Vista 20P forgot zones after flooding

Old 01-21-21, 03:08 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 20P forgot zones after flooding

Hey guys,

So the geniuses who built my home decided that the perfect spot for a security panel would be directly benwath a water softener drain. As luck would have it, the drain overflowed and saturated the panel with water.

After several days of letting it dry and replacing an existing envisalink board, it appears that the panel forgot all of the some numbers. The display panels will alert me when the system is ready/not ready but will no longer display the Zone number of the faulted zone. Furthermore, it will no longer take commands from the envisalink even though the system status is available for viewing. The system also remembers my code for arming and disarming the system but that's about it.

I'm looking for some advice on how I should proceed. Is it possible that the water just made the panel forget the zones but is still functional? Does it make sense to try to reprogram it? If so, why wouldn't it accept commands from the envisalink.

Or should I purchase a brand new vista 20p panel and start from scratch? Or is there a more modern day solution/opportunity to upgrade the panel to something else?

I will say that I only have the keypads that display numbers and not letters. Should I be replacing the keypads as well?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-21-21, 05:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
It's possible that the water damage trashed the EEPROM that holds the configuration info, or messed up the circuits that handle the keyboard data (most likely).

I'd put it at about 90% that the only real fix is going to be starting from scratch with a new board. If you have a 6160 keypad to do the programming, the actual number of things that need to be configured really isn't that large, unless you had zone expanders or the like.

Old 01-21-21, 09:01 PM
D
I understand. I was considering buying a new Vista 20P panel since it's cheap enough and I won't have to risk a malfunction down the line. That way I could keep the envisalink and then maybe just get a tuxedo touch keypad so that I have some Z-Wave capability.

Is this a poor investment? at the end of the day I need to monitor it service so that I can keep the discount on my homeowner's policy. Also are all of these keypads interchangeable? In other words am I able to take off my existing 6150 keypad and swap out with a tuxedo touch with the same wiring?

Thank you very much for the input.

Old 01-22-21, 12:32 AM
D
Are you telling me that there's a decent chance that I might be able to pop my existing eeprom into a new board and all will be back to normal?

Old 01-22-21, 03:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime someone says that a board has been hit with water (especially mineralized water) my advice is to not trust any component that comes off of the board. Start with a new board, you will spend less time chasing gremlins.

The 6150 keypad will work just fine, but you really _must_ have a 6160 keypad to program the new board (even a cheap, used, one off of something like Ebay will do for this purpose).
Assuming that your existing keypad isn't wireless receiver model, if you really want the touch screen device, go for it; but I would get the system working with the conventional keypad before putting the the touch screen on the system (you _can_ program with one of those, but they are very laggy).

Old 01-22-21, 04:10 AM
D
Currently I have 3 6150s connected but we do have wireless sensors for windows. Does this mean that at least one of these keypads is a 6150rf? Am I able to buy a regular 6160 to program from if I do have a 6150rf? Do the wireless sensors need to be programmed directly from the 6150rf in that case? There is no independent wireless receiver that I can find such as a 5881.

Old 01-22-21, 04:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you don't see a standalone wireless receiver, then one of your keypads is a RF model. Press 1 + 3 on each keypad. The regular ones will briefly display the keypad address (write that down for each), the RF keypad will go into user programming mode and display "dE". That's the RF keypad. Press * to exit.

All of the programming information is contained in the Vista main board, so you can replace either of the non-RF devices and keep the RF you have.

Old 01-23-21, 06:02 AM
D
Ok so they say 16, 17, and 18. That means there is a wireless receiver hidden somewhere else in the house?

Old 01-23-21, 06:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have wireless devices, then there has to be a receiver in the house. If it's not near the panel enclosure; then it may be tucked up high in a centrally located closet. Since they are little beige boxes, they blend in.

Old 01-23-21, 07:27 AM
D
Thanks for the input. So being that when I press 1 and 3 on each pad they display 16, 17, and 18. That means that all 3 of them are regular 6150s right?

Last edited by diynewb105; 01-23-21 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-23-21, 08:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, they are all 6150 keypads.

Looking at your photo, I can count at least 5 connections on your keypad bus, so yes, there are other things like a receiver, and possibly something else, in your house.

Truth be told, if it was my system, I would consider moving those connections down to a terminal strip. There's an upper limit on how many connections you can cram under those screws before possible connectivity issues become likely: https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-17...RoC15QQAvD_BwE

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: