Using dsc wireless door sensor as transmitter

Old 01-23-20, 03:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using dsc wireless door sensor as transmitter

Hello,
I see that the 4945 wireless sensors can be used as a transmitter only by wiring a wired contact into the hard wire terminals built into it.
the manual says that only one wired NC door contact should be used per transmitter.
is there any issue with using more than one wired contact in NC series?

i have several banks of windows which already have wired contacts and am looking to upgrade some by placing a single 4945 per bank with the windows in that connected to it.

thx

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-20, 03:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
The units have a limited amount of battery power, and each contact added to the loop does add a small amount of additional loop resistance.

Basically, they won't certify functionality with more than a single contact on the transmitter. You can _try_ adding more, but just realize that such a set up might be unstable, in the long run.

Old 01-23-20, 12:18 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
John, I have done what you're proposing, albeit with a different brand. I wired a bank of basement windows to a Honeywell/Ademco 5816 sensor/transmitter, part of an Ademco Via-30 system whose 2 wired zones were maxed out. It was a last resort measure to hold costs down. Customers couldn't afford a panel upgrade.
That was 15 years ago, and it worked for me and the customers that one time, but it's not something I did on a regular basis. There's always a risk when you use devices outside their design specs. Since (I assume) you're doing it for yourself, in your own home, and you'll be there to assess its efficacy for the next few years; then I'd say it's worth a shot.

Old 01-24-20, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks, I will try using two per sensor and use a good gauge wire.

One more question, I see the 4965 can take 2 NC wired sensors piggy backing
it doesnt say if these must be door or vibe sensors.

Is there much difference between door or vibe wired sensors when piggy backing once they are NC ?
thanks,

Old 01-24-20, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Shock sensors have a higher intrinsic internal resistance than a regular switch contact. You _might_ have an issue with more than one on a single transmitter, but one shock and one contact is likely safe.