DSC status module

Old 02-24-21, 12:40 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
DSC status module

Hi
I have a dsc 1616 PK 5508. Recently no power and system died. Battery also old. And smoke alarms went off to complicate matters. When power back I reset all the alarms. Installed new battery and now system arms and disarms ok. BUT the status module (that light outside on the garage with an LED that can be green amber or red) blinks amber when disarmed (solid red if armed). And when I press *2 on the control panel I get no numbers, only the yellow triangle comes. After pressing # the yellow triangle disappears and the green arrow check comes up. But the status module keeps flashing amber.
Any suggestions? I tried
a. Arming and disarming several times
b. pressing the resetting key for several seconds
c. * 72
Would appreciate your ideas.
thanks!!

Old 02-24-21, 03:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
If the module you have is this one: https://www.dsc.com/alarm-security-p...us%20Module/46

Those modules simply tie into the keypad connections. The only thing I can think to suggest, is to power the system down, then start it back up. If that doesn't get the device back to normal, you may have to replace the module.

JRMizzou voted this post useful.
Old 02-24-21, 11:54 PM
K
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
These modules rarely go bad. That module is now in "Alarm occured" state and waits for "System disarmed, alarm occured while armed" status.

I'll bet everything will work as it should after you arm the system, trip the alarm and then disarm. Notify monitoring station if monitored.

Old 02-25-21, 03:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's showing alarm memory, you jus have to arm and disarm. If you trip another alarm, it just goes back to alarm memory mode.

Old 02-25-21, 05:41 PM
J
I did. Power down. Reboot. battery off. Restart.
Then I input date again.
Status module keeps flashing amber

Old 02-25-21, 05:46 PM
J
Tripped the alarm. Signal went off well.
Then cleared off all the codes
Still status module flashing amber.
If I hit on the panel *2 then only thing I get is the yellow triangle flashing (no codes) and goes back to green check arrow when I press the #.
If i do the *3 I get the red i button. The memory button lights up. and that it.
What else should I try?
And yes. I have that kind of module. A simple LED light on the center. Outside on the garage side.
But the PK5808 panel signals the triangle and the alarm memory. Seems that there is something going on.

So far the alarm arms and disarms ok.
Just that amber light flashing on the status module when disarmed ( and the yellow triangle if pressed *2 and the red 'i" if pressed *3)

Old 02-25-21, 06:00 PM
K
If it's showing alarm memory, you jus have to arm and disarm. If you trip another alarm, it just goes back to alarm memory mode.
I thought that module was especially looking for "System disarmed, alarm occured while armed" status message to return from flashing amber to green. And that module was somehow put into alarm mode by power loss (or when smoke detectors tripped - did author reset smoke detectors?). That flashing amber light will indicate even after bell cutoff and programmed swinger shutdown time, that's why I though only disarming after alarm occured while armed will restore it back to normal state.

(and the yellow triangle if pressed *2 and the red 'i" if pressed *3)
That's normal behaviour of DSC LED keypads, to visually show that you're in trouble menu or alarm memory menu.

Old 02-25-21, 06:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
User manual page 8: https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=24147

If you are still showing an alarm in memory (press *3 to display), simply arm, then disarm, and it should clear the condition. If it doesn't, then the only thing remaining is something has tweaked that display module, and all you can do is replace it.

Old 02-25-21, 06:50 PM
J
OK
So, its normal that:
if *2 --> yellow triangle
If *3 --> red "i" button
with no codes.
Rt?

If no codes coming out and alarm arming and disarming Ok, THEN status module faulty and next step to replace?
OR is there a way to trouble shoot it? I mean, take it out and look at the wiring and lights in it?
Thanks!!!

Old 02-25-21, 08:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you look at the installation instructions, you can see that there's really not much to this thing: https://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=17318

You could try disconnecting it and reconnecting it, but there's literally no programming, configuration, or user serviceable components.

Old 02-26-21, 01:41 AM
K
So, its normal that:
if *2 --> yellow triangle
If *3 --> red "i" button
with no codes.
Rt?
Yes, it is normal. That shows that you're in menu, and no codes displayed means no alarms in memory / no troubles.

Old 02-26-21, 04:17 AM
J
I looked at the wiring of that status panel and you are right. It seems pretty simple. Apparently the signal comes from the PK5808 panel. Wonder if putting another panel with kinda the same wires would get the same signals and provide the same output: amber light when not armed.
Well, thanks for the info. Very helpful. If you guys can think of any other idea that I should try please let me know.
thanks again!!

Old 02-26-21, 10:01 AM
J
I examined the status module and removed the PK5808 panel.
Interestingly i found and EV-Rec1 behind the panel stuck between the drywall panels within then glass fiber insulation.
Could this be the part that is bad? Anyway I can troubleshoot this part?
Should i find the remote and check if that is the problem?

Old 02-26-21, 10:38 AM
J
Its Fixed!!
I read on a post that some LED blink when FOB battery low. Anyway, I found the FOB and activated alarm through it. Seems that the remote and receiver re-established connection, or FOB battery started working better after using it and now status module panel not blinking.
Thanks guys.
Hope this post helps other people!!

KriKon voted this post useful.
Old 02-26-21, 11:29 AM
T
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
THANKS FOR POSTING YOUR RESOLUTION. It just might answer someone else's question in the future!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: