Prewired Home but no actual system installed - looking to DIY

Old 05-28-20, 06:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prewired Home but no actual system installed - looking to DIY

Hi All!

We moved into a new house that was built in 2017 and it appears to have a prewired system but no actual system - meaning there appear to be wired window and door transmitters, wires ran for motion or glass break, and for 2 keypads. All of these wires run into the master closet and just have a simple wall plate covering it. I'm looking at installing myself the Honeywell Ademco Vista 20p With 6160 Keypad Version: 9.12 Alarm Kit that's available on Amazon.

I have a couple of questions for the group that I would love help on:
The window transmitters look to have a piece missing - at least from my perspective the other half is not installed (see pic). I'm not a professional but in our old house and what I've seen in the past, there are always 2 pieces to the transmitters. I'm asking because it's a newer house and there might be some new transmitter I'm not aware of and if they are indeed missing how can I get the other half without having to rewire or go wireless?

Also, and known issues with the Honeywell model listed above? I consider myself pretty tech-savvy and handy, but am I getting in over my head? Install videos I've seen seem fairly easy and I'm willing to put in the time.

Thank you all for your help and feedback!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-20, 07:32 AM
M
Received 135 Votes on 125 Posts
See the below
https://www.aartech.ca/vip88/flair-s...ads-white.html

I just Googled "flair vip88 windows sensors"

Open the windows and check that they have not mounted the magnet inside the window frame.
Looks like the magnet unit or a new sensor with magnet are cheap so you could get the sensor and just not use the magnetic switch.

Unless they are marked you will have to figure out what wires go where.

Old 05-28-20, 09:54 AM
R
Thank you! I'm trying to look in the frame but it's hard to tell if it's mounted in there. Good to know they are cheap!

Old 05-28-20, 11:11 AM
S
Check out alarmliquidators.com as well as Amazon. They have good prices on complete kits (keypads, panels, batteries, sirens, etc). With all the help you'll get on this site, as well as YouTube, you should be in-like-flint!

Old 05-28-20, 01:56 PM
R
Thanks sktn77a - I was not aware of that site.

Looks like I might need to order the magnet contacts for all the windows - I can't seem to see anything that resembles the magnet. Now I'm wondering if the doors are also missing their magnets too. So odd that they wouldn't have installed those - don't they always come together?

Old 05-28-20, 02:24 PM
M
Received 135 Votes on 125 Posts
Doors usually use a round magnet drilled and inserted into the door at the magnetic switch location.

Yes they usually come together.
Look in that master closet.

Old 05-29-20, 01:45 PM
R
Thanks, everyone! I've looked and looked and can't find them and the doors do not appear to have magnet drilled into the door. Thankfully they are not that expensive. I've ordered Honeywell Vista 20P with the 6160RF keypad. I noticed there is a CAT5 ran in the master closet so I think eventually I will add something like the EVL-4EZ Interface Module to be able to monitor remotely.

This should be fun - wish me luck, I'm sure I'll be posting on here often

Old 05-29-20, 01:53 PM
R
oh, one quick question. In the master closet, it's just a mass of wires (mostly 22/2 and a few 22/4) how do I test or know what wire goes to what sensor?

Old 05-29-20, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 837 Votes on 784 Posts
You can search for fox and hound tester or cable tracer or cable tracker. Installers carry several of them. I have a few different styles and strengths. I use mine at least once a week to locate wiring.

It's two pieces.
A transmitter with two wires that you clip on the wires. It transmits a warble sound into the wires.
A receiver that you just hold near the wires to locate the transmitted tone. You seem pretty handy so it shouldn't be too hard for you to use it.

This would be a basic unit...... Cable tracker
A preferred system..... Progressive 200EP & 77HP..... Tracer kit on eBay

Old 05-30-20, 12:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
It's very common for construction prewires to install the contacts, but not the magnets. The magnets tend to get dislodged during final painting/cleaning. A fair number of vendors sell the magnets without the contacts, but the price difference is so small that it's just as economical to just buy the full sets, and stash the switches for future replacements (they do wear out, with time).