Electric Door Strike is Silent, Visitors Unaware It's Unlocked

Old 01-24-22, 01:56 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Electric Door Strike is Silent, Visitors Unaware It's Unlocked

I have an ABB system installed for my driveway gate and entry door. It works fine. But the most frustrating part is that the door strike, when activated, is silent. So when I "buzz" guests in there is no "buzz" and they just stand there staring into the camera.

Is there a way to add a buzz to the strike??

Thanks,
Adam.

Top Answer

01-24-22, 03:07 PM
MrRonFL
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
Sure. Depending on exactly how your wiring is done, you can wire in a piezo buzzer, or chime, to the same wires that power the strike so that it gets power when the strike is active. You just have to get one that takes the same voltage. It doesn't even need to be on the strike, itself, as long as it's close enough to be audible.

Old 01-24-22, 03:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
Sure. Depending on exactly how your wiring is done, you can wire in a piezo buzzer, or chime, to the same wires that power the strike so that it gets power when the strike is active. You just have to get one that takes the same voltage. It doesn't even need to be on the strike, itself, as long as it's close enough to be audible.

2john02458, agershon voted this post useful.
Old 01-25-22, 08:52 AM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
Assuming your ABB Intercom powers the strike with DC (dangerous word; assume), you could probably power the strike with a transformer (which is AC), and use a DC relay powered from the intercom to switch AC power to the strike.

But it's probably simpler to do as MrRonFL suggested.

Old 01-25-22, 08:53 AM
A
So simple, so smart. Thank you Ron!
Now to track down the voltage of the system .....

Old 01-25-22, 09:04 AM
T
Remove the strike and look at the body. The voltage should be marked on it. If marked with both AC and DC voltages and they are different, be sure to use the DC voltage. I doubt the strike has a built-in rectifier.

But, If there is a rectifier at the strike, just remove it and the strike will buzz.

agershon voted this post useful.
Old 01-26-22, 10:43 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I think that my doorbell simply strikes the sounding bar on energizing and again on deenergizing. If the correct voltage, it would not take anything else if it sees current for as long as you hold the momentary switch. Briefly press it to sound the ding dong, and then hold longer for the guest to realize it is unlocked. Wire in parallel with your electric latch.

Old 01-27-22, 09:22 AM
A
Update: Wiring in the piezo worked. Thanks everyone for their input. Now, I'm on the hunt for a better sounding buzzer. The one I got on amazon sounds pretty wimpy! More of a whine than a buzz.

ThisOldMan voted this post useful.
Old 01-27-22, 11:43 AM
T
I'm on the hunt for a better sounding buzzer. The one I got on amazon sounds pretty wimpy! More of a whine than a buzz.
Just be aware of how much current other piezos draw. The current avaiable is limited for safety reasons; probably a Class II power supply. If the strike is erratic, the piezo is probably drawing too much current.
Happy hunting!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: