Back Up Battery System

Old 02-10-20, 10:17 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Back Up Battery System

HI
I hope someone can shed some light on the question.

I have a DSC PC1846 alarm system.
My area experiences quite long and frequent electricity interruptions.

I want to add an external battery back up system. It consists of a battery charger, and 12 vdc rated outputs. It has its own PSU. Image attached with the battery cavity empty.

The manufacturer states that I can connect the 12vdc output of the back up battery directly to my alarm panel battery input.

I am concerned the alarm panel will try to charge the external battery back up system and damage it.

I have thought of using 1N4007 diodes to stop the reverse flow of voltage, but will that not cause the alarm panel damage? Installing the 1N4007 diode to only let current flow from the battery back up system into the alarm panel battery input, but not the other way.

I would appreciate some help on this. Please feel free if you need more information.

Attached Images  
Old 02-12-20, 06:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
I'm going to go under the assumption that you meant "DSC PC1864".

I wouldn't recommend it. There are far too many ways for that to trash the system board power supply.

You would be far better off to put a larger battery on the system (it will support up to 14 Ah), and if you want to "belt and suspender", your best bet is to use a standard 120V UPS and plug the system transformer into that.

aLama voted this post useful.
Old 02-14-20, 09:02 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Instead of using a 120v UPS system, would it be ok to add a smart battery charger to charge a 12v car battery which is feeding a pure sine wave inverter. Then plug the system transformer into the inverter. I ask because the car battery probably has much more reserve capacity than the UPS system and may be cheaper.

Old 02-14-20, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Would that work..... yes.... but doing it that way will require the inverter to always be running.
That battery charge would be working hard all the time to keep the battery charged.

A UPS only switches to the inverter when needed.

aLama voted this post useful.
Old 02-17-20, 12:48 AM
A
that you meant "DSC PC1864".
Yes indeed, sorry about that.
would be far better off to put a larger battery on the system (it will support up to 14 Ah)
It is a good suggestion, however I am not kidding when I say I often sit without electricity. Area supply often goes out. Last week we had a 40 hour interruption. On top of that the national supplier then also applies load shedding when the electricity is restored. What is load shedding? Rotational power interruptions of varying lengths depending on shortage in supply nationally. I am sure you are not that interested in that.

The module that I linked supports up to 18 Ah.
Also charges a bit faster since the PSU is dedicated to charging.

I found a wiring diagram from the same guys that make the back up battery system that I depicted in the original post. Basically it shows wiring the Battery Back up to the current Alarm Battery. I think this might be an option. I would then just add a relay to turn off the supply from the Back up unit to the Alarm battery when mains is restored.

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-20, 04:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
You seem confident that this scheme will work.

Just remember, if you let the smoke out of the box, it usually stops working...

Old 02-24-20, 01:04 AM
A
It is not that I am very confident that it will work, that is why I am asking before connecting.

I have seen some other ways these types of battery backups are connected as well.
The other way that would seem to not be completely silly, is to take everything from the AUX output on the alarm panel and connect to the battery backup unit. Also the radio.

This means the alarm panel is only power itself from its own back up battery, and everything else runs from the battery back up unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: