Convert from GE NX6 panel to Honeywell V20 ??

Old 08-12-21, 10:08 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Convert from GE NX6 panel to Honeywell V20 ??

Is it possible to use the hardwired sensors/devices currently on a GE NX6 in a Honeywell V20?
I need to replace the GE panel because it is fried and a POS.

Old 08-13-21, 03:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Hardwired devices are essentially universal, since they are just dumb switches. You just have to change the end of line resistor on the loop to match the new system. Your siren may have to change, because the default kit used with NX panels shipped with a speaker instead of a 12v siren.

stinga voted this post useful.
Old 08-14-21, 08:36 PM
S
Thanks for that answer!

The reason I may be replacing the GE panel is because the main keypad service light is on and *2 indicates led 6 (no telephone signal) but I do have dial tone in the panel at entry to RJ31X and at the terminals on the panel. Also, the fire led appears to be flashing quickly. I have dropped power to system, and various other attempts to resolve the issue. The secondary keypad in bedroom is showing no errors and I can arm the system, trip an alarm, disarm, etc... from the secondary. Thinking the keypad may be at fault? I suppose I could try to switch the keypads and see if the problem moves with the keypad to determine if it is the keypad?
Could a weak backup battery cause this anomaly?

Old 08-15-21, 05:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Replacing it is probably not a bad plan, long term, because UTC/Interlogix got out of the intrusion alarm business, and these are now orphaned systems.

That said: A flashing fire light normally means that a fire zone is in a trouble state (i.e. not seeing the end of line resistor). If you _don't_ have a fire zone on your system, then that means that the electronics of the firmware is likely starting to fail. Much the same applies with the telephone issue. If your system is successfully communicating with the central station, and you have dialtone/telco voltage at the R & T phone terminals on the board, then simply entering your arm/disarm code should clear the telephone trouble.

User manual: https://www.themonitoringcenter.com/..._Caddx_NX6.pdf
Installer manual: https://www.surveillance-video.com/m...X-6-Manual.pdf

Old 08-15-21, 02:09 PM
S
Okay! I can hold on to some money for awhile!
I swapped the location of the keypads; master BR to foyer and foyer to master BR.
The problematic keypad from the foyer location still displaying the invalid information and the one
that I move from the BR to the Foyer is working as it should. I tested with monitoring facility on the phone with me. All is good except that I am now down one NX-1300E keypad.
The last time I replaced one I found it for around $56 which I thought was steep for a keypad. Now if you can find one it is $115 or more.
I can do with one keypad at the entry door but wondering if there is another keypad of reasonable price that could be used instead of the NX-1300E series in the master BR.

Old 08-15-21, 02:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Intrusion alarm keypads are brand/product line specific, there's no third party solution. Here's the list of models that are supposed to be compatible: https://www.interlogix.com/intrusion...eaders?brand=8

Old 08-19-21, 04:52 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I work mostly with Napco and Honeywell products and occasionally replace nx6 and nx8 systems. I may have a keypad that will work with your system... I will check tomorrow and see if I have one...

Old 08-20-21, 06:31 AM
S
I found a used one on ebay that I invested $30+ in and it would not work at all. Rapid flashing service led and *2 provided no results as to error code. looks like money invested in a piece of junk. I think we are going to just have to get used to not having a keypad in bedroom since the one that was installed there is now at the entry door where the original problematic keypad was located.

Is it possible for the backup battery to cause keypad issues if it is low on power?

Old 08-20-21, 09:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The fact that the good one works in either location eliminates wiring as a possible issue. No, if it was a global problem, like battery, both keypads would be affected.

The one think to check, did you change the address of the "new" keypad to match the one that you removed? Two keypads set to the same address might get odd behavior.

Old 08-20-21, 02:10 PM
S
Cool

It just gets more and more weird!

I think both keypads may have been set to keypad 1 because of the way they were wired?

There is only one set of KP terminals in the control panel. That may or may not be normal; I am not a professional!

The wiring is thus:

The front entry door location is wired:
White --> KP POS
Red --> KP POS
Black --> KP COM
Green --> KP DATA

The master bedroom location is wired:
White --> not used
Red --> KP POS
Black --> KP COM
Green --> KP DATA

I think I remember years ago the installer having an issue with one of the wires to the entry door keypad so he may have just connected both the white and red at the control panel and the keypad positive connector.

The "new" keypad was totally unresponsive to any button pushes, like *94-prgm code to be able to check or change keypad address.

I suppose I could reconnect what was the main keypad to the master bedroom wiring and see if it will let me get into programming mode but I don't have much faith that would work.

Any other suggestions (short of just going ahead and replacing the whole system with Honeywell system)?

Thanks for your hlep so far!!

Old 08-20-21, 05:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Networx/NX panels only use 3 wires for the keypad connection. The physical connection has nothing to do with addressing. That is a programming function: Do you have the installer manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1629504788454

Old 08-20-21, 08:11 PM
S
Yes, I have the installer/programming manual.

The problem is that neither of the two keypads, old and so called “new”, will go into programming mode because of the service led and service indicator leds that are lit up. I suppose you can’t program a keypad if it is in service mode and can’t clear the errors.

Current status: a keypad is installed in the bedroom and wires are connected but I disconnected all keypad connections for that keypad in the panel. At least it covers the hole in the wall!!

During working in control panel I accidentally disconnected power to motion detector and it took me quite some time to figure out why the motion wasn’t working, discover the loose wire and figure out where it needed to be connected.
I only disturbed neighbors two times!!

Anyway, thanks for your efforts to help me.
I am gonna leave well enough alone for now and save up the money for the Honeywell system and pay for installation.
It might be awhile!

Old 08-21-21, 06:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Being in a service/trouble condition doesn't affect being able to go to programming. If the keypads are none responsive, then I'm starting to suspect that you may actually have a wiring problem. My normal test for that is to disconnect the keypad wiring at the control, and try connecting the keypads directly with a length of known good cable.

It's not impossible that the alarm control is bad, and changing it out _is_ the smart course of action. That way you aren't trying to untangle someone else's logic.

Old 08-21-21, 10:49 AM
S
Cool

I am fairly certain it is not the wiring from the bedroom to the control panel since the keypad that now resides at the foyer entry door came from the bedroom and it was functioning fine before moving it and it continues to function after I moved it from bedroom to foyer.

I don't know about untangling someone elses logic but the wiring in the control panel is a tangled mess!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: