Pushing voice annunciation through old Apex system speakers

Old 05-22-20, 05:17 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pushing voice annunciation through old Apex system speakers

Hey guys, been a while since Iíve been here. I have run into a situation and the customer is relying on me to fix this. Customer had an Apex Destiny system which annunciated voice descriptors through three speakers throughout a large home. I replaced the system with a Honeywell Vista20 with one Tuxedo WiFi and two 6160V keypads. All are voice but the customer is not happy with volume compared to the Destiny panel that has the speaker output for annunciation built into the panel.

I am wondering if anyone has hacked the speaker on a 6160V to feed additional speakers? My thought is to put a 6160V at the panel and use the speaker wires along with a 12 volt car stereo amplifier to feed the proper power needed.

Ugh, this is a retired professional athlete and money is not really an issue but my capabilities with accomplishing this is an issue LOL.
I did mention after market wireless products that may give this but they feel like they are going backwards with their security system so that is option two.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-20, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 762 Votes on 715 Posts
If you intend to connect to the internal speaker..... you'll need to use a ground lift isolator/adapter. The speaker in the alarm panel is more than likely connected to panel common or ground. You cannot connect that to an amplifier directly as you will cause a ground short. The ground lift type use a transformer to connect to the speaker which offers 100% isolation from ground.

The adapter in the link is just one of hundreds. Any mobile audio shop, Best Buy, Crutchfield, etc. will have them. I've even seen them in Walmart. The two wires connect to the speaker and the RCA output goes to the amp.
Ground loop isolator.

A 1 to 1 audio transformer will also work.