Alarms keeps showing power loss, Need help

Old 08-22-20, 08:41 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alarms keeps showing power loss, Need help

I think I screwed up alarm programming. The alarm is a Interlogix Nx8E control panel and will maybe once or twice a day start beeping and provide a loss of power message (no alarms). The control panel is locked up for maybe 60 seconds and then I can clear with the user code. The power is good both AC and battery. I think this is a result of something I screwed up in the programming to add a M2M monitor. Ive backtracked and all looks good but its possible I made a change at an address I should not have. Any clue where I might look to fix this?

Old 08-22-20, 01:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
This sounds unlikely to be due to programming. This sounds like an intermittently loose connection of some sort.

What _exactly_ were you adding to the system?

Old 08-22-20, 03:39 PM
R
I tried to install a M2M monitor that would allow self monitoring using Version Cellular and from an app on my phone. It monitors the alarm using the phone line or Tip ring connections and reports out over cellular. The device will report openings, alarms and allow me to turn on or off the alarm. There was the physical install of course and a bit of programming of the NX8E. Ultimately I could not get it to work and have removed it completely and still had the loss of AC keypad beeping. I saw the AC as low as 15.5VAC. Maybe this was marginal to cause the fault alarm. This morning I backed out or returned some more M2M settings for all of them to the original and the AC is hanging in at 17.3VAC. I also turned off, i think, the pad beeping at loss of AC. The alarm will operate through this event when armed. I watch it for a while before I declare success. But it was installed in 2003 about 18 years ago so Im going to replace it with a modern QolSys since it can use the same Interlogix wireless sensors and I dont need to change any opening. Any experience with the QolSys?

Old 08-22-20, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
Not familiar with an M2M comm device.

A dial capture unit is not dual direction. It will allow your panel to transmit all codes but you can't control anything. You'd need to connect to the panels data line for two way communication.

If your AC voltage is lower than normal it would mean you are drawing more from the panel. You are limited in the amount of 12vdc aux power you can use.

Old 08-22-20, 04:01 PM
R
with the m2m you can turn on or off the alarm as well as monitor. The service is $9/ month. It well documented and described on the geoarm website.

Old 08-23-20, 11:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Looking at the specs: https://www.m2mservices.com/M2M/alarm-communicators

This would draw in the 15 mA average, but can peak at 200 mA. Which _should_ have been in the capacity for your system, unless you had a lot of other stuff also pulling off the system control. Given that the AC glitch went away when you disconnected it, _and_ that you couldn't get it to work, leads me to suspect that your M2M module was likely defective, given that they explicitly list NX as a compatibility.

Old 08-23-20, 11:58 AM
R
true. Making it even worse is that I had the M2M completely disconntecd when I had the AC and then the battery alarms. So doubly perplexing. I turned off the battery test in the panel. The low battery alarm happened about the same time last couple of mornings so Im guessing it has something to do with that test.

Old 08-24-20, 03:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally, these are fairly robust systems, but I have had one, in the past, that popped up with a "control overcurrent" trouble that would not clear, no matter what we disconnected. I came to the conclusion that it may be some form of memory buffer glitch.

Old 08-24-20, 06:46 PM
R
No pad beeping with DC Battery Low warning this morning after I turned of the battery test. This is an 18 year old panel and time to retire it. Im going to upgrade to a QOLsys panel primarily because I wont need to change the existing wireless sensors. I got the wired to wireless 16 relay adapter to try and reuse the outside sirens and also the inside verbal warning siren along with a couple heat sensors.

Old 08-24-20, 06:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
18 years is a good run for any piece of electronics that runs 24-7...

Old 08-25-20, 03:11 PM
R
I agree. I reticent to give up the Interlogix but the confidence of a new modern system, Qolsys, with self monitoring justifies it for me. The fact that Interlogix has left the business is another factor.
BTW 2 days and no Battery Low beeps on the keypad. I think turning of the battery test did the trick or at least bandaided the problem until I move onto a new alarm.

thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: