Adding wireless motion detector to Safewatch Pro 3000

Old 04-17-20, 09:38 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding wireless motion detector to Safewatch Pro 3000

I have an ADT installation with a Safewatch Pro 3000 keypad. One of the motions has started eating batteries at the rate of about 1 every 2-3 months and they're not cheap. I bought a new Honeywell 5800PIR-RES, which is the same model as the faulty sensor.

My question is, how do I install and program the new motion sensor? I've been looking around and it seems as though I may have to buy a new keypad to accomplish this. If this is the case which model would be best to set up easily (if that's possible)? If there's an easy way to simply swap out and program the sensor, I haven't found it.

Thanks,

Theo

Old 04-18-20, 10:33 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
ADT doesn't make its own equipment. It re-labels equipment of major manufacturers with the ADT brand.
ADT's Safewatch Pro Control Panel (not Keypad) is a slightly modified Honeywell Vista-20P. The Control Panel is a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) that lives in a steel cabinet in some out-of-the-way place, like an unfinished basement, utility, or other closet. The Panel is the brains of the system.
http://www.nationwidesecuritycorp.co...all-Manual.pdf

The Keypad(s) is the interface between the User and the Panel. Think of it(them) as the keyboard & screen of a computer, but not the computer itself. Your keypad is probably either a Honeywell (re-labeled by ADT) 6160 or 6160RF; or more likely a 6150 or 6150RF.
You'd have to take the keypad off the wall to read the model number number of the mounting plate. It's easier to search eBay for Honeywell 6160 and 6150, and compare the pics to your keypad.
The RF versions look the same as the non-RF, so find your Control Panel and see if there's a 5881 RF Receiver at or near it. The 5881 would be hooked up to screw Terminals 4,5,6, & 7 at bottom of the Vista Panel. Use eBay to see what a Honeywell 5881 RF Receiver looks like. ( I use eBay because they usually have a lot more good pictures than Amazon or other sales sites.)
If you can't find the 5881 RF Receiver, then you may have the RF version of your Keypad, which means the RF Receiver is built into the keypad; and if you swap out the keypad, you'd need to buy the more expensive RF version for a replacement.

Unfortunately, the only way to swap out a wireless sensor is to delete the zone it's on, then re-enroll the new sensor on that same zone, in *56 Zone Programming. You WILL need a 6160 Keypad for *56 Zone Programming. You need the two-line Alphanumeric display to navigate through the *56 Menu. You don't necessarily have to swap out the keypad, though: You can buy the cheapest used 6160 you can find, and hook it up at the Panel temporarily for the programming; then put it aside for any future use.

Post back when you have the keypad you need, and let us know if you're going to swap it out, or just add the new KP. Keypads have different addresses, and replacing or adding KPs involves a simple procedure of making sure the Panel recognizes any KP's address. Press 1 and 3 simultaneously on your keypad and hold 3 seconds to see its address.

Old 04-21-20, 06:14 PM
N
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hey were you able to get the motion detector switched out? I program Honeywell panels all the time with a basic 6150 keypad. Having a 6160 helps a lot but isn't 100% necessary. If you still need help, I can help you.

Old 01-19-21, 08:10 PM
T
Hi ChosunOne, I'm back to see if anyone responded (completely forgot about it and haven't gone any further).

Thanks for the response but I have a few questions:

1. Can I simply buy a 6160 keypad and replace my Safewatch Pro 3000 (which is a useless one line keypad)?
2. I looked around but can't find anything that looks like a Honeywell 5881 RF Receiver. In this case, I guess that I should purchase the RF version of the 6160 as a replacement (once I figure out if the existing keypad has RF built in).

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Also, I'm looking into Total Connect 2.0 upgrade because I think my system supports it based on the control but this may be a long term project based on the fact that it seems to allow for a lot more in terms of home automation.

Thanks for the info!

Theo

Old 01-19-21, 08:13 PM
T
Njtxdevil, I never got around to it but I'm looking to fix it now because the one wireless motion is eating batteries about every two months and I can't program a new one with the existing keypad.

I just need to check to see if I have an RF keypad or not so I can pick up a new alphanumeric keypad (probably 6160).

Thanks for the support earlier but I let things slide a bit (what with nothing much going on in 2020 and all).

Theo

Old 01-20-21, 07:14 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you don't have the 5881 in your panel box, then you undoubtedly have a wireless keypad. Post a picture of your panel interior (particularly the main processor - a square chip about 3/4" square). Post a picture of the keypad also to make sure its not a weird one!

Old 01-20-21, 11:47 AM
T
Safewatch Pro 3000 replacement

Here are pics of the board and keypad.

Do I need to remove the keypad to see if it has the RF built in?

Thanks,

Theo

Old 01-20-21, 12:53 PM
S
No, you don't need to remove it. I think it's safe to say you have a 6150RF (provided there's nothing below the panel board next to the battery). Programming with the fixed word keypads is a pain and highly subject to (user) errors. You can get a new 6160 on ebay for $50-$60 or you might snag a used on for $10-$20. You can use this one just for programming at the panel or you could install it as a second keypad.

As far as TotalConnect is concerned, you'll need to replace the main ROM chip with the 10.23 version.

Old 01-20-21, 04:39 PM
C
Theo, I wouldn't rule out a 5881 (or more likely 5882, since you're in Canada) in your system yet. If you do already have a 5881/5882 in your system, a 6160RF would be overkill--you'd have to turn off the RF Receiver in the new KP before you could use it. You can't have two Receivers in the system.

Looking at your V-20P board's wire terminals (along the bottom), it looks like you have two peripheral devices hooked up to the data bus, terminals 6 & 7. If you have only one Keypad, that means you have one other peripheral device in the system. My first guess would be an RF Receiver. There are other peripheral devices, but KP and RF Rec'r are the most common. Do you know of any other peripheral devices in your system--e.g. a 4286 VIP (phone) Module?

The Receiver is often located near the Control Panel (CP), but it's also not uncommon to locate it remotely, at a higher or more central (to the house) location. Whenever I can't centrally locate the CP, I always try to locate the Receiver as high and central as I can for maximum reception, unless the premises is a really small place. Eg, if the CP is located in an unfinished basement, I could usually run a wire to some centrally located closet or utility space above.

If you absolutely can't find a 5881/5882, then I recommend you take the 6150 off the wall and check the back plate (which is where they hide the model #) to make sure what you have before you go buying new parts. I know it's a PIA to take it off the wall, but you'd have to do it to change it out anyway.

Old 01-20-21, 05:27 PM
T

Njtxdevil,

I think that I'm just going to replace this one with a new keypad because the keys are starting to stick a bit. Would it be a direct swap or is any programming required? I'm guessing that the wiring should be similar between the two.

Thanks for your help.

Theo

Old 01-20-21, 08:58 PM
C
The only programming required is the keypad address, which is already enabled in your panel. The way to read your current KP address in the KP itself, is a little different depending on whether it's a simple 6150, or a 6150RF.

Again, my advice is to take the keypad off the wall and read the model number on the back plate, so you know what you're working with. If it's just a simple 6150, you can find its address by pressing 1 and 3 simultaneously until it beeps and displays the 2-digit address.
My guess is that your existing KP is set to Address 17. If I'm right, and if you get a 6160 or 6160RF (depending on what your existing KP is), then you can address the 6160/6160RF Address to 16 and it'll work right away. See SETTING THE KEYPAD ADDRESS:
https://kb.nex-tech.com/files/image/...150-keypad.pdf
The only way Address 16 will not work for the new KP is if the existing one is addressed at 16 (unlikely but not impossible) and you keep it in the system when you add the new one: You can't have two KPs with the same address.

Again, I'm not convinced that you don't have a 5881/5882 RF Receiver somewhere--see my previous post #9.

Old 01-21-21, 10:52 AM
S
ChosunOne is correct, you have a couple of devices connected to the keyboard bus. And a 5881 could be mounted remotely somewhere. Probably safest to take the 6150 off the wall and check that it is, indeed, the RF version. If there's no label on the keypad, look inside for a couple of wires (about the thickness of a paperclip, along the edges and about 3" and 5" long). That will identify it as the RF version.

Old 01-21-21, 02:42 PM
T
I pressed 1 and 3 and it beeped and displayed dE. I couldn't clear it because I wasn't sure how so the alarm sounded for about a minute, I tried entering my code and it didn't work, hit a few other keys and it eventually stopped.

This was after I took the panel off the bracket and it sounded the alarm, I panicked and didn't see the model number and put the keypad back and keyed in my code.

Fun times.

So, I'll take the keypad off later once the kids are done their activities on their laptops so as to not disturb them and finally get the model number.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Old 01-21-21, 06:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
Old 01-22-21, 05:58 PM
S
As Mr Ron says, you have the RF keypad. If you press 1 + 3 on the keypad, the non-RF ones display the keypad address but the RF keypad will go into user programming mode and display "dE".

Old 01-22-21, 08:24 PM
C
Just to be clear:
Pressing 1 + 3 simultaneously and holding for a second or few puts the Keypad into Keypad Local Programming Mode, i.e., for programming the RF Keypad settings, not the Control Panel programming.

To replace that KP with a new KP to program your Panel to replace an existing flaky wireless sensor/transmitter on the same zone (which one?), you will need a 6160RF to navigate *56 Zone Programming.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: