Delete zone monitoring for DSC Power832 with LCD5501z and PC5508 keypad

Old 05-17-21, 04:03 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Delete zone monitoring for DSC Power832 with LCD5501z and PC5508 keypad

I have an old security system that is not monitored by an alarm company, but I would like to use it as a safety feature for my home. I replaced the battery and used this forum to learn how to disable TLM, but I am still having an issue. I want to be able to arm the system at night or when we are away, but we have an open zone and the ready light will not engage into that zone is closed. The zone is a glassbreak monitor that is not functioning and I would like to bypass or disable that zone, so that I can arm the system. Is there an easy fix from the keypad to permanently close that zone? I have 2 keypads (PC5508z and LCD5501Z) the panel is DSC power 832.
I appreciate any advice! Thank you in advance!

Old 05-17-21, 04:26 PM
K
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums!
The easiest way to disable a zone is to remove it from partition in section 202 (assuming faulty zone is in range 1-8 and on partition 1?)
So, enter installer programming (*8, installer_code, section 202, turn OFF the zone light on which is faulty zone located).
The other options are physically closing the zone with resistor on central panel or changing definitions for all 8 zones (which I don't recommend as you can screw zone attributes/definitions for other zones, that's why I said the easiest is to just remove the zone from partition).

Old 05-17-21, 06:48 PM
E
Thank you for your quick response. I am not sure that I understand how to do that. I have entered *8 +installer code, then I type in 202 and then I am not sure how to know whether I am turning off the zone. Do I just type in the number 7?
This is what happens:
keypad at rest and 7 is lit up on keypad
*8 (7 disappears) +installer code (7 re-appears for a second and then disappears)
202 (remains disappeared)
7 (keypad beeps and 7 reappears)

Any ideas?

Old 05-18-21, 02:45 AM
K
When you enter into section 202, for partition 1 assigning zones 1-8, you should see zones/options 1 to 8 lit on.
Just turn zone/option 7 off, so it doesn't lit anymore, by pressing key 7. Exit with # # and system should be ready.

Old 05-18-21, 02:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 138 Votes on 127 Posts
The simple and easy way would be to replace the zone wires on the main system board terminal strip for your bad zone with a 5.6K ohm resistor (green, blue, red on first 3 stripes). That way, if you fix the faulty device, you can just hook it back up.

Old 05-18-21, 04:19 PM
E
Thank you, both, for your help! I tried the programming code multiple times from both keypads (always powering down in between) without luck. Nothing ever changed. Finally, I used the resistor and powered the system down, then back up. When it powered up, the ready light was on and everything seemed to be working, as expected. About 5 seconds later, the zone light returned and the ready light turned off. I was, however, able to bypass that zone and arm the system with the bypass feature on the keypad.
After arming the system and testing it, the trouble light returned and is showing trouble code 4. I thought I had resolved that issue, but it is back. It used to show code 3 and 4, so maybe that is good news...?
any ideas on how to resolve and turn the communications function OFF? The keypad wakes us up in the night, every night with the constant "double beep" until someone gets up and acknowledges the trouble code.
I have entered every program sequence that I have read without luck. Any ideas on how to fix the issue from the wiring panel? Or ideas on troubleshooting the programming code?

Old 05-18-21, 04:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
*8 [installer code]
Press 1 to turn OFF option 1 to disable the communicator.
press # until you exit programming.
You will have to power cycle to clear the communicator trouble.

If the zone was showing open with a resistor between the zone terminal and common, your system may have been set to use NC zones without the resistor (a common installation with DSC panels). If you don't see resistors on any of the other inputs, try just using a wire jumper to close the zone input.

Old 05-18-21, 04:40 PM
K
I don't know why section 202 wasn't working for you. Every version of PC5010 panel have zones 1-8 assignment to partiton 1 in that section and I've used it dozen of times to easily disable failed zone, or to temporaily disable tamper zone when opening the panel box. The only reason might be that zone 7 is assigned to partiton 2, or that you mistyped something. What zone leds was light on when you enter section 202 from PC5508 keypad?

Whatever, but if you closed the zone on central panel with 5.6k omh resistor and zone still shows open, then system uses standard NC loops. Remove the resistor and connect a wire between Z7 and Com. It should be off now and system ready.

For troubles, trouble 3 means no phone line and trouble 4 means failure to communicate.
To turn off communicator and telephone line monitoring:
*8, installer_code, section 015, turn option 7 off, # # to exit.
*8, installer_code, section 380, turn option 1 off, # # to exit.
Power cycle the panel to resolve trouble 4 (failure to communicate).

EDIT: MrRonFL was faster... And he forget turning option 7 in section 015, which is for monitoring telephone line presence/failure after xx minutes if there are no telephone line detected.

Old 05-18-21, 06:55 PM
E
I'm starting to wonder if I am using the correct installer code. Is there a way to test whether that code is correct or incorrect? In section 202, none of the LEDs are lit up.

I have been using 5555 as the installer code, since it is the usual default and it was written in as an additional access code in the instruction manual.

Old 05-18-21, 08:36 PM
K
I've read before for dummy installer codes, which will let you in installer programming but wouldn't allow to enter any of the programming sections. You won't be able to disable TLM, or communicator without a real installer code.
It's strange that you dont get anything in section 202. Do you get anything in section 206 (zone 1-8 assignment for partition 2)? Anything in section 201 (enabled partitions)? Anything in section 013, 014, 015..(system options)? If you do, then you have the correct installer code. And yes, 5555 is default installer code for PC5010 v3.2 and up. PC5010 V2.0 have default installer code 5010.

Old 05-19-21, 05:45 AM
E
I think I have version 2.0. I will have to check later today.
I will update when I try it. Thanks!!

Old 05-19-21, 06:41 AM
K
Some older versions of PC5010 doesn't have version written on main chip, but they have written 06000464 for V1.0 and 06000666 for v2.0. Also, v1.0 uses 40pin chip while v2.0 uses smaller 28pin chip. Just saying in case you was confused which version do you have. V3.2 have 28pin chip aswell but they also have written V320 or something similar. Your installer code can be changed to whatever you like/want, so it's possible that you have v2.0 and 5555 for installer code.

Old 05-19-21, 02:30 PM
E
The instruction manual says v 2.0, so I assume that is correct.
I get nothing when attempt to enter the other sections that you mentioned. 206, 013, 014, etc. I must not have the correct code. What would happen if I did a factory reset? Would I have to reprogram all of the sensors, zones, keypads, test cycle, exit/entry door and time allowance? Or would it just reset the codes?

Old 05-19-21, 02:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you didn't get a quick series of beeps, and the program light flashes, then you likely don't have a valid installer code.

If you default the system, you will have to re program all of the zone zonfigurations, and other basic settings. The keypad info would stay the same, because those have their own default command. When you power up the system, do you hear rapid clicks from the telephone relay? If so, the installer used the installer lockout feature, which means you are basically stuck, because everything _except_ the installer code will default.

Old 05-20-21, 02:31 PM
E
I have a call in to the original company that installed the system (20 years ago). We will see if they call back...and if they know the installer code...and if are willing to share it with me. If not, I may try the system reset. I don't notice a series of clicks when powering the system up.
I am confused by something, though. We have lived in this house for about 10 years and always had the faulty zone, but were able to use the security system for door chime, etc. We have never had a phone line and have never had the system monitored. The trouble codes 3 and 4 (now only 4) just started showing up and causing the system to alert us about 2 years ago. Back then, we just disconnected the power and forgot about it. I, recently, decided that I wanted to restart it and try to figure it out.
Any ideas as to why it would have been totally fine without trouble until then?

Old 05-20-21, 04:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Depends on some of the settings made in the system configuration. If there were no automatic check ins programmed, until something that was configured to try to send to the central station happened, like a system trouble or an alarm trip, the system would stay dormant.

There are really no universal answers, because every alarms configuration is basically unique.

While you might not have had phone service activated (no dialtone) up til recently, the phone companies maintained carrier voltage on unused lines (which is what the TLM feature actually monitors).

Old 05-20-21, 05:07 PM
E
Ok, that makes sense.
Thank you so much for your help!
I think I am going to have to do the factory reset. When I do this, can you tell me what I'll have to program and how to do it?
I have 8 zones-
1. Basement door (main entrance/exit)
2. Door A
3. Door B
4. Door C
5. Kitchen glassbreak
6.den glassbreak
7. Bedroom glassbreak (I jumpered this one)
8. Motion (Hallway)

I really hope this is not too big of an ask. I can read through the other threads to try and figure it out, if needed.

Old 05-20-21, 06:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Programming worksheets: https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13805
Installer manual: http://alarmhow.net/manuals/DSC/Intr...n%20Manual.pdf

Assuming that door A, B, and C are perimeter zones:
*8 [installer code]
01 03 03 03 04 04 04 05
##
Since it sounds like your system is configured for NC zones instead of EOL, you will also need to change that setting.
*8 [installer code]
press 1 to turn ON option 1
##
You will also have to go back and turn off the TLM feature and dialer, as previously described, because they default to turned on.

Old 05-21-21, 12:19 PM
E
Thank you! It worked perfectly and all is well with thre alarm! I appreciate your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: