ELsafe hotel safe wiring.

Old 10-17-20, 07:23 AM
G
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
ELsafe hotel safe wiring.

XXXXXX Don't know how to otherwise delete a post...

Last edited by garyemunson; 10-17-20 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-20, 09:04 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't help you with this. But I think it borders on prohibited discussion topics on this forum. There are still many of these safes in use and if the information was freely available on this forum and fell into the hands of the wrong types....... well, you see my point.

Old 10-17-20, 10:39 AM
G
I removed my post as to not irritate anyone. Would like to point out that it wasn't about looking for a way to open a locked safe but a workable method to improve one that I already had control of to prevent a lockout since these are so ancient the likelihood of finding a locksmith with the service tool is probably nil. I got mine over 20 years ago from the contractor remodeling a hotel full of them that I was remodeling the elevators in and it wasn't new then. Absent any other ideas I'll probably go ahead with my repurposing of the service port to allow direct feeding of the lock motor through it and also arranging the wiring so that a "dummy" plug in the service port serves as a jumper to reinstate the normal connection between the controller and lock motor when inserted. This would have the added benefit of it being a "key" that would be required in addition to the four digit code. This setup would mean the more someone knew about these safes, the less likely they would be able to open it if the new "key" was not in place. Even if they had a service tool, the wiring would no longer exist between the socket and the control board input. The obvious assumption would be the controller had just failed and a brute force entry would have to be accomplished.

Old 10-17-20, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
There isn't much detailed information on that system. It's currently under ASSA ABLOY's rule. There were two ways of integrating with that system. A handheld programmer and a dongle type USB cord. The USB required proprietary software which is closely guarded. I haven't seen any of those handheld controllers floating around for sale.

Connecting to the motor and bringing that out for access sounds like a good idea.
Lot of videos on you tube discussing the "opening" of the safe.

Old 10-17-20, 11:29 AM
G
Looking at their website there is nothing about the "legacy" units that used a mini-DIN rather than the USB/phone jack connection. Having used the "newer" ones in hotels for the last 20+ years, even the operation of the keypads is different. I have to wonder if they didn't drop support for the old ones many years ago. Mine works fine, been using it with the code for ages. Just worried about it getting stuck locked if I get sloppy entering code or keeping up with the battery. The upside is that they seem to be a really bulletproof unit, both electronically and physically. Mine is very heavy steel construction that fastens to studs from the inside with 5/16 lag screws and you would do serious, noisy damage to the house getting it loose.

Old 10-17-20, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
No doubt they were well designed and were expected to be bulletproof.

Old 10-17-20, 04:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Would like to point out that it wasn't about looking for a way to open a locked safe but a workable method to improve one that I already had control of to prevent a lockout since these are so ancient the likelihood of finding a locksmith with the service tool is probably nil."

I understand. It's not the regular members of this forum that pose a risk, it's the great unwashed out there that troll the internet for ways of getting into mischief!