Water flow switch

Old 10-25-20, 08:11 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water flow switch

Hi all , this is my first post. Iím an electrician, I havenít done much work with alarm systems. My brother was upgrading his sprinkler system and found out that the 120 volt outside alarm bell was not working, when I checked it out I found water had gotten in and caused the bell to fail, his alarm tech said that the flow switch was not hooked up to DSC Power 832 pc5010 he ran a wire to the System Sensor WFDT and put a eol resistor on it, and I hooked up 120 volts to my side of the water flow. When I tested switch the outside bell would go on but not the inside although it did when the tech tested it the day before. My brother armed the system and we tested again and both alarms went off, weird. I talked to tech on phone and he said zone was on 24 hour zone 7 and was working fine the day before. He is coming next week to check it out. I was wondering if anyone heard of anything like this happening before. Thanks for any help you can give me. Thanks Ken.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-20, 10:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
Based on what's being described, I suspect that the zone isn't programmed as the zone type he _thinks_ it's programmed for. It it only goes into alarm when armed, then it's not set as a fire or other type of 24 hour zone.

Old 10-25-20, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,202 Votes on 1,112 Posts
You are describing a typical condo setup where the flow switch controls a 120v outside bell and has no connection to a customers alarm panel. Many associations don't allow connection to a customers alarm system.

Old 10-25-20, 11:29 AM
K
Thanks for the replies, there was another post here that you both responded to titled fire-sprinkler alarm wired to an outlet and that poster described the same set up that my brother originally had . This morning disconnected power and then battery, waited 15 minutes then hooked up battery then power and he says It was working like it should but when he tested the smoke alarms only the first one went off, not all of them. Thanks for the help. Ken

Old 10-25-20, 02:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
For the smoke alarms, are these 120V with battery backup smoke alarms, or are they alarm system connected smoke detectors? The answer is going to be different, depending on which.

Old 10-25-20, 07:23 PM
K
It turns out that the smokes are 120 volt, I think that the original hookup had the 120 volt red wire coming off the normally closed terminal of water flow switch going to the interconnect wire on the smoke heads and heat detectors which are from what I found out are 9 volts dc separate from the DSC Power 832 panel. I think the high voltage going through the smokes cooked the interconnect on the smokes. Thanks for the help, I,learned a lot from this site.