed professionally. How many people need or can afford that level?
The systems that I mentioned previously aren't expensive. A Vista 20p with a 6160RF keypad (will allow the system to accept wireless sensors) is about $140.00. Right now the Honeywell 5800mini (wireless door/window sensors) are approximately $19.00 each. Most of these system components aren't that much more expensive than a sensor for Simplisafe.

Just another note or comment...Many of the homes in my neighborhood have outside cams and or security systems of various sorts and we make it well know that our area is monitored. That I think is probably more important than the security systems themselves.
I respectfully disagree. I'm not sure where you're from but where I'm from the criminals tend to ignore cameras and security systems. Either because they don't care or because they're too high to notice. Not saying all of them do, deterrence is important, but feeling safe and being safe are two different things. What's the point of spending money on a camera system if the quality is too poor to identify the suspect?

Physical security is also just as important (deadbolts with a reinforced frame etc).