Napco Gemini GEM-RP8 Beeps Every Night at 7PM

Old 02-24-21, 07:22 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Napco Gemini GEM-RP8 Beeps Every Night at 7PM

Recently I cut and removed a few telephone wires in my basement because we do not have a landline and it looked like it was from the 1950s. Ever since then, my alarm beeps every night at 7PM until I hit reset on the touch panel.

when I hit Function + 4 to run a test, it comes back codes 3 and 4. 3 is no communication to central station and 4 is telephone line cut.

is there a way to clear these errors so that it stops trying to communicate to the central station every 24 hours and beeping? I do not pay monthly for service, I just like the chimes when a door or window is open.

Old 02-25-21, 03:23 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
I have a different Napco model, but, if the beeping started only after you cut the phone line, and not after you cancelled Central Station Monitoring, your alarm is programmed to detect (ie check) the phone line on a daily basis. Does your keypad list any error codes? It would be something like a Telco Line failure.

Old 02-25-21, 06:27 AM
S
Received 16 Upvotes on 16 Posts
Did it beep after the landline was disconnected but before the wires were cut? Cutting the wires may have shorted a couple of conductors in the phone line.

Old 02-25-21, 07:30 AM
T
Received 195 Upvotes on 171 Posts
You have encountered the Law of Unintended Consequences. Powering the panel down and restarting it will clear the troubles, but they will return withing 24 hours.
The panel needs to be reprogrammed to remove ALL reporting and turn off phone line monitoring but we need to know which panel you have. Open the panel and there should be a label inside the door showing the model number.

Matt McCullough voted this post useful.
Old 03-01-21, 05:09 AM
M
It reports error codes 3 and 4. 3 is “Communication Failure” and 4 is “Telephone Line Cut”.

Thanks ThisOldMan, it sounds like you are on the right track. The model number inside the door is GEM-P801 181228

Old 03-01-21, 12:03 PM
T
After a quick review, here is what I think you'll need:
Installation Manual
Programming Instructions

NOTE: If you do not have a PDF reader on your computer, I suggest you install one. Some browsers may not display everything in some PDFs.

Get very familiar with the procedures and terms on pages 1 thru 3 of the Programming Instructions. Then make the following changes,

15 000
34 thru 39 All OFF
45-1 OFF
46-4 OFF
54 thr3 59 All OFF

Old 03-01-21, 06:31 PM
M
Ok I went through everything you sent and turned it off but when I get out of "Dealer Program Mode" and run a test (Function + 4) It is still reporting 3 and 4 just like before. Is this normal? Did I not do it right or do I have to wait 24 hours?

Old 03-02-21, 02:55 PM
J
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
I didn't confirm Old Mans programming instruction however if everything he told you to do was correct Now I would suggest that you remove power from the system for a few minutes and then see if the telephone fail comes back again when you power it up.

Old 03-02-21, 04:10 PM
T
I agree with Jimmiee; restart the panel. Entering Dealer Programming usually clears everything in memory. Except on this panel???

Old 03-03-21, 05:38 AM
M
How do I restart the panel? I tried every fuse but that didn't do it.

Old 03-03-21, 06:34 AM
M
The beeping is back but now at 9:30AM instead of 7PM. I am hoping a restart of the panel fixes it but I don't know how to do that. I removed the positive and negative from the 12 volt battery and flipped every fuse switch but that didn't seem to help. Also, I went back into Dealer Program Mode and the changes ThisOldMan told me to make are still applied:

15 000
34 thru 39 All OFF
45-1 OFF
46-4 OFF
54 thr3 59 All OFF

Old 03-03-21, 09:55 AM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
Matt, although flipping a circuit breaker is definitely easier than unplugging the Panel's transformer, sometimes you just have to find the P-801's power transformer and unplug it to be sure you've killed its AC power. With the transformer unplugged and one wire off the 12V battery, it will definitely restart when powered back up: Transformer first, then battery.

If you have trouble finding your Panel's transformer, keep looking. It's plugged into an outlet somewhere, and you should know where it is, even aside from the current problem. The outlet used is *usually* near the control panel, but I've seen them installed in different rooms, even different floors, for reasons that I'm sure made sense to the installer at the time of installation. I've even seen an outlet hidden when a cabinet was built around it during renovation. But trust me, the transformer is plugged into an outlet there somewhere.

Old 03-03-21, 10:05 AM
J
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
To Remove all power.
:The simple way:
Pull the transformer out of the AC outlet and remove one lead from the battery. Let the unit sit for a few minutes. then - - - - - - put the transformer back in the outlet and very quickly reattach the lead to the battery.
::
NOTE: if you can't get to the transformer, do this.
:
The more difficult way:
Remove one lead from the battery. Then - - - - very carefully remove the wire from terminal # one on the circuit board. Being very careful to not let the bare end of the wire touch anything. It's not dangerous it's only 12 volts DC. However, it you let the bare end of the wire touch something you will blow out the plug in power transformer or blow a component on the board.
:
To put the wire back , unscrew the terminal screw a few more time. Twist the end of the wire and very carefully insert the wire back under the screw and tighten the screw. Quickly replace the wire on the battery. If you don't put the wire back on the battery quick enough you will get a low battery alert and then have to learn how to clear a low battery alert.
:
BE CAREFUL Follow these instructions. Do not touch the wire to anything but the screw terminal..

Old 03-03-21, 10:32 AM
M
HOLY ****! I think that did it. I will know for sure tomorrow at 9:30AM or 7PM but the triangle system trouble light on the touch panel is now gone. Thanks everyone for your help. You all helped save me some money and frustration. The alarm company that installed this is "Busy till June" so I am glad I was able to tackle this for free with your help.

PS I always wondered what that random plug that's screwed into the outlet cover was LOL. Its in the next room!

Old 03-03-21, 01:18 PM
T
The 24-hour timer used for sending test signals and re-sending unrestored troubles is restarted when the panel is re-powered. If you don't get a trouble within 24 hours of the restart, you are home free.

I spent many hours of my working years searching for plug-in transformers. Next room, next floor, attic, even under the house (that one got moved!). I remember the hardest ones to find being on middle-of-the-night service calls (like childbirth?).

For that reason, the transformer location was written inside the panel; first transgression got you written up and the second got you booted out the door.

Don't forget to post your final resolution.

Old 05-22-21, 01:26 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink Disable communication

You should not have to change all the settings. If you simply change location 32 to 0, that will disable your phone and therefore it will not check for line or dial tone...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: