Need Compatible Home Security Components For Old Alarm Panel

Old 10-24-20, 02:52 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Compatible Home Security Components For Old Alarm Panel

Hello,

I am currently renovating a condo that I recently purchased and I'm in the process of changing out the telecom wall plates (with proper structured wiring), replacing the old thermostat with a smart thermostat, and have a question about an old security system that was installed when the condo was built around 2003.

I 'do not' plan on using the security system, but while I have the interior painted of my home, I want to replace the old 'yellowish' components (keypad, motion detector, and siren) after they finish patching holes and painting. If you look at the attached photos of the existing alarm panel and system components, are there any recommended components (keypad, motion detector, and siren) that will work with my system? I want to make these available to the next renter, or possible owner. All of these components have a hard wired connection back to the panel.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-24-20, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
What you have is an old (but still quite servicable) Vista10SE panel. This provides six hardwired zones (sensors), and another 16 wireless zones (sensors) including keyfobs for arming and disarming.

The keypad looks like a 6128, and can be replaced with a 6150 (fixed words) or 6160 (full text display).

The siren is pretty standard and you can get new ones (e.g. on eBay) for about $5; search for "Wave2 siren".

I didn't see the motion detector, but it's almost certainly something that can be replaced as well. It looks like all your zones (sensors) are wired, so most any device that provides "normally closed" outputs will work to replace what you have.

Old 10-24-20, 04:51 PM
G
Thanks so much... let me investigate and get back to you. I didn't include the sensor as it just seemed like a 'standard' one if that makes sense?

Old 10-25-20, 07:26 PM
G
Just following up with everyone on my post. Pricing out the equipment is as follows:

- Two Honeywell 6150s will cost about $100, or two Honeywell 6160s will about $150 (Amazon - however eBay has lower prices)
- Then for the Honeywell IS335 motion detector, it will be about $17 on Amazon
- Lastly, the WAVE2 siren from Amazon will be about $17 on Amazon

That being said, since this is a rather old system, and it will cost me between $135 and $185 (depending on which keypad) just to purchase modern parts, would it be cheaper to find a newer system (with the same type of components) which could also possibly have some sort of smart phone / internet integration? Maybe that is the idea of upgrading the panel to a Vista 20P?

Thanks again!

Old 10-26-20, 08:51 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You could certainly do that - the 20P should be compatible with all of your hardwired sensors (although it may not be compatible with any wireless sensors you have from 2003). The 20P has some additional features and options that might fit your needs. Check here:

https://www.alarmliquidators.com/vista-series/

Old 10-26-20, 11:42 AM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
1) There might be a slight problem with replacing the keypad(s) (which don't actually look that yellowed, but what the hey) with newer models:
Hard to be sure from your pics, but that keypad looks like it's flush-mounted. Meaning, the hole cut in the drywall to mount it is almost as big as the keypad itself. You _might_ be able to replace it with a 6150, but I don't know if the screw holes in the mounting plate will have enough drywall to secure it, and I can't remember the last time I had to replace a flush-mounted 6128 KP. A 6060 probably has a large enough mounting plate not to have a problem.

2) BEFORE you go replacing parts or changing anything in a system, you need to be sure it works properly in the first place. You don't want to have issues with new parts and not know if it's the new part, or something in the old system. If you don't already have a User Manual and an Installer manual, you should download one from Online.

It isn't unusual to move into a house and find issues with an existing alarm system. You said this system was installed in 2003, but how long have _you_ had it without using it? If that's the original battery in the Control Panel cabinet, OR if it's been unplugged for years, it's probably dead or close to it, and will need to be replaced before testing. A dead or very weak battery will give unpredictable results during testing. Or it may test fine and have erratic behavior (like false alarms) later.
Those batteries are available at any Batteries Plus or equivalent store.

3) To be clear about the number of zones available: Your Vista-10SE supports 16 wireless zones in addition to the 6 on-board zones, but those wireless zones (or keyfobs) have to be added via a 5881M RF Receiver + wireless sensor/transmitters.
Looking at your pics, it looks like you have 2 peripherals connected to your data lines, Terminals 4, 6, & 7 of your V-10SE Panel. If you have 2 Keypads, then you probably don't have a 5881 Receiver, only the 4 hardwired zone that seem to be connected to the Panel.

4) You mentioned a "sensor" which is vague--there are more than a few different sensor models, both recessed and surface-mounted. All of them have their own advantages and a few have quirks. If you have plunger or roller type sensors, I'd recommend replacing them with something better--those are prone to chronic failure. Pics would help.

5) If you decide to upgrade to a new panel, be aware that professional-grade alarm panels are not as user-friendly to upgrade as newer Smart Phones. You'll have to program it from scratch, which is considerably more complicated than setting your newest Smartphone up. Professional-grade alarm panels are made to be installed by pro's with experience and some of the programming isn't intuitive. Lots of DIYers do it, but just be prepared to work through a learning curve. There's no memory card to take out of the old panel and import to the new. And you will need at least one 6160 Alphanumeric Keypad along with patience and persistence.

6) Again: Check to be sure the existing system actually works, before replacing stuff. If some part seems not to be working, it's most often because of something _other_ than a failing part. A lot of people waste a lot of money by troubleshooting-by-replacing parts. Chances are, as simple as your system seems to be, that you need to replace your KPs only for cosmetic purposes.

7) I'd recommend buying off eBay, since you are concerned with the parts lasting 20 years.

Old 10-26-20, 09:16 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
Oops! Too late to edit, I noticed that in my final sentence I meant to say "...since you are NOT concerned with the parts lasting 20 years."

Old 11-03-20, 05:56 PM
G
sktn77a - thanks for this. It looks like the 20P offers 48 zones of protection, and expandable features like Z-Wave, cellular communication, graphic touchscreen keypads, etc.

ChosunOne - thanks for this detailed info! Just to reply to some of your comments:

- As far as the holes or drywall, it is not a big deal as it is all going to be patched and painted.
- Unfortunately I have thrown out all of the old components, so I won't be able to test and confirm if they are working.
- When I bought the condo, there were 2 keypads, 1 siren, and 1 motion detector in place - all wired. I assume we would stick with that (if / when we connect to a monitoring service) and maybe have a door and a couple of window sensors that would be wireless that I assume the 20P can handle?

Lastly, I actually plan to bring out an alarm company (after I vet them and provide my background) to do the install since I don't have time for the learning curve.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: