Need advices for a good indoor security system

Old 01-16-22, 08:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Need advices for a good indoor security system

Hi everyone,

I spent some time googling trying to find a viable home security system (indoor) but to be honest, based on the reviews they gotÖ thatís terrible. The hard thing is that the top results are really often either sponsored content or companies with big marketing budgets. So searching brings me to bad products to handle security/post-analysis/privacy.

Iím sorry if Iím not easy, I just hope to find a company that is passionate enough for having made a good product. And if you know one I would be thankful!

Below I will describe the main points that would make for me the perfect fit, and having your thoughts on the criterias but also a brand selling this kind of product would be awesome.

(Iím not a native english speaker, forgive me if Iím not clear)

Here it is:

- a pad to disable/enable the security system quickly (fingerprint and code as fallback)
- camera with motion detector on it (with a motorized shutter). It means, when the system is disabled the shutter is closed, it helps for privacy in case the system is hacked, but also when you are at home you feel not observed by the camera. So letís say I enable the alarm system, the shutter will open, and once the motion detector detects something the camera will start recording (I donít want it to record for nothing and when there is no alert, it brings no value, is not eco-friendlyÖ)
- once a motion is detected:
ó the video is recorded and should be streamed to a local and online storage (online just in case the thieves take the local storage)
ó the backup (local/online) is encrypted (no need of a high secret, just a password is enough)
ó an alarm will ring to try making the thieves afraid (due to neighborhood hearing the alarm)
- the alarm should stop by itself after X minutes (to avoid disturbing neighborhood in case of false-positive)
- ideally the system components should be powered by wires, with a small battery on them to handle a power outage of a few hours
- since a wireless signal can be jammed, I would rather prefer the system components to communicate over the electrical network of my home (this is possible thanks to PLC (power-line communication) already broadly used when WiFi does not cross walls)
- in case the thieves take down the internet router, having a fallback solution like GSM communication would help uploading the alarm trigger with video even if everything seems down
- the system should monitor itself:
ó if the internet connection is not working for more than X minutes, it should send a notification through the fallback signal tunnel (GSM ?)
ó if the system components are on battery (due to electrical outage), it should also send a notification (probably through fallback signal tunnel since the internet router would be down)
- more related to the product itself, not doing false-positive when a pet passes would be a bonus ^^

End of the list! I know itís a lot of criterias but for security I donít feel Iím too demanding since all public products I found do a part of those criterias (but not the majority of criterias), I just donít find something bringing everything in one offer.

Trying to combine multiple systems would probably not be efficient at all, doing it myself would require a team and a budgetÖ I still have the hope of an existing product

Do not hesitate if something is unclear.

Thank you in advance,

Top Answer

01-17-22, 11:10 AM
Jimmiee
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
Just keep it in mind that most (if not all) the "retail" type alarm systems are not designed by companies who are in, the security alarm business. Those line Nest, Simplysafe, Ring, to name the most popular. These systems are made and marketed to and for the end user only and are considered basically as toys by most professional alarm installation companies. But since they are backed by Google / Amazon they have access to their deep pockets to be marketed unlike professional alarm equipment manufacturers.
You are not going to find the robust, comprehensive features in those product although they do profess to possess them Simplysafe has been (shall I say ) chastised by various agencies for making false and misleading claims about their products, They claim the will modify advertising but I don't see any evidence of that. Ring has recently tried to overcome this stigma by pandering to the professional trade by offering whet it refers to as exclusive professional products. This is something that has been tried for decades even in the professional trade by other companies who, I might say, are no longer with us. But I wouldn't expect these popular retail alarm equipment providers to be aware of that and if they are and persist, we can only hope they meet the same fate as their predecessors.
You are looking for a system with professional features. If you want to do it yourself using professional equipment, it is available but your learning curve is steep.Very Steep! And - - - - once this system is installed, with all it's complications, I'd ask you - - - -
Once the system is installed and working the way you imagined, and it works for three or four years flawlessly. How much of what you had to learn to install it are you going to remember. How much are you going to have to "re" learn to troubleshoot your problem. And if you "then" decide to call in a professional to fix your problem, once finding out that it was installed by an "end user" you are likely going to find it somewhat difficult finding someone willing to touch the system.
That is a distinct advantage of having a professional install your system in that they are in touch with the equipment every day. They don't have to "re" learn anything.
And lastly, I think you are going to be struck dumb by the cost of your proposed system which ever way you choose to go.

Old 01-16-22, 01:09 PM
S
Received 17 Upvotes on 17 Posts
Based upon your needs (I'm not sure if all of them can be met), I think you need to consult a professional security company (NOT ADT, etc).

Old 01-16-22, 02:09 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
A dog!

Old 01-17-22, 12:35 AM
D
@sktn77a I may ask a professional indeed, I'm just so surprised this kind of "privacy/redundancy" is not embedded in common products (I'm not requiring military stuff ^^).

@Marq1 I would not take a dog just for security purposes, and I don't think it would be good conditions in a flat

Old 01-17-22, 11:10 AM
J
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
Just keep it in mind that most (if not all) the "retail" type alarm systems are not designed by companies who are in, the security alarm business. Those line Nest, Simplysafe, Ring, to name the most popular. These systems are made and marketed to and for the end user only and are considered basically as toys by most professional alarm installation companies. But since they are backed by Google / Amazon they have access to their deep pockets to be marketed unlike professional alarm equipment manufacturers.
You are not going to find the robust, comprehensive features in those product although they do profess to possess them Simplysafe has been (shall I say ) chastised by various agencies for making false and misleading claims about their products, They claim the will modify advertising but I don't see any evidence of that. Ring has recently tried to overcome this stigma by pandering to the professional trade by offering whet it refers to as exclusive professional products. This is something that has been tried for decades even in the professional trade by other companies who, I might say, are no longer with us. But I wouldn't expect these popular retail alarm equipment providers to be aware of that and if they are and persist, we can only hope they meet the same fate as their predecessors.
You are looking for a system with professional features. If you want to do it yourself using professional equipment, it is available but your learning curve is steep.Very Steep! And - - - - once this system is installed, with all it's complications, I'd ask you - - - -
Once the system is installed and working the way you imagined, and it works for three or four years flawlessly. How much of what you had to learn to install it are you going to remember. How much are you going to have to "re" learn to troubleshoot your problem. And if you "then" decide to call in a professional to fix your problem, once finding out that it was installed by an "end user" you are likely going to find it somewhat difficult finding someone willing to touch the system.
That is a distinct advantage of having a professional install your system in that they are in touch with the equipment every day. They don't have to "re" learn anything.
And lastly, I think you are going to be struck dumb by the cost of your proposed system which ever way you choose to go.

ChosunOne, ThisOldMan voted this post useful.
Old 01-29-22, 07:47 AM
W
In my limited experience (a homeowner with one alarm DIY 10 years ago under his belt), I can agree with all 3 replies.

I did my system after a burglary (kinda like closing the barn door after the horses have all gotten out), and the police who responded said a dog is by far the #1 deterrent because they are an unknown quantity (is it loud, or vicious? don't know...) to a sensible intruder who really does not want to get caught. But understandable that an animal on the premises is not always possible.

I did not want to pay the big monitoring subscription fees that the big-name companies were asking, so I decided to DIY. That led me to look at wireless systems, because I did not want the complexity of running wires for 10-20 sensors in a 2-story home. At that time, the DSC products appeared to be the most professionally built, and had the distinct advantage of a very low-profile window sensor that fit my windows (all other brand's sensors were much larger and would not fit well).

The upside - the system is very capable with lots of customization of how each sensor ("zone") behaves.
The downside - you have to learn to navigate the programming (but it's not difficult, just tedious, and the instructions from DSC were EXCELLENT).

You may not be able to meet all of your objectives, but I'd recommend checking what DSC has to offer these days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: