Various Ademco keypads

Old 07-23-21, 06:08 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Various Ademco keypads

I'm sorry - this question has probably been asked a million times already.

I have an ademco vista 20p system that (knock on wood) has been working great for years. I was going through a pile of scraps today and I found an old 6162rf keypad which at one point worked great but I could no longer read the lettering on the display. So I bought a new one. At one point I had dreams of trying to simply replace the little screen and have a backup keypad. Well time has passed and I have done nothing with that idea.

- do you think it is possible to replace the screen ? Is there a comparable (cheaper) model I might be able to pull the screen from ?

- if not - I don't understand all these various keypads. I understand the RF part means it has wireless support. (I only have wireless devices by the way - maybe 30? of them). But what is the difference between the 6160RF and the 6161RF and the 6162RF. ?

- I live in a world (Mexico) where I like to have a backup for everything electronical on hand because when I need it I can never find it or it takes months for it to arive.

Thanks

Old 07-23-21, 02:50 PM
S
Received 16 Upvotes on 16 Posts
Is your current system hard wired or wireless?

Old 07-23-21, 03:04 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The box is hardwired. I mean it plugs into the wall. The only other wires coming out of the box is for the keypad (6162rf) and the alarm (which is currently not connected).

I just dug up a worksheet for our system.
Looks like we have roughly 32 zones. I left a gap between zone type 3 and zone type 4 (zone type 4 are currently inactive).

Looks like everything is on partition 1 and all input types are 3.

All this stuff meant so much to me when I set it up (with lots of help from Mr Ron). But I'm getting old and to be honest - I'm lost. Why did I need to buy a 6162rf over a 6160rf ? They are soo much more expensive.

But please don't lose sight of my other question - can I replace the screen of a 6162rf from another device.

Thanks

Old 07-23-21, 05:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
No, the screens for the 6162 are specific to that series of keypads.

Functionally there is no difference between a 6162 and a 6160. It's a more decorative design, and is a little more energy efficient, but functionally, they are interchangeable. Just remember, you just get the one wireless receiver on a V20p.

Old 07-26-21, 06:02 AM
S
Received 16 Upvotes on 16 Posts
OK, so your panel is hardwired but all the sensors are wireless (hence the XXXXRF keypad). You should be able to swap out a 6162RF for a 6160RF and the sensor programming shouldn't be affected (its all in the panel) but you will need to address the new keypad.

As to why the 6162RF vs the 6160RF, the 6162 has a more intuitive menu system that the 6160. The 6160 is a bit cryptic when it comes to programming (though not as bad as the 6150).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: