Vista 21ip triggers alarm after extended power outage

Old 01-13-21, 12:23 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 21ip triggers alarm after extended power outage

The other day my power was out for 12 hours and when restored the alarm (which was armed on the backup battery and later died) was triggered by both motion detectors in the home (nobody was present). It's my understanding the DWP had turned the power on and off multiple times before restoring it properly.

I am assuming this caused a sort of small power surge. Would the condition above usually result in the alarm triggering at the exact moment upon AC power restoration? Could the lights turning on at the same moment cause this? Which sized battery would allow me to get 12+ hours of backup power (2 keypads, 2 zone expanders, siren + VAM)?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-21, 01:24 PM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Some motion detectors have "settle time" at power on, usually 30 seconds-1min and are "open" (like movement detected) during that period. I place my bet on that. Its unlikely that lights in house can trigger PIR motion detectors, however sudden change in temperature (if heating came on) can sometimes trigger it. I'm not familar with that particular panel but for example thats the reason why DSC panels ignore sensors for first 2 minutes after power on.

Old 01-13-21, 05:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
Power transients like that are pretty much guaranteed to make motions false, especially on a depleted battery. The best you can do would be to upgrade to 7 Ah or even 14ah (x2 7 Ah in parallel). Unless your system is really large (multiple keypads and add on boards), that will get you a pretty substantial battery backup capacity.

Ultimately, that kind of rapid power cycling is likely to throw a false trip, no matter what you do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: