dsc alarm low battery error

Old 12-20-21, 03:24 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dsc alarm low battery error

Hello,
Is anyone familiar with the DSC PowerSeries PC1832 system? My alarm was throwing off all kinds of errors, Gen sys trouble, Low battery, PC5204 low battery so i tested my batteries with a volt meter ( I have a 12v 7Ah battery and a 12v 4Ah battery in the panel ) . The 12v 7ah battery was bad so i replaced it yesterday, after replacing that battery the gen sys trouble, PC5204 battery message went away. However after 24 hours i still have a simple "low battery" error and a solid yellow light on the panel, The other errors messages are gone. I tested both batteries again and they appear to be ok, I also tested the ac terminals for both batteries and those are ok as well.

Could the second battery still need to be replaced even though the readings are ok?

Old 12-21-21, 02:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
Probably. Typical life span for these type of batteries is 3-5 years, and the system does do an internal load test of the battery. If you are just taking a voltage reading of the battery without a load test, the results are likely to be deceptive.

Old 12-27-21, 07:28 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've noticed on my panel (1832), now i just moved in 12 months ago haven't been able to troubleshoot everything yet but...had low bat alarm, tested panel output, voltage in spec, tested battery it was dead. Replaced battery, trouble did not clear. I performed the tests again and the battery would not get to within the spec'd voltage . Panel output voltage within spec.

Grabbed a 2nd battery when i was at home depot. Same thing....it will not charge to within spec. This is as far as i've gotten. I figure either batteries are pretty poor when bought from amazon or home depot to meet spec, or i have something bad in the panel regulating the voltage (this seems unlikely since voltage output seems ok), when i'm working on the panel next i think way to test that is with my meter inline so i can see it putting out a charge while connected. (but i'm going to go on a limb and say most likely culprit given the close tolerance of battery spec'd voltage to panel spec'd voltage requirement.....it's the batteries, keep getting poor ones).

Old 12-27-21, 09:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The charger voltage should be somewhere in the 13.8-14.2 volt range on a typical charging circuit to keep up with the battery. It's a pretty low current charging rate, and if the battery is relatively low, initially, it can take a while for it to get charged.

That said, as you have pointed out, the quality on some of these sealed lead-acid gel batteries hasn't always been the best, recently.

Old 12-29-21, 11:46 AM
R
One thing i noticed, that battery voltage has to be within spec to run off backup right? the 2 new batteries i got and tested disconnected would not put out their spec'd standby voltage (13.5-13.8) regardless how long they were hooked up weeks month,etc. iirc they tested to output around 13.2. But the panel voltage (without battery) is putting out 13.74 iirc the panel expects around 13.5+ but not sure if that will prevent running off the battery.

Just now putting my meter on it with battery connected, i'm reading about 13.3..if it was charging i'd expect that voltage to read what the panel is putting out too. But if i remove the battery the panel is putting out 13.74 I'm thinking there is something that regulates the charge is bad, there's a suspect looking chip in that area.

Old 12-29-21, 02:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's very possible that the charging circuit on this board has a failed voltage regulator, or rectifier. At this point, if you have access to a battery charger, you can verify the actual condition of your batteries, but I suspect that a main board replacement may be in your future.

Old 12-29-21, 07:41 PM
R
thank you. i think so to. There's a chip there which looks very suspect. I'll replace it, sheesh now i get to get real deep in the programming manual from a fresh start.

Old 12-30-21, 03:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless your system is unusually large, or complex, as long as you know the current zone settings, and can get into programming to check a few other settings, most of the configurations stay at the default.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: