Looking For DIY Security System That Has No Monitoring Fee

Old 03-16-20, 03:04 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking For DIY Security System That Has No Monitoring Fee

Hello,

I am looking an open source DIY security system that has professional monthly monitoring for a low cost, or even free. I assume there are no free, professional monitoring services available, but wanted to check after seeing some of the affordable DYI systems (w/ monitoring) listed on Consumer Reports (Frontpoint, Samsung SmartThings ADT, and SimpliSafe). Since I travel a fair amount, the security system is 'mostly' for my fiance when she is home alone by herself with our small dog. We don't need a camera or camera monitoring, but 'mainly' a door and / or motion sensors.

Also, I am not sure if there are any systems out there that can call the police directly if a sensor is tripped, or if they all first go to a monitoring company, and then if there is a problem, they notify the police?

Since I am in the telecom industry, I won't have a problem installing and / or configuring any of the equipment. For example, a couple of years ago, I was looking for home security camera that was built into an exterior home light (similar to Kuna), but that didn't have a monthly service fee - an excellent suggestion came back to use Netamo which supported Google Drive, FTP, local storage and 'no' monthly fees.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-20, 03:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 101 Votes on 93 Posts
With very few exceptions, local authorities no longer permit security systems to directly call them. You _always_ have to go through a third party, whether it's a central station, or self-monitoring.

There are third party add on's that can give you a mobile phone interface and alerts; but all modern intrusion alarms are really designed for central station communication.

Old 03-17-20, 11:33 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for that info.... Yes, it does seem to be that all (most) monitoring needs to be through central monitoring.