Anyone help with the vintage and maker?

Old 10-25-20, 08:58 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anyone help with the vintage and maker?

Putting a new Vista panel in an old farmhouse, and found all the door contacts hooked up to this type of wireless transmitter.

Any idea the manufacturer or vintage? So far my google fu is failing. Curious as an academic exercise only.

(The housing is about 1/4 inch shorter than a 5816 but about the same lengthxwidth. As you might be able to see here, there is one wired loop and apparently two reed switches. Sourcing a battery to see if it still transmits...)
Thanks
PS. Whatever panel was in this house is long gone so no clues from that perspective.

Last edited by amateuralarmguy; 10-25-20 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-20, 02:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,202 Votes on 1,112 Posts
That is an ITI (Interactive Technology Inc) transmitter.
It's used with the ITI Caretaker and Caretaker Plus alarm panels.
It uses a 1/2AA battery. (3.6v)
Vintage 1994.
I thought the part number was 60-362.

There is a newer version..... GE/Interlogix 60-362/N.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-26-20 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-26-20, 02:25 AM
C
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
That's an ITI brand (now GE) SX-V (pronounced "SX-Five" because ITI showed how classy they were by using Roman numerals in their nomenclature) type transmitter. That sensor+transmitter was used by 3 different ITI panel models that I was aware of: The best known was the SX-V (SX-5), and there was also the CareTaker (not to be confused with the later generation "Caretaker Plus") and the all-in-one (control-cum-keypad) RF Commander (not to be confused with the RF Commander II, or RF Commander III---pronounced "RF Commander 2 & 3, 'cause ITI was still using the classy Roman numerals in its nomenclature).

Anyway, if you had any thought of getting any use out of those transmitters, I'm afraid you're out of luck. They're at _least_ 27 years old (discontinued in 1993) and also have volatile memory: They had 3 settings to program IIRC, with a special proprietary hand-held programmer, and had volatile memory: when the battery went dead (or was removed more than a few minutes), the transmitter lost its programming and wouldn't work until it was re-programmed. I don't remember if it would transmit at all unless it was programmed. One of the programmable settings was the zone number ("port number"), so I doubt it.

The battery is a "1/2 AA", 3.6V lithium, but I suspect you'd be wasting your money to buy one.

You may be entertaining the idea of using a Resolution Products wireless transmitter translator, but this SX-V transmitter is from an earlier generation of wireless equipment and can't really be translated into modern formats. It only has 4 signals it sends to the Receiver/Control: (1) check-in/supervisory signal ("I'm here and working"), (2) tamper (cover off) signal, (3) fault (door/window open), and restore (door/window close). It wasn't until the next generation (circa 1994) that transmitters had low battery and tamper-restore signals. Resolution Products translators don't work for these transmitters.

Bottom line is that you aren't going to be able to use those transmitters. Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings.

EDIT: No, sorry, PJ, those transmitters were only used with the original Caretakers. The Caretaker Plus was the first panel in the Learn-Mode generation and not compatible with older transmitters.

EDIT#2: I sent you a PM.

Last edited by ChosunOne; 10-26-20 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-26-20, 01:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks to both of you. It's interesting to see how much has and hasn't changed in the "state of the art" of wireless contacts.

We're replacing (well, techincally installing new without salvaging anything except these transmitters) the panel with a Vista and will likely duplicate the installation method used here with 5816 wireless contacts.

My question about seeing if I could make these do anything was merely an exercise in learning and investigation. No plans to use them in the new system.

Old 10-26-20, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks.

Yes..... the transmitter I have sitting here in front of me is the next generation from the one shown and does work on the Caretaker Plus as that's where this one came from. It's a 55-503-J. (The one with the crappy tamper switch)

Old 10-26-20, 06:44 PM
C
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Those older SX-V generation tamper switches were crappy too, but in a different way. After many years of the cover not being opened, the switch tended to stick closed; and the tamper didn't trip when the cover was taken off. That in itself wouldn't have been much of a problem, except that our most frequent reason to open the cover was to replace a dead (not weak) battery, meaning that the transmitter had lost its volatile memory and needed to be re-programmed.
Trouble was, the geniuses at ITI had designed it so that the transmitter would only accept programming if the tamper switch was open. So sometimes I could spend longer tapping/whacking on the switch to get it to un-stick than all other time on the call.

I do not miss the SX-V generation.

Old 10-26-20, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
I do not miss the SX-V generation.
AMEN !

We're down to 5-6 Caretaker systems left in the field.