Home Reno - Adding a Wired System now?

Old 12-21-21, 09:59 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Home Reno - Adding a Wired System now?

Hi everyone,

definate newbie who would appreciate some advice. I have some high level thoughts but don't know if im asking the right questions, so please feel free to school me!

I am currently renovating my home, all the walls are open, it felt like the right time to introduce an alarm system, specifically the wiring. I can't say i've fully picked what I want to use yet (im thinking DSC), but hoping from a wiring perspective it won't matter. But please educate me if thats not the case!

I want to ensure I have run all of the correct wires before the walls get closed up, and havent missed anything.

I'm not sure what gauge/type of wiring I should be running, and the runs that I need to have in place. The main alarm unit will go next to my electrical panel in the basement, from there what wiring do I need to run? I think I need as follows;

1) Internal siren
2) External siren
3) Window / Door Sensor (likely wireless as the cost to run the wires may be exhorbitent).
4) Keypad (perhaps 2 keypads, 1 at the garage door and another at the front door). Id like these wired.
5) Firealarms (wired, preferable POE so I can connect to my home automation system too).

What type of wiring should I run? Have I missed anything?

Thank you!
TM

Old 12-21-21, 05:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
The typical gauge used is 22-2 for each door/window contact and 22-4 for keypads and powered devices like motions or glassbreaks. If you want it to be more robust, up the gauge to 18. Siren wires are best with 18ga. Wired smokes/heats need to be on 18ga. Do individual home runs for each connection, it's much more flexible, and easier to configure/troubleshoot.

If you are going with "smart" smoke detectors, they would be run with CAT6, and really wouldn't be integrated with the intrusion alarm system. That's more of a home automation application.

Old 12-21-21, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
If you are going to the trouble of installing a wired alarm system.... then make the smoke detectors wired to it too. It makes for a more effective protection solution.

Smoke detectors can be two or four wire but 18-4 is recommended. It starts at the panel and loops from detector to detector and then ends at the furthest unit. This is a supervised loop. We normally use interior sounders to signal a fire. You can put a sounder in per floor or use 18-6 and install smoke detectors with a sounder (audible) base.

Old 01-30-22, 05:33 PM
T
Appologies for my slow followup.

Thank you both so much for your responses. They have been incredibly helpful!

A few follow up questions. I am likely going with a DSC system so I can connect via envisalink to my Home Automation System.

1) Do I have to use DSC branded window/door sensors or can I use any sensors? What does one look for for "compatability"?

2) Id like tiny/recessed contacts on the windows and doors, something like this. Would these work or would you recommend them? https://www.aartech.ca/vip94-2n/flai...net-white.html

3) What motion detectors would you suggest? I'd like some units that maybe a little nicer/modern than the typical types of units.

Thanks again for your help and direction
TM

Last edited by themistry; 01-30-22 at 05:34 PM. Reason: formatting error
Old 01-30-22, 05:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Wired contacts are basically just magnetically actuated switches, so brand really doesn't matter. Get the size/shape/color/installation method that fits your needs/likes.

Much the same with motions, they all work on 12v so you have to run 4 conductor wire to them. Again, brand doesn't really matter.

Old 02-02-22, 05:47 AM
T
Thanks MrRon,

so for those sensors would I run 18-4 or 18-2 wires?

In terms of sirens, both internal and external - where should these be placed and how many do I need?

My wife wanted a couple internal sirens inside closets so they are hidden away - i wasnt sure if this was a good idea or not.

For external, again are there any ways to conceal the siren?

Thanks
TM

Old 02-02-22, 10:38 AM
T
ignore my wire question above, I realise you meant for the motions, while the door/window sensors will be 22-2.

Help with the sirens would still be helpful, thank you!

TM

Old 02-02-22, 10:55 AM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
If the alarm panel has a built-in siren driver, you will need speakers (Outside speaker below). Using multiple self-contained sirens can overload the alarm output.

If you have gable vents as shown below (or other louvered vents), you can attach the speaker to a piece of wood then attach the wood to the framing with the speaker pointed through the louvers. There is no need for a tamper loop when inside the secured area. If you have a hipped roof you're out of luck for covert

Inside speakers are relatively small and unobtrusive as shown below.

Power from the siren driver will divide between the speakers based on their individual impedance. I recommend wiring the speakers in parallel as opposed to series; this provides a higher impedance load to the driver.

Sorry for the oversize pictures. Resizing while posting seems to have no effect.

Old 02-02-22, 03:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There are several models of interior speakers or sirens, designed to be paintable so they visually blend in. Generally they use the wall surface as a sounding board, so they are surprisingly loud. Here's an example:

https://www.elkproducts.com/product/...echo-siren-74/

Old 02-02-22, 05:26 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Also, if you plan on using the windows and door switches that you showed, I would get the ones that you screw the wire into the switch. Not the one with long white wires as you have to put crimps on them and make it difficult to fish back out of the hole. Get the ones like this:

https://www.aartech.ca/vip94-2tn/fla...ut-magnet.html

In the longrun, you will be happy.

themistry voted this post useful.
Old 02-02-22, 05:32 PM
T
thank you both, super helpful!

So, 1 internal siren and 1 external siren running in parallel to the main alarm panel.

Thank you!
TM

Old 02-03-22, 03:41 PM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
Siren - a self-contained unit that requires 12 Volt DC input
Speaker - requires a varying output from a device (built into the panel or possibly separate)

Yes, sirens would wire in parallel, but many sirens are inefficient, as far is power is concerned, requiring a relatively large current. Be careful of the total current required by more than 1 siren compared to the current available from the alarm terminals of the panel. Trying to draw more current than is available can blow a fuse, trip a circuit breaker or cause the panel to restart.

Speakers are somewhat adjustable, depending on how they are wired. The load they present to the driver can affect the current drawn by the driver.

themistry voted this post useful.
Old 02-04-22, 10:56 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Have you consider Speakers and an Elk 110 voice driver? The Elk driver will give you voice messages for Burglary, Fire, and Carbon Monoxide , also the driver gives the option of English or Spanish. Messages.
If you use the CO messages you will need to install a 12 volt relay to trip the CO Message.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: