Bhs3000a.5

Old 02-21-21, 07:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bhs3000a.5

Hey all,

Original Brinks system was installed in 2003. This week it stopped registering when doors or windows open. Then it just went out. Totally dead.
It is getting about 16.5 volts when I check it with a voltmeter. And the battery that is hooked to it shows about 13 volts when tested on the board. I imagine the power circuit is dead.

ADT tech says they canít fix those so we have to upgrade the system. I agreed so that will happen next week, but just for curiosity, does anyone know where I can find a schematic of the PCB? I canít find one anywhere.

Thanks,
greg

Old 02-21-21, 08:55 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
Unfortunately, no alarm manufacturer provides schematics for their panels, and Brinks is even more proprietary then most. Basically, Brinks locked in their customers because no one else could work with their Panels/Keypads.
Until a few years ago, you couldn't even (legally) get a programming manual or programmer for it, since they were proprietary too. Alarm control panels aren't considered repairable in the field, so even non-proprietary brands like Honeywell don't have schematics available, just wiring diagrams that show where various wires (AC, Battery, zone loops, phone, etc) are connected, and where fuses, if any, are.

16.5 VAC actually sounds a little low for the transformer meter reading. It's rated at 16.5VAC, but in practice will usually read a little higher, at least 17-18 V; unless something is really drawing on the power, in which case the transformer would be really hot after awhile. 13 VDC is a normal reading for the battery, so apparently the transformer is keeping the power circuit of the board going.

I assume you've checked for obvious things like a blown fuse or toasted component on the PCB? It's also possible that the problem is in the keypad rather than the Control Panel, but Ae-Dee-Tee (a.k.a. Big Blue) isn't going to support trying to troubleshoot and fix an old system like that. Some smaller local company might.

It might be worthwhile to ask Ae-Dee-Tee the model numbers of the new Control Panel & Keypad(s) they're going to use for replacement. They don't make their own equipment, and put their own model numbers on major manufacturers they buy from. It might be worth your while to have a Panel & Keypad that doesn't lock you into your alarm company even though you may own the equipment, or if you ever want to do some DIY work yourself.

Old 02-22-21, 04:44 AM
M
Thanks. The voltage coming from the transformer is more like 17 and change. I couldnít remember when I posted the original post so I just said ďabout 16.5Ē - but it seemed fine when I checked.. I looked at the board as best I could but didnít see anything blown - but itís hard to see. Thatís why I wanted to look at the schematics. Bummer that none are out there, but I appreciate the the reply. Guess I can stop looking for it now.

we have 2 keypads and both are dead. Since they are both dead I think the problem has to be in the board, or it would be really coincidental.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-21, 09:49 AM
T
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Working on alarm systems is much like playing detective and detectives are extremely wary of coincidences.

Old 02-22-21, 10:01 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Any reason you're sticking with ADT? They tend to be somewhat customer unfriendly!

ChosunOne voted this post useful.
Old 02-22-21, 10:44 AM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
"Any reason you're sticking with ADT? They tend to be somewhat customer unfriendly!"

Thanks for saying that, sktn77a. I was thinking it but I don't like to badmouth specific companies in an open forum and risk getting their ire up if they happen to notice. There's a reason I usually refer to them as "Big Blue" or "Ae-Dee-Tee" when I refer to them. You can never tell when the forum may need them for a sponsor.

Since you've brought the subject up, I will just say that they are a franchise rather than strictly a large multinational company with many branches (which was what, e.g., Honeywell Security Services used to be, before they gave up on their Home Security Division (or whatever they called it).

Anyway, the point is that Ae-Dee-Tee has a very successful business model, much like McDonald's business model, and that's why they have so many customers that think, "If they're the world's biggest chain, then they must be good."
To that point, I'd like to point out that McDonald's is the world's biggest restaurant chain. I have nothing against McD's ( I use them a lot when I'm on the road and one of my favorites isn't' convenient), but---when I'm looking for fine cuisine, I don't think of Micky D's.

In a nutshell, ADT is the McDonald's of the alarm industry. When asked for a recommendation for a good alarm company, I steer potential customers away from multinational companies, who tend to get new business from large-scale advertising. I know a couple of small local companies that I know do good work and get new business from satisfied customers' word-of-mouth. And they don't use equipment that places a Vendor Lock-In on their customers.

Old 02-22-21, 04:50 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks, ChosunOne. I understand your position. To be specific, they have a habit of locking an owner out of the system and being uncooperative when asked to unlock them. If you're renting/leasing equipment, that's fair enough, but when you buy the equipment and own it, and they lock you out of it, that's how I define "customer unfriendly"! Not badmouthing, just telling the truth. In all fairness, ADT is not the only organization to do this, and some of their franchises may not, so my point is for the OP to get in writing that whoever replaces the system will unlock it on request (or better still, use installer/master codes of the owners choosing).

Old 02-22-21, 06:43 PM
M
All good points. I need to do some more research to see what other options are out there. We've just always had them. I suppose since the system needs to be updated anyway, now is as good a time as any to look for other options. I'm not particularly fancy - not looking for home automation or anything like that. SInce the house is wired I would rather use the wired contacts as opposed to going wireless. I'll have to see what is around here.

Thanks all,

Greg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: