PC5010 doesn't detect zone faults in expansion module PC5108

Old 11-20-20, 05:31 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PC5010 doesn't detect zone faults in expansion module PC5108

I have an old DSC power832 alarm system - PC5010 - with the expansion module PC5108. It never worked well since we bought our house. In trying to fix it myself, I did a "hard" reset. So far it is working except that the faults for all of the zones from the expansion module (zones 9-16) don't show up on the keypad. I am a real neophyte. After the reset, I assigned all zone definitions, all zone attributes, and enrolled zones 9-16 into partition 1. Then, I enabled the supervision (section 902, 903). What am I missing?

All help is very much appreciated.

Last edited by Cindy Gilbert; 11-20-20 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-20, 07:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
Normally for wired zones, you don't need to do anything to zone attribute settings.

What keystrokes did you enter for configuration?

Old 11-20-20, 09:49 PM
C
Here Is my software sequence

After doing the reset, I entered the installer's mode - then entered zone definitions [001] plus the 2 digit definitions for zones 1-8. Next, I entered [002] for the definitions of zones 9-16. Next, I added zones 9-16 into partition 1 using [203] 12345678. Then, I set up the system to have normally closed switches [013] 7, and for now disabled the telephone line [015] 7. Finally, I entered the enable supervising mode [902] wait a little then [903]. Also, I do have to set the system clock. Everything looks good. When I look at the zone attributes - section [101] through [116], they look ok. My zones 1-8 are working, and none of my zones 9-16 are working.

I never get any response from the [902] section, but I wait for about a minute. When I enter [903], the numbers 1,9, and 10 are lit - I think that means that the keypad, and all 16 zones are supervised.

I hope that this helps.
Cindy

Old 11-21-20, 08:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Those are all of the right steps. If you have all of that set the way you describe, then it should work. At this point I'm wondering if you have a bad expansion board.

What were the previous issues that led you to try a default?

Old 11-21-20, 10:04 AM
C
I don't have a manual, and some of my switches were not working. Ever since we bought our house, it was always flakey. Because of the COVID, I decided to fix all it. I did buy another PC5108 board - and I could try to replace it.
Do you think that its the PC5108 and not the PC5010?

I will have to get back to you on that.

Old 11-21-20, 11:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
PC5010 user manual: https://www.dsc.com/manual/29002655
PC5010 installer manual: https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13802
PC5010 programming work sheets: https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13794ins
PC5108 installer manual: https://www.dsc.com/manual/29034634

Hmm, based on what you have described, have you checked to see if you might simply have failed contacts? Sometime (surprisingly often) they fail in closed condition, especially on seldom opened openings.

It's an easy test, if you take one of the zone wires loose, from the board, does the zone show open?

Old 11-21-20, 01:55 PM
C
Good News! I was able to switch out the PC5108 board and all of the zones are working - I think. I have a total of 15 zones, and the zone 15 LED was on. This was my original problem - it was always intermittent. This was why I couldn't sign onto a service. Currently I have 2 problems:
1. Some windows don't trigger a zone fault
2. Zone 15 is always triggering a zone fault

So, is there a way to test each of my switches. I think that I have Normally Closed Reed switches. Or, should I just replace every switch that is bad?

Again, thanks for your help.
Cindy

Old 11-21-20, 02:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A crude, but effective test for the ones that don't open, is to give the contact a sharp rap, or two, with the handle of a screwdriver. A good chunk of the time it will release the stuck reed switch. You should still replace it, long term, because once they start sticking like this, they are on borrowed time. If it doesn't open, then you may need to cut it loose to see if the zone opens. In any case, the long term fix is new contacts.

For the one that shows open, first verify that the matching magnet is both present, and aligned. If so, you can short the wires together at the contact, itself. If that closes the zone solidly, then replacing the contact should do the trick. If not, you may have bad wiring for that particular zone.

Old 11-21-20, 04:18 PM
C
Thanks for the tips for the closed circuits, I will try them tomorrow and get back to you.
As for the open one, I have checked the alignment of the magnets already. I guess that I will have to try shorting all of the switches (3 of them). That will take some time.

Again, thanks, and I will get back to you.

Old 11-21-20, 09:34 PM
C
I could not wait to work on the closed circuits. I mapped out and marked which switches were sticking closed. It turns out that only 6 switches needed tapping. Your suggestion worked on all of the switches. At some time in the future, I will replace those switches.

As for the open zone, with 4 windows, I intend to remove all of the switches and connect the wires. Hopefully, this will close the circuit, and help me locate the bad switch. If this fails, then I will be asking you for help to find the bad wiring. Due to the upcoming holiday, it may be a couple of weeks before I can work on this project. I will keep you up to date.
As I said before, this zone was always intermittent, and it was the reason I wanted to fix my security system.

Thank you very much for your help!

Old 11-22-20, 11:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Because installers often don't make it clear just how mechanically simple most typical hardwired alarm installs actually are, many DIYs fall into the trap of messing with programming, when what's needed is basic continuity testing...

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When replacing a PC5108 zone expander module on a DSC 5010 panel you have to set 2 sets of jumpers on the PC 5108 that need to be set for zones 9 thru 16. The first time I had to replace a PC 5108 on a PC 5010 after a lightning hit it drove me nuts until I re-read the instruction and found that the module needed 1 set of jumpers for zones 9 thru 12 and another set of jumpers for zones 13 thru 16 when using the PC 5108 on a pc 5010 panel.

Old Today, 07:54 PM
C
Thanks, I actually knew that. What took me forever to find on line was that I actually had to put zones 9-16 into partition 1. Older versions don't do that.
Currently, I am waiting for a switch to come in the mail. I think that will get it working - for the most part.

I do appreciate your help. I know that I still have a couple of more questions about how the alarm works.