Exterior camera for daytime recording

Old 12-09-21, 12:43 PM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Exterior camera for daytime recording

Could not find a forum that looked like a better fit. Please move as needed.

I need to buy a motion activated exterior camera to monitor a fence line from a distance of 300 feet. Vehicle traffic will be located another 300 feet in the background and may be a problem with getting too much extraneous motion. Only need daytime monitoring but a 24 hour camera would be acceptable. I will need a card capable of monitoring for appx 2 days, minimum, before it over-writes. Will need enough resolution to identify a human face from that distance. Oh, solar powered is preferable.

Are the above parameters reasonably attainable? Any suggestions as to make, model. A camoflouge device would be appropriate. Will a standard game camera fill my need? Thanks.

Old 12-09-21, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Will need enough resolution to identify a human face from that distance
What distance..... 300' ?
Not likely going to happen.
You can identify it's a human face but not who. No detail.

Game cameras aren't usually long distance cameras. I'm seeing 100' max.
This will take some checking into.

Old 12-09-21, 02:12 PM
L
Further information: I do not need access to data to/from a smart phone. I do need video of any movement rather than still photos.

Old 12-09-21, 05:56 PM
L
Pete, I have been doing some reading and find the game cameras substantially under 100 feet so that sort of camera probably is out of the question. I just do not have anything else to attach a camera to except a tree and that is the distance. The target of my interest is not animals so it needs to be more or less hidden from view. The tree would do fine for this but not with a game camera.

Old 12-10-21, 02:54 AM
T
Received 197 Upvotes on 173 Posts
Pete is right about IDing at up to 300'. Would need multiple cameras with different lenses on each; unlikely available with consumer cameras.
Tree mounting is not recommended; leaves, movement from wind, growth.
Sounds like you need a DVR with motion detection.

Old 12-10-21, 07:42 AM
L
DVR with motion is probably what I need but I am 1/2 mile away from power and an outdoor rig would probably be cost prohibitive.

Old 12-10-21, 07:59 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I too, think your scenario is way beyond consumer applications. I have not researched it but 300 ft (100 yds) is a loooong way to capture an facial image good enough to ID.

As for the size of the video card, there's really no way to know how much movement is going to be captured by the camera & how much video will be recorded. I use a couple of dash cams in my 18 wheeler. One is 4K, the other is 1080p. One captures about 10 fps. I'm not sure what the other is but its probably 2 or 3, maybe 4 times that rate.
I use a 64 gb in the 4K for about 2 days & a 32 in the other for about 18 hrs before they loop. Both record constantly.
So, there are many variables.

Old 12-10-21, 11:23 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Well, for what you're looking at, I'd wonder whether an old smartphone in an otterbox/all-weather-case might be the only real solution. That WOULD need a remote way to charge / get data back, and power over 300' is going to be difficult.
BUT, our neighbors have an organic poultry farm, IIRC they found a remote camera that could be powered off the electric fence line, with some DSL style data to control the camera.

It's not a new idea - see e.g. "rural telephone over barbed wire" (hack from 1930s) and NOW
"ethernet over barbed wire" So Good, it works on Barbed Wire

If you're got a fence, you can probably run some sort of wiring through/along the fence, perhaps like POTS phone line?

Last edited by Hal_S; 12-10-21 at 11:39 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: