Addressing a 6160RF keypad

Old 05-03-20, 03:32 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Addressing a 6160RF keypad

Hi All. Great site. It spurred me to get a security system for my vacation home. It'll consist of a Vista 20P main panel, 6160 RF keypad, four RF door sensors and 3 RF PIR sensors. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the next couple of weeks but, having read back over 2+ years of posts on this forum, I've seen several references to "this is how you address a 61xx keypad (not RF kepads)". Having looked at the instructions for the 6160 and the 6160RF keypad, they appear identical. Am I missing something here or in the previous posts on these keypads?

Thanks,

Keith

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

05-04-20, 02:40 PM
MrRonFL
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
The RF keypads configure somewhat differently than the non-RF keypads.

Within 60 seconds of powering the keypad press [1] & [3] at the same time.
It will display "CON ADDRESS"
Enter the 2 Digit address and press *
Keep pressing * until you exit program mode (you don't normally need to alter any of the other settings for basic keypad and receiver functionality).

Manual: https://safehomecentral.com/wp-conte...structions.pdf

Old 05-04-20, 02:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The RF keypads configure somewhat differently than the non-RF keypads.

Within 60 seconds of powering the keypad press [1] & [3] at the same time.
It will display "CON ADDRESS"
Enter the 2 Digit address and press *
Keep pressing * until you exit program mode (you don't normally need to alter any of the other settings for basic keypad and receiver functionality).

Manual: https://safehomecentral.com/wp-conte...structions.pdf

powerfool, sktn77a voted this post useful.
Old 05-04-20, 06:40 PM
S
OK, thanks. So that's it? Just enter "16" for the keypad address? Based on what I've read overnight and today, I don't need to enter anything for Receiver Address or House ID (given that I will be using only wireless sensors)?

Old 05-05-20, 02:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Nope, that's all. All of those other settings are for if you are adding things like 2-way devices (like a cordless keypad), or if you were using the keypad on a system that normally doesn't handle wireless devices.

sktn77a voted this post useful.
Old 05-05-20, 05:34 AM
S
OK, thanks again. Equipment is on the way!

Old 05-13-20, 07:00 PM
S
Everything arrived Monday and I've spent the last 2 days pouring over the instruction manuals and programming guide. I think I've gotten the hang of it. I have to leave town tomorrow until early next week and I'll start putting it all together when I get back. Be prepared for lots of questions then!!!

Old 05-30-20, 11:45 AM
S
OK, back in town, got the power and 6160RF keyboard connected up to the 20P panel, set the keypad address to 16 and were all set to go. First issue is I have faults on all 8 hardwired zones. My understanding is that I can connect a 2k resistor across each zone connection to get rid of this? Or I can go into programming and set the zone type to 00 (disabled)? I won't need any wired zones as everything is going to be wireless. Which of these is the best way to go?

Old 05-30-20, 11:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Just install the resistors. It only takes minutes, whereas fooling with the zone programming would take easily as long, if not longer.

Old 05-31-20, 11:15 AM
S
OK, so far so good. I'm starting on programming the wireless sensors now. My only question is what to put in for the Report Code in the Zone Programming section. This is a local system only with a loud siren and no monitoring service. So I should use Report Code 00?

Old 05-31-20, 12:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Just put 10 in the report code slots. If, in the future, you go monitored, or add something like an IP interface, that's the enabling code that lets it output contact ID.

Old 05-31-20, 07:02 PM
S
Ah, OK. So it won't give an error with a report code 10 if there is no reporting programmed and operational?

Old 05-31-20, 07:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as no phone numbers are programmed in *41, and *42, the report codes are ignored.

Old 06-01-20, 01:55 PM
S
OK, I understand. Two last questions (for now).

1. I think I've figured out how to program the A, B, and C special function keys for PANIC, STAY and AWAY, respectively:

4112 800 *56 0 95*........ 07....... 00 *99 For Panic/Key A
4112 800 *56 0 99*........ 21....... 00 *99 For Away/Key B
4112 800 *56 0 96*........ 20....... 00 *99 For Stay/Key C

But can't for the life of me figure out how to program the D key for anything useful (pager, etc, are not of interest to me). Any way I can program the D key like I have the A, B, C keys (eg by using the *56 menu).

2. My wife thinks the 6160RF keypad is too large and intrusive on her beautiful wall (?!) I can use the 6160RF to program and set up the system but I was thinking of getting a 6150RF to meet her request on "no bigger than the thermostat". Only question I have: is the RF reception of the 6150RF as good as the larger 6160RF?

Last edited by sktn77a; 06-01-20 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 04:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The two receivers are functionally identical. The 6160 RF is larger to accommodate the electronics associated with the larger, more complex display.

If you use *57 programming, you can configure the D key to do whole list of possible things. See page 8-1 of the manual:

http://www.nationwidesecuritycorp.co...all-Manual.pdf

Old 06-01-20, 05:22 PM
S
Thanks. I think I might have figured it out from an old 2002 programming guide (the B and C key sequences above were incorrect). Honestly, though, the current manual is gobbledygook! Here are the instructions from the relevant part of the 2015 programming guide (mine doesn't have sections headings, but I'm guessing this is the section you were referring to):

*57 FUNCTION KEY PROGRAMMING MENU MODE
"To assign emergency key functions, first program the respective emergency zone number (95 for A, 99 for B or 96 for C) with the desired zone type using *56 then use *57 to assign the desired key..........."

??? What on earth does that mean ???

Old 06-02-20, 02:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The panic zones are "virtual" but will go to the A B C keys, by default, once you select them in *57.

The installer manuals for security systems are _not_ a step by step instruction; they are a reference. They are written with the assumption that the installer has base line technical knowledge, including some manufacturer training.

Old 06-02-20, 09:59 AM
S
"The installer manuals for security systems are _not_ a step by step instruction; they are a reference. They are written with the assumption that the installer has base line technical knowledge, including some manufacturer training."

Yes, I understand that but I think the manufacturer should include some intelligeable instructions for buyers/end users (they no longer include a user manual or installation guide with the Vista 20P - just the programming manual).

Still, with the help of the 2002 programming guide (which is quite different from the 2015 programming guide) and the 2004 user guide and installation manual, I think I've figured it out. I'll let you know how it goes (fingers crossed).

Old 06-03-20, 02:09 PM
S
OK, managed to get the sensors programmed, the special function keys programmed and two additional user codes entered. I have the "A" key programmed as 24 hour audible PANIC using the *56 mode (above) and the "B", "C", and "D" keys programmed as AWAY, STAY and TEST using the *57 mode. Just wish there was an option to arm the system with no exit or entry delay so that my wife could arm it instantly when she's home alone. Don't see any option to do that (either with the special function keys or the CODE + ARM keys).

Next step is physically installing the system. Need to plan out the locations and test the RF sensor reception first before I go busting holes in the walls............. Wish me luck!

Old 06-03-20, 04:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
User Manual: https://www.armsecuritysystems.com/a...ser-Manual.pdf

You can arm in "Instant mode" which arms the perimeter with no entry delay; or "Maximum" which arms eve.rything with no entry delay. _All_ arming modes still have an arming delay. That's universal to all modern systems.