Adt home security system

Old 04-17-21, 12:33 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adt home security system

I have used ADT home security for over 7 years. I'm planning to cancel the service, yet thinking about using the existing equipment as a local alarm system without the monitoring service. I have attached a photo of my wiring board located in the basement. I watched some videos and learned that the ports "Ring" and "Tip" are for phone lines connected to monitoring services. So in this case, to do what I just mentioned, my unstanding is that I just need to unplug/disconnect the red and green wires here. Is that correct? Also what is the function of the box next to the control/wiring board? Your comments and ideas would be much appreciated.

Old 04-18-21, 01:44 AM
T
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
From your pictures it is apparent the system is not using a telephone land-line for communications. Although I"m not familiar with the device on the right, it appears to be a cellular interface. While disconnecting Tip and Ring will almost certainly interrupt communications between the devices, I would expect some sort of Communications Trouble from the panel. The only way to get rid of such a trouble would be changing programming in the panel.

Others may have experience with the interface and panel programming and should be along in a day or two. Spring weekends can be slow on a forum.

Old 04-18-21, 07:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 127 Votes on 118 Posts
Your system is a ADT branded DSC PC-1864, so it's a relatively recent model.

https://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=17007

Not sure what model cell dialer you have under that ADT shell housing, but if they used the typical installer password (which we can't post here because ADT fusses if we do). But, if you do a web search with the phrase "ADT installer code" you will find numerous sites and threads where is is posted.

If they used that code, it should be pretty easy to walk you through disabling the communicator and disconnecting the cellular unit.

Old 04-18-21, 12:51 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yep, the icons by the LED lights on the box (cell phone and two antennas) give it away. Can you open the box easily and take a picture of the contents?

Old 04-19-21, 05:03 PM
W
Thank you all for your replies. I opened the ADT box next to the control panel. Below is a photo of it. We don't have landline phone anymore, but use an internet phone service. It is not clear to me how the system communications with the ADT monitoring center. Through cellular calls by this unit?

Old 04-19-21, 05:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's essentially a dedicated cellular communicator that emulates a phone line and retransmits the alarm signals via a subnetwork of the cellular spectrum.

As such, disconnecting it from power and unplugging the backup battery will shut it down. In order to prevent the alarm from going into "failure to communicate" trouble, you will need to get into the system programming and disable the alarm control's internal dialer.

Old 04-19-21, 06:06 PM
W
Hi MrRonFL, thanks so much. So in order to disable the Communicator I will need to reprogramm the system. Like you mentioned earlier, I need to use the Installer Code (e.g. 5555) to get in. Assuming I can get this code, can you share your experience and walk me through how to do this? Thanks again.

Old 04-20-21, 02:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Turning off communicator
*8 [installer code]
turn OFF option 1 by pressing the [1] key
Press # until you exit programming

That _should_ do the trick. Normally, they don't turn on the telephone line monitor feature for these kind of cellular connections.

Old 04-20-21, 03:59 AM
W
Thanks so much. I have called ADT. My monitoring service will be canceled effective mid of May. I will try the trick a few day before that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: