Prewired cameras during construction

Old 03-08-21, 10:18 AM
P
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Prewired cameras during construction

Question, i pre-wired an under-construction house with CAT5 for a camera install, and now the home owner wants the NVR installed in a different location. A few of the cameras have enough slack in the cable to get to the new location, but a couple won't. Instead of pulling all new cable, which may even be impossible, can I not just hook those 2 cameras that won't reach into a switch where the cable ends(currently an equipment room) and then run cable from there into the bedroom where they now want the NVR installed?
Thanks for any help.

Popular Reply

03-08-21, 05:40 PM
amateuralarmguy
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Not familiar with the particular cameras, but assume 3-4Mbps for each camera, with overhead you can safely put around 20-24 cameras on a single fast (i.e. 100Mbps) ethernet link; so, if you have all the cables terminated in a central location, one run to the NVR with a PoE switch to service the cameras, you should be good to go.

I'd even go so far as to just keep the camera cables terminated there and run a single cable to where they want the NVR.

Old 03-08-21, 12:11 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That should work (although it may depend on the specific camera and NVR). Are you using POE?

Old 03-08-21, 01:14 PM
P
Yes, i'm using POE. The cameras and NVR are Dahua N444E42S

Old 03-08-21, 05:16 PM
S
Not familiar with that system. It should work if the single cable connection from the switch is compatible with the NVR camera ports (as opposed to the RJ45 ports on a DHCP server). Maybe one of the experts on this forum has a better knowledge of these systems.

Old 03-08-21, 05:40 PM
Not familiar with the particular cameras, but assume 3-4Mbps for each camera, with overhead you can safely put around 20-24 cameras on a single fast (i.e. 100Mbps) ethernet link; so, if you have all the cables terminated in a central location, one run to the NVR with a PoE switch to service the cameras, you should be good to go.

I'd even go so far as to just keep the camera cables terminated there and run a single cable to where they want the NVR.

PJmax, Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 03-08-21, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
That makes good sense.

That doesn't appear to be a POE NVR so bringing the cameras to it would require an additional switch anyway. Actually they mention individual power supplies and it looks like the NVR does have POE power.

N444E42S system specs

Old 03-09-21, 12:22 PM
P
Yes, it's a POE NVR. Lots of good advice in this thread. Thanks so much, guys! One more question, since i've never used a POE switch. If I connect all of the cables at the current termination point to a POE switch and run a single cable from there to the NVR, which terminal on the NVR would I connect to? Would i install another switch at that end and have four ethernet cables coming out of the 2nd switch into the 4 channels of the NVR?

Old 03-09-21, 02:07 PM
S
For normal networked devices, the single cable from the switch to the router would suffice but I'm not sure how that works with the Dahua NVR(?)

Old 03-09-21, 03:52 PM
No experience with that particular NVR but that being said, typically the interface on an NVR is essentially a fast ethernet/gigabit ethernet switch, so plugging into any port should work.

Old 03-10-21, 05:57 AM
P
Ok, so I just need one ethernet cable from the switch to the router and then ethernet from the router to the NVR and leave the POE ports on the NVR empty, correct?

Old 03-10-21, 09:28 AM
T
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
I'm another one that's not familiar with this system, however ...

It depends on the NVR. If you can't assign addresses to the cameras, then the cameras will need to go the the camera ports on the NVR.

Old 03-15-21, 01:26 PM
P
@ThisOldMan Interesting. I'm not sure if you can assign IP addresses or not, since i normally just plug the cameras into the NVR directly. That's a bit of a fly in the ointment...

Old 03-15-21, 03:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
With the specs on the datasheet describing the NVR as a 4 channel unit, I strongly suspect that you don't have the option of piping the cameras in over a shared switch feed; and will need to bring an individual cable to the head end for each camera.

Old 03-23-21, 06:28 AM
P
@MrRonFl thanks for the heads up! The customer actually has decided on an 8 channel Lorex NVR system in case he wants to add to it later. I'm not a big Lorex fan because of their terrible customer service, but it is what it is...

Old 04-01-21, 12:25 PM
P
So turns out, this will be the system i'm installing: https://www.lorextechnology.com/4k-i.../N4K2-84BB-1-p

Can someone give me the basics on how i would run this through a switch(assuming it's possible?) I'm assuming that's what this is referring to?https://help.lorextechnology.com/lin...ng-cameras-LAN
I have 4 cameras with CAT5 running to the equipment closet where the router is also located. I already have one CAT5 run from that location into the bedroom approx 20 ft away where the NVR will be. Do I just terminate the 4 cameras in the closet into a POE switch and then the single CAT5 run to the NVR go into the LAN port? Sorry that i'm so confused about this...
Also, i see that POE switches vary greatly in price. Looks like I can get an "unmanaged" 4 port for around $40. Would that be fine?

Old 04-01-21, 03:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
This model will allow you to do this. See the instructions on page 9 of the system manual: https://www.lorextechnology.com/down...NUAL_EN_R2.pdf

Old 04-05-21, 07:57 AM
P
Thanks Ron! Looks like exactly what i need. Is it really that simple as what "option A" says? Doesn't look there's any special configuration necessary, which is what i was a little nervous about.

Old 04-16-21, 01:25 PM
P
Just to update, the recommendations in this thread worked great and everything went very well!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: